PDA

View Full Version : The Quad Fold Microfiber Towel

jmikolich
06-01-2016, 11:19 AM
I must be doing it wrong, I try to fold my MF towels in to nice neat hand sized squares before wiping off some wax etc, but everytime they end up in a mushy balled up pile underneath my hand. Is there some trick to keep the towels from balling up?

For example, do you always orient the seams of the fold? or are you using your thumb to hold? perhaps I'm applying too much pressure in an attempt to buff off some wax? Is my car not as clean as I think it is so the towel is grabbing the paint?

Example: sprayed a hood with maybe 8-10 sprays of Optimum Car Wax, went to remove immediately with Gold Jr towel, and after 1 pass on the hood, had a balled up towel crinkled under my palm. Said okay, wiped down rest of hood, then grabbed new clean Gold Jr and folded and wiped with 4 quadrant method and no problems once the wax had bonded to the paint.

Vehicle was clayed 2 weeks ago, and freshly washed using 2BM & CG Maxi Suds II soap, baggie test was smooth but not glass smooth (another question for another thread)

frankprozzoly
06-01-2016, 12:13 PM
I use short nap towels to remove wax. Alot of towels will grab

Mantilgh
06-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Here's an thread by Mike.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29230-how-correctly-fold-use-microfiber-towel.html

And a tip...8-10 sprays of Optimum's Car Wax is probably enough to do a whole car.

LSNAutoDetailing
06-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Start in the middle of the area that has product to be removed by doing a small twist left / twist right.
Pull the towel away, and you'll see you created a small circle of product removed, place the towel back in the center and start doing small circles outwards from the center. And as mentioned always use the short nap side of the MF towel. Flip the towel and give it a second wipe.

See 7:30 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN3u1xuGY-8

Once you've exhausted all sides of the towel (in various folds) get a new towel. The nap of the MF will load up with product and become ineffective. I go through probably 40 or more or so (depending on the project and cond of the car) MF towels during a detail...

I keep towels separated:

Gold Plush Jr. (older towels) for compound and polish removal (once they get linty, I throw them out).
Gold Plush Jr. (NEW towels) for LSP and final wipe down.
Generic Brand MF Towels (interior only)
Black MF towels (Trim, door jams, wheels, etc...)
White Waffle towels - Glass.

Hope all this helps!

idriveblackcars
06-01-2016, 01:04 PM
op it's an art form lol.

RangerDetails
06-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Once a wax has cured you should be able to buff it off with little to no effort. Almost no pressure on the towel. It may depend on the type of wax.

jmikolich
06-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Here's an thread by Mike.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29230-how-correctly-fold-use-microfiber-towel.html

And a tip...8-10 sprays of Optimum's Car Wax is probably enough to do a whole car.

The quantity of wax is probably the issue (partly) and I'm following exactly as Mike has written in the thread

Start in the middle of the area that has product to be removed by doing a small twist left / twist right.
Pull the towel away, and you'll see you created a small circle of product removed, place the towel back in the center and start doing small circles outwards from the center. And as mentioned always use the short nap side of the MF towel. Flip the towel and give it a second wipe.

See 7:30 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN3u1xuGY-8

Once you've exhausted all sides of the towel (in various folds) get a new towel. The nap of the MF will load up with product and become ineffective. I go through probably 40 or more or so (depending on the project and cond of the car) MF towels during a detail...

I keep towels separated:

Gold Plush Jr. (older towels) for compound and polish removal (once they get linty, I throw them out).
Gold Plush Jr. (NEW towels) for LSP and final wipe down.
Generic Brand MF Towels (interior only)
Black MF towels (Trim, door jams, wheels, etc...)
White Waffle towels - Glass.

Hope all this helps!

I understand the breaking of the surface tension for when a wax has hardened/hazed, but with a spray wax I don't see how the twist method helps? or maybe it does by creating a thin film on the MF nap.

Once a wax has cured you should be able to buff it off with little to no effort. Almost no pressure on the towel. It may depend on the type of wax.

When i apply XMT Carn glaze or 845, I have no issue with it but this spray wax is different.

I also may need to adjust using different towels, I always am using a longer nap MF towel because internally I just assume they are safer for paint.. perhaps I need to start using the "Cost...Co" yellow towels for wax removal, instead of the cobra Jr.

Mantilgh
06-01-2016, 02:50 PM
It can be "grabby" on dry paint so it may be the product. You could try it with the damp towel to see if it makes a difference.

I use it a lot on "wet" paint. Wet with rinseless or water.