PDA

View Full Version : What type of applicator pad

mikes55
05-27-2016, 05:59 PM
And polish should I use with a 6" random orbital buffer?
Thanks
Mike

TTQ B4U
05-27-2016, 06:42 PM
And polish should I use with a 6" random orbital buffer?
Thanks
Mike

Nee more information Mike. Pics would really help too.

What vehicle, describe the condition of the paint, etc.

mikes55
06-11-2016, 10:22 AM
55' chevy good paint black

shagnat
06-14-2016, 03:04 AM
First of all you'd want to go to a 5" pad and backing plate. (5" pads are a little large than 5" with work with 5" backing plates NOT 6" backing plates).

Having said that, need close up pix of the paint and tell us to which level you are trying to achieve.

Beyond that, not much advice available for now.

mikes55
07-02-2016, 10:01 AM
1st. I have no clue what this means (5" pads are a little large than 5" with work with 5" backing plates NOT 6" backing plates).
2nd. It's not that big of a deal just looking for basic info. We can move on.
Thanks
Mike

scuff
07-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Mike, if that's the original paint, you might find these articles useful.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/100613-7-rub-down-technique-mike-phillips.html

There's a bewildering array of products available, and they can give excellent results. They can also lead to disappointment if used improperly.
People were asking for more details so they could give better recommendations, which I think you'll find many are happy to give.

TTQ B4U
07-02-2016, 12:50 PM
1st. I have no clue what this means (5" pads are a little large than 5" with work with 5" backing plates NOT 6" backing plates).
2nd. It's not that big of a deal just looking for basic info. We can move on.

what they are referencing is the size of the pad. Most consumer DA's rotate better with smaller pads. That said I used 6" pads with my Porter Cable 7424xp without issue.

is the paint original? single stage or has it been resprayed with a clear coat on top of the base coat?

good paint is pretty broad. Any insight on what some of the main issues you're looking to fix are that can be shared?

Sorry for the questions but these are some basic points that will help. Otherwise whatever is suggested is a random guess and will likely miss the mark resulting in nothing more than wasted time for you. Close up pics help too so we can see the swirls, skuffs, scratches and overspray possibily that are in need of fixing.