PDA

View Full Version : First viewing of Competition Ready

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Setec Astronomy
06-05-2016, 09:48 PM
For what it's worth, the most recent show with the Amelia Island prep of the '33 Rolls DID seem to have a lot more "how-to" or at least explanations of the process.

kevincwelch
06-06-2016, 08:15 AM
For what it's worth, the most recent show with the Amelia Island prep of the '33 Rolls DID seem to have a lot more "how-to" or at least explanations of the process.
Agreed. Noticed that as well. Perhaps the show is finding it's way based on continual feedback and ratings.

Sent via my mobile device...

Red Lehr
06-12-2016, 10:13 PM
If you re-read what I wrote, it was from your point of view. That's why I made the post. I too was thinking there would be more how-to info but what I shared above kind of says what I discovered AFTER watching the first rough-cut. And then after watching the show and then after watching all the rough-cuts and shows. Then I saw the show through the producer's point of view... not a "detailers" point of view.

Take a re-read of what I wrote... I actually wasn't trying to explain anything to you specifically, just using your comments to interject and provide some insight to this thread.

Hope that makes sense.... :cheers:

I was also trying to share with people a way to share feedback so that it's not just negative info. It's okay to say what you don't like but try to balance it with something you did like. Not for me but for all the people that will be reading this.

:)

Mike, You are 100% correct about the positive and negative feedback and I would like to apologize for the feedback I left. My comment was not concerning you or your comrades, it was more the way it was all more scripted than any show or video I've seen you in before.I understand it's all a learning process for the producers and AG and I'm sure you guys have all worked your tails off to make this show a go.
My comment was a moot attempt at sarcasm that was undo in retrospect. I guess some of us were expecting a show similar to what we were used seeing to in the videos,but I understand the entertainment aspect of having to give people a story to follow.
I normally do not post feedback like this Mike, I am the easiest going fellow you will ever meet, but I made a mistake....

I wish nothing but the best for you,AG and Velocity in the coming months, keep up the great work !

JeffM
06-13-2016, 07:22 AM
Hey Mike and TV dudes and Ladies :) I think it would be a nice touch and sufficient to have a "detailers tip of the day" and just show how to overcome a single obstacle without drowning the whole show in a step by step process. Your right, its boring lol!

But then there is the risk of lets say wet sanding a scratch, you know what will happen with that, so I suspect it will still be a very general tip and most of us will want something more intricate.

Mike Phillips
06-14-2016, 08:01 AM
Just to chime in...

I read every comment in this forum group. Bob McKee also reads ever comment in this forum group. Your feedback is appreaciated especially when it's balanced with both constructive and negative instead of just negative. (I think I have an article on this topic somewhere)

So thank you to everyone that has posted their feedback and keep it coming.

Mike Phillips
06-14-2016, 08:46 AM
Hey Mike and TV dudes and Ladies :) I think it would be a nice touch and sufficient to have a "detailers tip of the day" and just show how to overcome a single obstacle without drowning the whole show in a step by step process.

Your right, its boring lol!

And we agree with you and the topic of a "Dedicated tip segment" has been discussed.

But then there is the risk of lets say wet sanding a scratch, you know what will happen with that, so I suspect it will still be a very general tip and most of us will want something more intricate.

I know a lot about wet sanding. Besides teaching both how to hand sand and machine sand more important - what I know is 99.9% of the population is NEVER going to wet sand. Never.

I also know wet sanding in the detailing world is much to do about bragging rights. Sure it's a GREAT SKILL to possess and when needed nothing can replace it. That said, from experience most people are never going to wet sand an entire car like I show here,

How to wet sand a car in 8 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zDuFzvKSAI

The above is a time-lapse video of course but that was the real deal. Including,

Wiping the car down with Preps-All.
Taping off all the raised body lines and edges.
Machine sanding with #3000 in both 6" and 3" discs
Machine sanding with #5000 in both 6" and 3" discs
Compounding with Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound with a wool pad on a rotary buffer
Remove holograms left by the wool pad using M205 with a foam pad on a rotary buffer
Show car polishing using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with a Porter Cable and a foam finishing pad.
Machine waxing with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and the Porter Cable 7424XP.

It took me 12 hours without any breaks to go from start to finish and I worked hard and fast.

Again - 99.9% of the population will never wet sand a complete car. The few that do wet sand will do a small section involved with some type of rock chip repair or other repair and chances are good they'll screw it up.

Besides all of the above I also know there's a fascination with the "idea" of wet sanding and that a lot of guys want to know how to do it even though in the real world they'll never wet sand an entire car.

In my detailing classes I teach both hand sanding and machine sanding and I tell the students that after they learn how to do it correctly they'll never want to do it for money in the real world and I'd say the majority of them, after sanding and buffing, agree. But now that they've learned what it takes they can hold an intelligent conversation on the topic and that is just as important as actually doing the work.

Eldorado2k
06-14-2016, 08:51 AM
I just wish I had that channel so I could watch the show... I think I'd like it because I love anything that involves detailing.:)

precisionmobile85
06-14-2016, 09:01 AM
I just wish I had that channel so I could watch the show... I think I'd like it because I love anything that involves detailing.:)

Yea your missing out....not to mention all the other shows. If your a car guy the velocity is where its at!

Red Lehr
06-14-2016, 08:00 PM
And we agree with you and the topic of a "Dedicated tip segment" has been discussed.

I know a lot about wet sanding. Besides teaching both how to hand sand and machine sand more important - what I know is 99.9% of the population is NEVER going to wet sand. Never.

I also know wet sanding in the detailing world is much to do about bragging rights. Sure it's a GREAT SKILL to possess and when needed nothing can replace it. That said, from experience most people are never going to wet sand an entire car like I show here,

How to wet sand a car in 8 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zDuFzvKSAI

The above is a time-lapse video of course but that was the real deal. Including,

Wiping the car down with Preps-All.
Taping off all the raised body lines and edges.
Machine sanding with #3000 in both 6" and 3" discs
Machine sanding with #5000 in both 6" and 3" discs
Compounding with Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound with a wool pad on a rotary buffer
Remove holograms left by the wool pad using M205 with a foam pad on a rotary buffer
Show car polishing using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with a Porter Cable and a foam finishing pad.
Machine waxing with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and the Porter Cable 7424XP.

It took me 12 hours without any breaks to go from start to finish and I worked hard and fast.

Again - 99.9% of the population will never wet sand a complete car. The few that do wet sand will do a small section involved with some type of rock chip repair or other repair and chances are good they'll screw it up.

Besides all of the above I also know there's a fascination with the "idea" of wet sanding and that a lot of guys want to know how to do it even though in the real world they'll never wet sand an entire car.

In my detailing classes I teach both hand sanding and machine sanding and I tell the students that after they learn how to do it correctly they'll never want to do it for money in the real world and I'd say the majority of them, after sanding and buffing, agree. But now that they've learned what it takes they can hold an intelligent conversation on the topic and that is just as important as actually doing the work.

Wet sanding is how I got started detailing and buying supplies at AG. My 64 Galaxie had just been repainted and it was a terrible paint job,lot of orange peel,etc.

I watched with Mike in the 1969 AMX Wetsanding Videos and followed it step by step and wetsanded my whole car.

Nebraska Help in the Heartland Project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/58319-1969-amx-wetsanding-videos-nebraska-help-heartland-project.html)

It was a job that's for sure, but it was very rewarding, it taught me to use the Flex 3401 and PC 7424 XP polisher.

I was hooked on detailing after that and I haven't looked at paint the same way since.

Mike,this forum and it's members were a great help also.....

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
06-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Wet sanding is how I got started detailing and buying supplies at AG. My 64 Galaxie had just been repainted and it was a terrible paint job,lot of orange peel,etc.

I watched with Mike in the 1969 AMX Wetsanding Videos and followed it step by step and wetsanded my whole car.

Nebraska Help in the Heartland Project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/58319-1969-amx-wetsanding-videos-nebraska-help-heartland-project.html)

It was a job that's for sure, but it was very rewarding, it taught me to use the Flex 3401 and PC 7424 XP polisher.

I was hooked on detailing after that and I haven't looked at paint the same way since.

Mike,this forum and it's members were a great help also.....

:dblthumb2:

Wow!

Thanks for sharing your story.

I have to wonder how many people watched that video where we completely sanded down the black 1969 AMX and then buffed it out to perfection and then used what they learned from the video to tackle their own project but here's the key...

Never shared their story

Thank you for sharing your story - it makes all that hard work we did on the AMX worth it.

RTexasF
06-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Since I started this thread I'd like to add to it. I have watched all the shows available since seeing the first one. I can see the progress being made and the positive way things are evolving. As a matter of fact I enjoyed the most recent shows quite a bit and look forward to the next one.

Mike....... thank you for commenting on how things actually worked for the initial show. That had to be quite difficult not knowing the outcome or even the theme of the show while you're working hard on the car and under the gun.

Please change the title of this thread to Competition Ready. I put a great deal of thought into my initial post so as not to offend anyone yet still express my opinion. Obviously I went brain dead when I titled it.

GlazeMan81
06-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Great Conversation on the show. It's wonderful how social media works. I think kevinwelch was the first to offer counter thought that the show is not for people that already detail and are already invested from professional to the hobbyist like me. When I originally read about the show, I certainly thought I would love the show. I, for one, have no interest or time to watch a full detail. I admit, I am slow. A full detail for a car in my house is a two day process if I do not have help.

Some points were made that it needs to be for the masses, and needs to make money. I did feel it was a scolding for how people entered their thoughts.

I don't think any one of us on this forum have any ideas that the show wouldn't be created unless it made financial sense. I'll speak for myself, but, I would be surprised if anyone on this forum had a thought that the show is created to spread the love of our OCD pastime.

I am sure there are target sales goals forecasting revenue from the show for new names and increased sales for product placement in the show and income for commercial time. Everyone involved from the network to sponsors and auto geek.

I will be real clear, this is a good thing.

This is what makes success which pays salary's, funds retirement accounts, and those owners and people buy other products. Which in turn do the same thing for those company's and employees that work there paying salary's, on and on keeping our economy going.

I salute products that are American made, invented, created... I'll start singing soon. No one wants that.

When I first read about the show, I did have thoughts that it would be like the other velocity shows. They do have the people, continuing stories, the subject and of course entertainment. I do DVR a lot of the velocity shows and watch when I can. I also work full time in a non-automotive related job. I am not a Producer either, but I do know what I like to watch. It's all around cars and racing for me. It is also about being real. For me, that is important. I don't know if I am that different from the masses. Whoever they are. I like to think I am one of them.

Think about this:

Americana, Ray is a known hero to many. He is the moderator that gets us into his bosses office and takes us with him to hunt for amazing historical cars. Ray has passion that is real. It's honest. Each episode is amazing on how the story is put together and the historical lesson.

Wayne's show, party on, excellent! Sorry, wrong Wayne. Mr. Carini, this is an incredible mix of barn finds, Rodgers funny comments in the shop, watching Wayne at auctions and understanding from him what his strategy is. One thing I appreciate, his deals are private for what he pays individuals. That is just class. Again, I believe what I am watching.

American Hot Rod, not sure if that is velocity. I think the reruns play on there anyway, the glue for that show for me, are the cars, but the story is really the characters and how they work together and get along. Kind of like Bitchin Rides. How those guys interact. The stories between the cars. Again, both shows seem real. I believe what I hear and see. It is amazing to see what they create in the end, and be human doing it.

Thoughts on the new detailing show, it does not feel real, I would like to see honest and real situations. Because it doesn't feel real, are the products real, can I trust they do what is being said, or not being said? I'm not sure. My comments were around the fact that I don't believe the premise. Seems forced, made up, hokey.
(Is that even a word, hokey?!?!)

I don't think anyone thought a 4 hour video watching paint dry would be interesting. I'd be shocked if they did. I didn't. I wasn't sure what a detailing show would be. Being a fan of auto geek and a fan of Mike's after discovering him through Autogeek, I was interested and looking forward to the show.

The shows I mentioned previously, will not prepare you to build a car or how to make a living buying and selling cars. They do not always tell you the brand of brakes or radiator that is being used either. I personally was not expecting this show to be different, and go through each product in detail and explain why it was used instead of something else. Something tells me McKee product will normally be the solution. That's not bad, sponsorship, check. But if that's true, what's to watch? I did see some other products.

I am an engaged viewer when, to me, it feels honest. If the show seems to flow naturally. You know what it's going to be about, but not what people's moods are, personal and professional things going on that effect what the show is about. Surprises are part of the story and build the stress, naturally around time.

Go ahead all, rip them apart with what's not real.. Lol.

A format was picked for the show that not all of us bought into. For me, it does not feel real. It is definitely above my pay grade to understand how that effects viewership and forecasted sales. It is also above my pay grade to understand if the masses want shows that are real. Maybe they are just as okay with obvious staged circumstances and staged product then a real natural flow and conversation. I do not think anyone is fooled. Are they?

It doesn't feel like a real circumstance using the bat cave and bat phone for the deal to be made on the car to detail. I love that call out, it is a great image of how I saw it as well. It does not feel like real pressure for the builds. Nothing about it feels real. Even the crew. They are typically nameless beings used to get a pep talk, then we see them in the background. At the end, they stand in a semi circle and clap for making it. Is love to see someone callout, "Mike, where's the berer?". Do I believe that Mike makes his co-host Polish cars? I take that back, that could be true. I'm sure she would be game.

What would be nice:

It would be interesting to know something about the people detailing, what their thoughts and concerns are. What are their thoughts as it progresses? Their thoughts are about what's going on... Is it always the same 'A' team, how do they get there? As one person mentioned, when the camera is on them, they seem stiff. They do not seem like guys working together, loose and having fun detailing. Nothing. Are they instructed to give the thousand yard stare into the chrome and paint?

Really?

Does Bob really fly in at the end of every show saying, "looks like I got here just in time!".

In summary

My criticism might be off. I only wish to make a point that I picked up on that others were echoing. I think anyway. We are not looking for full length documentary films on detailing technique. That's off base.

I would like to see entertainment that is believable. Even if it was not about detailing, I wouldn't buy into this format. It feels to contrived. It feels like a blatant sales pitch. Softening it would be nice.

Mike, I do not know you, but you seem like an upstanding and incredible guy. Social Media is public. While your comments may have been well deserved, I am not sure appropriate. I have never seen a "personality" chastise his core financial base. That is brave. While the show may be about new names, from the masses, the old names are still very important. They have been paying the bills and keeping the lights on with growth and loyalty. In a large part, due to you.

Are you mad at us? I am sorry if I was part of striking a nerve. I wrote this a week ago and sat on it. No need to tell me to re-read your note for its message. I got your points. I do hope you are successful and that detailing keeps a show that gets better and better. It is a great hobby. I work with a lot of people with nice cars. 99% have no inclination to detail themselves. It is a special group. That make time for it.

Take Care and being real, I wish you good luck and your much deserved success for what you have personally done for the hobby. Hats off bro

rlmccarty2000
06-15-2016, 10:46 PM
The final show was the best of the bunch and a good way to end the season.

I'm sure many lessons were learned by all in the making of the show and what works and does not work. I fully expect changes to the next seasons show.

I was hoping for a "Fast and Loud" type show where both personalities and workmanship was shown. I remember the first season of "Fast and Loud" it needed a lot of work too.

A.J. needs to go. There has to be one or two main characters that viewers can relate to.

Richard Rawlings is a character and is entertaining. The mechanical work is done by secondary characters, even AAron is a secondary character. A time limit or a competition is not necessary, they have continuing episodes (this works so viewers will tune in to the next episode).

Entertainment is more the function than education. If you want education, tune into PBS or learn here or on YouTube. You can have both, but with 20 minutes it's hard to both entertain and educate, so choose one and be good at it.

All Girls Garage is primarily education with pretty girls for entertainment, so it can be done. Like a Mexican weather woman, but who watches her and thinks about the weather?

Good luck with season 2!

And congratulations for getting a show about detailing on TV!

Hurrah!

Eldorado2k
06-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Like a Mexican weather woman, but who watches her and thinks about the weather?

The 1st thing that came to mind was "weather balloons"
See, she's legit + appealing.

Sonic Mustang
06-16-2016, 03:10 AM
I've only watched one episode of Competition Ready - the one at the Petersen. Based on that experience, I haven't watched another. Please understand, I watch anything with cars, airplanes or mechanical things in it. At least I thought I did until I saw that episode of Competition Ready. Thanks for breaking my addiction to automotive programming.

The problems with the show include:

THE SETUP

After a multi-million dollar remodel, the guys running the Petersen Automotive Museum just plain forgot to detail the multi-million dollar centerpieces of their collection for the BIG GALA GRAND REOPENING. And, they've evidently laid off or fired their own in-house detailers! With only hours to the gala, who ya gonna call? Bob McKee in Stuart Florida! Who? Where? Why? At this point, the show is already more campy than Neil Hamilton, Adam West and the Bat Signal.

You see, dear viewer, Bruce Meyer and Peter Mullin don't know a single local qualified detailer. Wait. Doesn't Bruce have a extensive collection of expensive and desirable cars in Beverly Hills? Doesn't Peter have his own freaking museum in Ventura, California with one of the finest collections of classic French automobiles on the planet? No other Petersen directors could come up with anybody? Isn't Meguiar's headquartered in Irvine, California?

No, with hours to go they reach out to Bob McKee (who?) in Stuart Florida who will assemble a team of experts and get everybody out to Los Angeles.

THE JOB

Instead of focusing on ONE car in 22 minutes, let's work on several so there's absolutely no chance of seeing any detail of the detailing going on.

THE CAST

Oh look, it's AJ. Well, this means I'm watching a Bud Brutsman production because I've never seen her in anything that wasn't produced by her husband. But this show is far to amateurish and the production values are lower than anything Bud's done. AJ doesn't do a damn thing on Competition Ready. At least on Overhaulin' she was part of the gags and actually did a little of the work getting dirty taking the cars apart. On Competition Ready, she's only there to attract and keep male viewers awake to the end of the show. (Note that on the CR show's website, Mike and AJ weren't even photographed together for the splash screen. They were Photoshopped.) If this isn't a Brutsman production, does this mean AJ's divorced????

I recognized a few of the local LA area detailers. I still can't believe nobody at the museum knows Joe Fernandez and didn't call him before dialing Bob McKee (who?).

THE FINALE

They finish just in time for Mike and AJ to change into formal wear and attend the gala. The Petersen's gala is a success because of Bob McKee (who?)!

THE LESSONS

Velocity Channel is starved for programming.

Car guys will watch anything. Well, besides Competition Ready.

PBMA has its own television production company.

Besides the crappy writing, setup and production values, the main problem of Competition Ready is the lack of flaws. Every successful car show is somehow flawed. Wayne Carini has horrible taste in cars. He's drawn to the ugliest and bizarre cars with no following and or known collector base. He expects to get astronomical prices at auction and when they fail miserably he's crestfallen and then immediately adds the buyer's premium to the hammer price to get closer to what he expected. Even though he doesn't get the buyer's premium.

American Hot Rod had two of the most despicable people on earth in starring roles: Boyd Coddington and Duane Mayer. We tuned in to see which employee would be arrested for murder first.

American Chopper starred a family so screwed up it made everybody feel good about their family in comparison. Even if their family's name is Manson.

Even Overhaulin', the show that should have been the blueprint for Competition Ready on how to present technical stuff to the masses, routinely went off the rails by overhauling cars for people who didn't deserve it. Like Lance Armstrong or the soon to be ex-Mrs. Johnny Depp instead regular people. Speaking of regular people, they sure missed the mark with a couple of non-car marks who didn't know a damn thing about cars and didn't appreciate the work done to their cars. And, let's not forget the times Chip Foose just plain struck out with modifications on cars like the Lotus Europa and the Porsche 356.

Competition Ready seems too perfect, like Barry Meguiar's detailer corps. Dressed head to toe in perfectly pressed and perfectly clean black despite slinging compound on a rotary for a job. CR is too neat, too packaged and lacking in detail. The producers need to ask AJ for copies of every Overhaulin' episode and watch them 10 times before attempting to film another episode of their own show. Alternately, they could just hire Bud to do it right.

I don't know if I followed the condescending rules on constructive criticism referred to earlier, but the producers of the show need to know that most criticism comes in the form of pressing the channel button on a remote.

IN CLOSING

Competition Ready doesn't feel right because it's obviously a self promotion for PBMA. I find it hard to believe Velocity would have signed on if Bob McKee (who?) didn't show up with his own built-in sponsorship. It's like watching an F1 race and wondering how the heck that crappy driver got an F1 ride. Oh, daddy owns a muti-national bank and junior showed up with $25 million in sponsorship cash. The producers need to make the self-promotion less obvious.

At the very least, Mike Phillips needs to get the calls for help instead of Bob McKee (who?).