PDA

View Full Version : Applying 2nd coat of wax much later

AutoApollo
05-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Hi guys, I did a paint correction roughly 5 months ago on my buddies car. Wax is still present. As far as a second coat of wax goes, can I just wash the car down, dry it then put the wax on? Imo the paint doesn't need to be clay barred. Still smooth. However, is it necessary for that previous cost of wax to be removed and a quick polish?

Setec Astronomy
05-26-2016, 09:58 AM
I'm sure you're going to get a ton of replies telling you that you HAVE to do some sort of prep. As far as I'm concerned, if you think the paint is clean, there's still old wax there, etc., just give it a good wash and apply your LSP. Will it be as good as using a paint cleaner or light polish beforehand? No. Will it be fine? Yes, IMO.

derass
05-26-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm still relatively new to this, but if it were me, after 5 months I'd clay the car before waxing. If it's clean, the claying process will be quick and easy, and will be a worthwhile step in getting good adhesion of the new coat of wax.

AutoApollo
05-26-2016, 10:35 AM
I'm sure you're going to get a ton of replies telling you that you HAVE to do some sort of prep. As far as I'm concerned, if you think the paint is clean, there's still old wax there, etc., just give it a good wash and apply your LSP. Will it be as good as using a paint cleaner or light polish beforehand? No. Will it be fine? Yes, IMO.

Yeah you're prob right. I'ts not a Ferrari or anything lol. Thanks!

FUNX650
05-26-2016, 10:40 AM
I'm still relatively new to this, but if it were me,
after 5 months I'd clay the car before waxing.

If it's clean, the claying process will be quick
and easy, and will be a worthwhile step in
getting good adhesion of the new coat of wax.

•There are these two things I think
about whenever claying is discussed:
1.) I perform "The Baggie Test"
before I clay.
2.) I always, (at the very least),
use a light polish after I do clay;
and, before applying an LSP.

Bob

hogie
05-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Just wax it. Worst case scenario, you wax again before winter hits. The wax won't magically fall off.

natewood70
05-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Hi guys, I did a paint correction roughly 5 months ago on my buddies car. Wax is still present. As far as a second coat of wax goes, can I just wash the car down, dry it then put the wax on? Imo the paint doesn't need to be clay barred. Still smooth. However, is it necessary for that previous cost of wax to be removed and a quick polish?

Is it necessary to remove the wax and do a quick polish before putting another layer of wax on? No. I've put wax on with that much spacing in between without clay and polish before BUT... If the paint is dirty (actually needing clay after a baggie test) you will see a noticeable drop in the longevity of the wax, and it might not give you the "pop" you're looking for out of the paint.

I've done this when I've been crunched for time just to get some protection on my cars, but I would eventually have a day later on where I would strip everything, clay, polish if necessary, and re apply LSP.

TTQ B4U
05-26-2016, 11:32 AM
•There are these two things I think
about whenever claying is discussed:
1.) I perform "The Baggie Test"
before I clay.
2.) I always, (at the very least),
use a light polish after I do clay;
and, before applying an LSP.

^^ this. I would likely hit it with a white pad and some cleaner polish or glaze then another coat of LSP. Something like Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)is ideal. Yes, you "could" just go right to another LSP coat but I like the idea of insuring whatever you do produced the best look not just add in another layer of fresh protection.

In my case I tend to reapply things like this monthly as my car is a true daily driver that isn't a garage queen so I hit it with Chem Guys Blacklight (http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-black-light-hybrid-radiant-finish.html) and then top that with a sealant.

AutowerxDetailing
05-26-2016, 01:52 PM
This is where a cleaner wax or all-in-one (AIO) product would come in handy. No need to clay unless the car really needs it. The abrasives and chemical cleaners in most AIOs will remove the remaining "old" wax, lightly clean and polish the surface, and provide a fresh surface for the new protection to bond with.

parshooter
05-26-2016, 02:01 PM
This is where a cleaner wax or all-in-one (AIO) product would come in handy. No need to clay unless the car really needs it. The abrasives and chemical cleaners in most AIOs will remove the remaining "old" wax, lightly clean and polish the surface, and provide a fresh surface for the new protection to bond with.

I've used Meguirs and Mother's Synthetic cleaner waxes with great results. I'm just working on mine and my wife's cars so no need to remove everything whenever I want to throw down a new coat of wax.

shagnat
06-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Of course the call is yours, but, I have to think 5 months since last "wax" job....hmmm...... I'd definitely clay and use an AIO (depending on inspection) then if you want a little more "pop" in the paint, then add a good wax on top of the AIO...... just my 2 cents.