PDA

View Full Version : Iron Dissolving Wheel Cleaners - Powdercoat

chefwong
05-31-2016, 05:19 PM
OT, but just got a new bottle of wheel cleaner. Nothing new to me, EXCEPT it has a big new sticker that says "Don't use on powdercoated wheels".

FWIW, just thinking outloud, but 90% of the wheels I have used with the "3" brands of said wheel cleaners I've had no issues.

Called the manuf. up. Apparently, these has been 2 or 3 incidents with end user leaving it on the wheels, etc......

Just curious, have you seen any damage using similar cleaners on p-coated wheels.

Octopiston
05-31-2016, 06:38 PM
Not with griots hd

swanicyouth
05-31-2016, 06:51 PM
Dunno. Makes no sense. A lot of wheels are powder coated. Powder coating is tougher than "paint".

How would anyone know??? Are you supposed to call up the company in Austria that makes BMW wheels and ask them what processes they use to apply paint to a certain wheel.

Ridiculous, IMHO.

I'm going to sell a super powerful wheel cleaner, it's going to say:

"Don't use on metal, chrome, iron, bare aluminum, painted aluminum, painted steel, magnesium, alloy, Plasti-Dipped, powder coated, plastic coated, or round wheels" on the bottle.

I'd say ditch this wheel cleaner.

oldmodman
05-31-2016, 08:04 PM
I have been using Iron-X and Sonax on powdercoated wheels for a couple of years now without a single difficulty.

Except that sometimes I wish they were even more potent. I hate having to wash and wash and wash to get 10 years of brake crud off the barrels.

chefwong
05-31-2016, 09:20 PM
I have been using Iron-X and Sonax on powdercoated wheels for a couple of years now without a single difficulty.

Except that sometimes I wish they were even more potent. I hate having to wash and wash and wash to get 10 years of brake crud off the barrels.

Use the fluid appropriate for the medium you're working with.....I still use Meg WB for when I don't want to spend all day scrubbing.
Pressure washer helps A TON with traditional iron dissolving cleaners though..

FUNX650
05-31-2016, 09:52 PM
OT, but just got a new bottle of wheel cleaner.
Nothing new to me,
EXCEPT it has a big new sticker that says
"Don't use on powdercoated wheels".

FWIW, just thinking outloud, but 90% of the
wheels I have used with the "3" brands of
said wheel cleaners I've had no issues.

Called the manuf. up. Apparently, these
has been 2 or 3 incidents with end user
leaving it on the wheels, etc......

Just curious, have you seen any damage
using similar cleaners on p-coated wheels.

•To me...in the case of buying
"iron dissolving wheel-cleaners":
-I always try to buy products that will assist
in amplifying my skills---allowing me to perform
wheel cleaning processes safer, faster, easier---
did I say safer---and/or in an excellent fashion.

•I am also in the habit of following
the car-care products manufacturers':
"do's-and-don'ts", warnings, dangers,
recommendations, etc.

Bob