PDA

View Full Version : Can I use car compound/ polish on gel-coat?

choijw2
05-31-2016, 11:06 AM
First of all, I have 0 experience with boat/ jet ski gel coat paint correction.

My friend asked me if I can restore his jet ski, but since I have no experience,
we made a deal that if he buys me few of Marine 31 products for me, I will do it for free.

For now we ordered Marine heavy cut compound and AIO polish and planning to wet-sand and buff.

I did some research and looks like collinite is popular for LSP but when it comes to using car compound/ polish,
I see many difference opinions.

So .... can anyone clearfy me if its okay to use such as menzerna on gel-coat?

Thanks.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-31-2016, 11:36 AM
As someone who moved from detailing automobiles to boats - no. There is a difference. When I started out on boats, I used automotive compounds and polishes. I got so-so results along with significantly increased product usage. I tried several marine products and I finally landed on a few products that give amazing results and very little product usage.

choijw2
05-31-2016, 11:44 AM
As someone who moved from detailing automobiles to boats - no. There is a difference. When I started out on boats, I used automotive compounds and polishes. I got so-so results along with significantly increased product usage. I tried several marine products and I finally landed on a few products that give amazing results and very little product usage.

Thank you!

How about using wax/ sealant? I see a lot of people using collinite 495

damaged442
06-01-2016, 08:32 AM
I just used XMT 360 on gelcoats with good results. I just did my 1989 MasterCraft Tristar 190 and my fathers 1981 MasterCraft Skier 19 Stars and Stripes with it. I am sure there is better stuff out there, but I thought both boats turned out very well. It was more of a science experiment for me this spring. I just wanted to see how it would turn out and how much product I would use. (Plus, I ran out of the Collinite 920 Boat cleaner that I normally use!) I used less than 8 oz for the two boats total.

For waxes, I use Collinite 925 or 845.