PDA

View Full Version : First viewing of Competition Ready

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RTexasF
05-28-2016, 08:00 PM
First viewing of Competition Ready

Last night I watched Competition Ready for the first time. This was the 40 Ford that was in serious need of the professionals shown. They delivered in SPADES! I do realize it is in its infancy but I was very disappointed. Lines/expressions are obviously staged, there is little mention or showing of proper procedure or equipment, and the problems of the car being worked on are not explained to the common Joe.

The show needs to go more in depth to explain the problems and the fixes in the time allotted. The entire show is a great showing for Autogeek, including the commercials, but there is no information for the viewer that wants to learn. This totally contradicts the Autogeek premise of teach everyone so they can learn and perform. This show should reach to those that know little to nothing yet it is set up in "expert" mode.

I am not complaining just expressing my opinion having seen only one show. I'd say it needs more Mike Phillips explaining what's going on, and why, as opposed to "Here's the finished product."
There's too much Velocity here and not enough Autogeek and Mike Phillips. Autogeek has built itself on products, instruction, and results. Thanks to Mr. Phillips this is now the place where any sodbuster can go to learn via reading, video, forum members, and his books. Make Velocity understand your philosophy and make the show reflect that. TEACH, don't just perform.

Respectfully,

RTexasF

expdetailing
05-28-2016, 08:14 PM
When and where is it aired?

GlazeMan81
05-28-2016, 09:48 PM
I tend to agree with you RTexasF. While I was extremely excited and looking forward to a show dedicated to one of my passions, I felt it was a staged product commercial. I want to be positive, but to be honest, I do not care if I catch the next episodes or not. It's not discussing topics, or options on approach. It's a staged phone call to McGee? Is that the owner of the car care line? Then Mike tells his team to time line, then they make it and the owner of the ca dos a 2 minute, "Incredible job, glad they came" dialogue. I don't know Mike, but he strikes me as the king of guy that will dig in to make himself and those around him successful. I hope they get an opportunity to change it up a bit. Great subject matter! G'luck!

cleanmycorolla
05-28-2016, 09:56 PM
IMO you're spot on, I watched the first two episodes and was done. IMO half an hour is way to short, show needs an hour to show proper breakdown of what exactly is being worked with and done. Also, everyone just seems very "stiff". It just seems to me everyone on the show knows the camera is on them, and its making them almost lock up. And the whole "bit" at the beginning with someone calling Max is silly. But being only half an hour is killing any momentum. I DVR the show but after the first two haven't went back. Too bad too, I love supporting AG, and will continue too, but not so much that show.

Red Lehr
05-29-2016, 01:10 AM
I'm with the rest of you, I watched 2 episodes and was disappointed.It reminded me of a bunch of super heroes...Commissioner Gordon gets the phone call, they go to the Bat Cave to discuss the plan, and then the Justice League including Wonder Woman saves the day ,in ONE day !! WOW...a little hokey don't ya think ?
Mike and his crew need to be showcased better than this,just going through the motions isn't going to cut it.Mike is tops at what he does and if it wasn't for the in depth videos he has done, I wouldn't have a clue about detailing.
Why not use some of the old video ideas,but showcase all of the new products that have came out recently,ie. polishers,pads,etc. If you want people to buy the products you have to show them what you have ,then teach them how to use it. JMHO

vobro
05-29-2016, 07:43 AM
I agree, the whole beginning isn't needed. Instead of the anticipated phone call, the walk out to the garage where the AG guys are fake wiping something, they could have AJ voice over where and why as the "crew" is setting up. The whole deadline aspect really isn't needed, it just causes unforced drama. IMHO Mike should be able to carry the show, his presentation,voice and personality have been proven to teach and sell product. With the show being only 30 minutes a more simplified approach is needed

precisionmobile85
05-29-2016, 08:00 AM
I personally would like to see paint on a car that is in serious need of correction and comes out beautiful. I understand they arnt going to show a honda accord or a ford explorer, but im sure there are really nice classic or exotic cars out there that need serious work done to them. It would be cool if it related more to the everyday detailer...still a cool concept for a detailing show

natewood70
05-29-2016, 08:55 AM
I think if it comes back for another season it might be worth utilizing some of the detailing boot camps that Mike puts on as a platform. I know the title is "Competition Ready", but we compete with the elements everyday with our daily drivers, right?

The success of other shows on Velocity have been based on the premise of catering to the average Joe and their knowledge. Look at Wheeler Dealers for example... a simple concept of flipping older cars, but having both hosts take what is thought of as complicated procedures and breaking it down step by step really intrigues the audience in my mind.

The exposure for AG and it's brands are great, but I think right now the show is not grabbing ahold of other potential customers because of the presentation style. I could be wrong, because for all I know sales might have sky rocketed for AG as a direct relation to the show, but I think the majority of people they can captivate is being missed.

Showing someone that they can achieve great results on a daily driver is more realistic and will grab a wider audience than just focusing on show quality cars. That's my .02 cents. I really just like watching the show to see some of the names on the forums pop up (Joe in this episode). That's super cool to me!

kevincwelch
05-29-2016, 08:55 AM
I don't think the show is -- generally speaking -- for people like those on this forum.

This is a media venture that is consistent with the aims of the Velocity network. Bob Scanlon was the SVP at the time, and it was clear from the get go that the target audience of the channel was college-educated and upper middle class car and sports enthusiasts. He's now the GM, and the philosophy hasn't changed since they've experimented with short timed series because -- in his opinion -- the target demographic is "strapped for time." A secondary aim of the channel is to bring in products and market luxury items.

I suspect that's why Competition Ready falls directly in line with the channel philosophy. Look at the commercials during CR. Yes, there's product placement for Flex and Sonax (I think it's cool). The tables are lined with expensive detailing products with the labels clearly showing. They've got a pretty face to attract the male demographic. The cars on CR aren't DD, and they are all in very good shape. There's nothing less interesting to a HENRY (high earner not rich yet) than watching some people turn around a 2009 Mazda 6 with a bunch of swirls and an explanation of pads and products.

Taken for what it is, it probably does well with someone who wants to see a shiny sports car or a tricked out 1940s Ford. As I said, I don't think it's for us.

I guess another way of looking at it is to determine whether this is a means by which Autogeek can reel in new enthusiasts.

natewood70
05-29-2016, 09:09 AM
I don't think the show is -- generally speaking -- for people like those on this forum.

This is a media venture that is consistent with the aims of the Velocity network. Bob Scanlon was the SVP at the time, and it was clear from the get go that the target audience of the channel was college-educated and upper middle class car and sports enthusiasts. He's now the GM, and the philosophy hasn't changed since they've experimented with short timed series because -- in his opinion -- the target demographic is "strapped for time." A secondary aim of the channel is to bring in products and market luxury items.

I suspect that's why Competition Ready falls directly in line with the channel philosophy. Look at the commercials during CR. Yes, there's product placement for Flex and Sonax (I think it's cool). The tables are lined with expensive detailing products with the labels clearly showing. They've got a pretty face to attract the male demographic. The cars on CR aren't DD, and they are all in very good shape. There's nothing less interesting to a HENRY (high earner not rich yet) than watching some people turn around a 2009 Mazda 6 with a bunch of swirls and an explanation of pads and products.

Taken for what it is, it probably does well with someone who wants to see a shiny sports car or a tricked out 1940s Ford. As I said, I don't think it's for us.

I guess another way of looking at it is to determine whether this is a means by which Autogeek can reel in new enthusiasts.

I'd be interested in seeing what the views to sales correlation looks like during the viewing window if that information is being captured (I would assume it is).

Looking at this from a pure marketing/sales perspective I would think you could draw a larger crowd to buy more product (even some with higher margin) if you were to cater to someone who wants to keep their personal vehicles in top shape. I mean... depending on the episode you could even build out bundles to make it simple to buy what was seen and not get sticker shock from specific products. I could be totally off base here (maybe that's why I work as a network engineer and not in marketing/sales) but it just seems if they had the ability to sell products used in the two bucket method and eventually convert to a PC/GG6 user you could have a potential to a larger profit than hoping someone will shell out the money for a FLEX polisher.

idriveblackcars
05-29-2016, 09:20 AM
lol what do you guys expect. If anything is on TV it's staged.

cleanmycorolla
05-29-2016, 09:29 AM
lol what do you guys expect. If anything is on TV it's staged.

i don't think anyone is denying or saying it wasn't????

idriveblackcars
05-29-2016, 09:36 AM
i don't think anyone is denying or saying it wasn't????

Didn't sound that way from the posts above. Just saying. I was speaking mainly from expectation standpoint.

GSKR
05-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Probably huge money involved to air a show on tv.

RTexasF
05-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Probably huge money involved to air a show on tv.

No question about it. Regardless of cost it either appeals or does not. Based on only one show, which is not conclusive, it was not what I expected.
I will watch other shows so as to get a better grip on it. I am NOT dumping on the show merely stating that I was disappointed. All on the show have my ultimate respect for their many talents, I'm just not too thrilled with the way Velocity presents it.