PDA

View Full Version : starting to regret my Mark 2 purchase

DASTaylor
05-31-2016, 12:13 AM
Wow after reading through a few threads and experiencing almost all of the issues i have read about myself, i am starting to wonder if my mark 2 (21 in my case) was the right choice. With all of the controversy between right and wrong techniques and who's using what with the polisher it was NEVER this much of an issue with other machines.. Getting into Rupes for the first time i had no idea you had to use their entire system to be effective and to minimize issues? (atleast this is what I'm reading from many people) and i even use all rupes pads with it. I just wish their was a warning when i spent over $900.00 to have it shipped to Canada when the next option would have been $500.00. No other machine i have ever used no matter what other people say has gone through pads like the mark 2 and apparently a lot of people agree. I just don't have the money to switch everything to rupes polishes and pads atm. It really sucks!:(

Right now i am using Blue,Green,Yellow Rupes pads and M105 and M205

might start looking into the flex or GG any recommendations?

** i should add that when i am not having issues the machine corrects and feels, which makes the thought of switching very hard

idriveblackcars
05-31-2016, 05:10 AM
I am far from a pro but can get my mk2 to perform great now with almost any type of pad/product combo.

I had issues at first but lowered my speed and everything performs great,machine and pads.

I have used Rupes pads and polish with zero issues and M100 and M205(I don't like M105).

Hell I even used CG pads and polish to work great on these machines and everyone on here hates CG lol.

So for the folks who can provide a real insight to your problem you may have to give a little bit more info like how you are priming the pads, speed settings etc.

Keep in mind Rupes blue pads do have a habit of breaking apart, and I usually avoid those. I rather just use microfiber cutting pads if I need it.

KMG
05-31-2016, 08:33 AM
I really don't want this to sounds wrong, but it sounds more to me like a user error then a machine issue. I have zero issues with my mkII or any of my other Rupes machines. When you realize that you do not need to have the mkII running at 5-6 all the time, you will no longer have issues with it tearing up pads. I rarely go above 4-4.5 on my mkII as this will be the equivalent of 5-6 on the original Rupes machines. You are also very misinformed about needing to use all Rupes products. I use very few Rupes products with my machines and have little to no issues. The only issues I have had with the mkII was more of an issue with Meguiar's MF pads, and I think that is more of an issue with the pad then the machine itself.

Again don't take this personally, you spent a good deal of money now you just need to learn to properly use it.

lane5515
05-31-2016, 08:45 AM
I don't think it's the machine and I'd suggest moving away from the 105/205 polishes to start. You don't need to use their entire system - I rarely use the Rupes pads with my MKII. Everyone has different polishes they prefer and like to use but since you're not getting the results you want with 105/205 I thought I'd suggest some alternatives. GG Fast Correcting Cream/Sealant, Schools S3 Gold/S20 Black, CarPro Essence/Reflect, and HD Speed/Adapt to name a few will give excellent results while operating your MKII at lower speeds. The polishes I listed are just some of my favorites and have worked very well with my MKII. Like IDRIVEBLACKCARS stated, lower speeds (4-4.5 for correcting / 4 for finishing) will produce fantastic results and not be so hard on the pads.

manateemark
05-31-2016, 08:57 AM
I know that m105 and m205 are solvent based products and the rupes pads are designed to be used with water based polishes. The rupes pads I have had no problem polishing a Tacoma this weekend. I only really went through 1 3in pad but I didn't harm any of the 7in pads. I know that fg400 and fs4000 will tear up rupes pads, especially the green ones. I would try the whole system before quitting.

dschia
05-31-2016, 09:14 AM
You probably wouldnt need to use the entire rupes system but using suitable pads for long throw buffer like the LC hd orbital and Buff and shine low-pro and many others will make alot of difference. Just rotate your pads more often to prevent over saturation of products and heat accumulation which in my opinion is best practices for polishing work. It is the same for all machines, just that mk2 power and orbit amplify the issues. Dont regret on the MK2, it is definitely one of its kind at the moment compared to the many clones especially at speed 5 and 6. I will be glad to have a more powerful machine where I can choose to use at a lower speed and ramp up when needed than to use a under powered one.

DASTaylor
05-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the replys everyone i am doing a 2 stage correction today and will try all of the helpful tips, Unfortunately i can't change my polishes as its all i have atm but will have to look into switching i guess. thanks for all the help.

DASTaylor
05-31-2016, 10:02 AM
I don't think it's the machine and I'd suggest moving away from the 105/205 polishes to start. You don't need to use their entire system - I rarely use the Rupes pads with my MKII. Everyone has different polishes they prefer and like to use but since you're not getting the results you want with 105/205 I thought I'd suggest some alternatives. GG Fast Correcting Cream/Sealant, Schools S3 Gold/S20 Black, CarPro Essence/Reflect, and HD Speed/Adapt to name a few will give excellent results while operating your MKII at lower speeds. The polishes I listed are just some of my favorites and have worked very well with my MKII. Like IDRIVEBLACKCARS stated, lower speeds (4-4.5 for correcting / 4 for finishing) will produce fantastic results and not be so hard on the pads.

Thank you very much!

DASTaylor
05-31-2016, 11:30 AM
I am far from a pro but can get my mk2 to perform great now with almost any type of pad/product combo.

I had issues at first but lowered my speed and everything performs great,machine and pads.

I have used Rupes pads and polish with zero issues and M100 and M205(I don't like M105).

Hell I even used CG pads and polish to work great on these machines and everyone on here hates CG lol.

So for the folks who can provide a real insight to your problem you may have to give a little bit more info like how you are priming the pads, speed settings etc.

Keep in mind Rupes blue pads do have a habit of breaking apart, and I usually avoid those. I rather just use microfiber cutting pads if I need it.

Hey thanks for the info, and this is good news for me then as i just received 2 new bottles of 105/205 and don't really want to buy any other polishes atm if i don't have too. as for priming i would cover the surface of the pad with product to start and then 4 pea size amounts of product from there after each pass. spray of spray wax here and there to loosen up some product in the pad (Don't do this all the time tho) would that be to much?

I also don't use the blue pads, when needed i use meguiars mf cutting discs.

i also normally cut at 4.5-5

and polish at 4

but will be lowering that to basically using 3.5-4 polish and 4 for cutting.

DASTaylor
05-31-2016, 11:35 AM
I really don't want this to sounds wrong, but it sounds more to me like a user error then a machine issue. I have zero issues with my mkII or any of my other Rupes machines. When you realize that you do not need to have the mkII running at 5-6 all the time, you will no longer have issues with it tearing up pads. I rarely go above 4-4.5 on my mkII as this will be the equivalent of 5-6 on the original Rupes machines. You are also very misinformed about needing to use all Rupes products. I use very few Rupes products with my machines and have little to no issues. The only issues I have had with the mkII was more of an issue with Meguiar's MF pads, and I think that is more of an issue with the pad then the machine itself.

Again don't take this personally, you spent a good deal of money now you just need to learn to properly use it.

I would agree this is my issue then i will keep trying, how often do you change your pads at those speeds?

at the moment i switch pads every pass or 2 to keep cool.

RaskyR1
05-31-2016, 12:10 PM
Wow after reading through a few threads and experiencing almost all of the issues i have read about myself, i am starting to wonder if my mark 2 (21 in my case) was the right choice. With all of the controversy between right and wrong techniques and who's using what with the polisher it was NEVER this much of an issue with other machines.. Getting into Rupes for the first time i had no idea you had to use their entire system to be effective and to minimize issues? (atleast this is what I'm reading from many people) and i even use all rupes pads with it. I just wish their was a warning when i spent over $900.00 to have it shipped to Canada when the next option would have been $500.00. No other machine i have ever used no matter what other people say has gone through pads like the mark 2 and apparently a lot of people agree. I just don't have the money to switch everything to rupes polishes and pads atm. It really sucks!:(

Right now i am using Blue,Green,Yellow Rupes pads and M105 and M205

might start looking into the flex or GG any recommendations?

** i should add that when i am not having issues the machine corrects and feels, which makes the thought of switching very hard

I don't use Rupes pads or polishes with my MKII and I have had zero pad failures. Tool speed and pressure are likely the cause with people having failures, not pad/product choice. I rarely see a need to go above speed 3. As a wise detailing buda once said, "work smarter, not faster".

Dylan@RUPES
06-01-2016, 06:45 PM
The eventual conclusion - technique adjustment fixes all.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/101894-wow-i-love-my-rupes-mk2-again.html

Only sharing here in case anyone stumbles on this thread, but doesn't find the result thread. Cheers!

rlmccarty2000
06-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Yep, slow that bad boy down. Many a fine job was done with the original Rupes. I still am using mine and don't put it on 6. The mkII on 6 would be bad on paint and pads, lmho. I stay on steering 4, which with the new Rupes equates to 2 I guess.