PDA

View Full Version : 1st go at my Pro4X

Slabrat
05-25-2016, 10:14 AM
My truck has about 20,000 now in a year. I want protection but probably not showroom all the time It's my daily driver so here's what I think
I have used some stuff from wallymart before. "Ice" detailer and spray wax to be specific. and it was ok but now I want to get the bugs off and the rough paint smoothed out. After reading several forum entries and how to's on here.

Here is what I have decided to try :

I already have some car wash liquid, I forget the brand got it a a parts store
Griots Clay Mitt with speed shine lube
Then Griots sealer
then Spray wax of some sort to make it shine .

Does this sound reasonable? will this remove bugs ? I want maximum protection which is most important and also want it to look good ,Of course. I'll do all of this by hand . I have an old cheap polishing machine but not sure if I should use it. Thats why i didn't pick paste wax.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Pro 4X pic below

Thanks
Tom "Slabrat"

PA DETAILER
05-25-2016, 11:53 AM

:props: Nice to see another PRO4X on the forum. Pics of mine above.

Slabrat
05-25-2016, 01:06 PM

:props: Nice to see another PRO4X on the forum. Pics of mine above.

We have the same truck! Is yours Manual or automatic tranny? Mine is auto. Wanted a manual but only on I found was baby blue and not a Pro.
Good looking ride you got there !

PA DETAILER
05-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Thank"s. I went auto. It is my DD also. 250+ miles/week. Currently wearing....

BLACKFIRE TP&S
BLACKFIRE CRYSTAL SEAL
GRIOTS TRIM RESTORER
BLACKFIRE AIO TIRE & TRIM (ON TIRES)
MC'KEES WHEEL COATING
MC'KEES GLASS COATING
SONUS MOTOR KOTE (ON ENGINE)

briarpatch
05-26-2016, 07:54 AM
What did you use for the wheels and tires?

PA DETAILER
05-26-2016, 07:58 AM
Blackfire aio tire & trim (on tires)
mc'kees wheel coating

oneheadlite
05-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Nice looking trucks! I've been reading a lot on the forums here for the last few months, and have been a long time Griot's user. Thought I'd chime in since it looks like you were leaning towards starting with Griot's products. If you were ok doing a 2 step process after the paint cleaning mitt, I'd recommend doing their Complete Compound followed by their Liquid Gloss Poly Wax. I've used both and have had really good luck with them. I think you'll really like the shine/finish of the poly wax!
If you were looking to do a single step, I've also used their One Step Sealant which has a light polish included to help refine the paint a bit. I've used it on my wife's car that makes trips through automatic car washes. If you wanted to put an easy coat on top of that, I'm a big fan of their Premium Carnauba Paste Wax (I know, paste wax, but it's really easy to work with, and beads water like crazy!).

Hopefully that wasn't too fanboy and was at least some help.

briarpatch
05-26-2016, 08:56 AM
X2 for Griots products......big fan of their Heavy Duty wheel cleaner...(with the exception of the smell)....

Slabrat
05-28-2016, 02:22 PM
I ended up going with everything in my list except I got the Hpoxy sealant and wax. Mostly because its a truck that gets driven a bunch. AND I'm lazy. so one coat I hope will do what I want. I may try other stuff after this.
I will never have a black daily driver anymore LOL it is always in need of a wash. :props:

PA DETAILER
06-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Just did mine yesterday with DP POLI COAT SEALANT.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/101921-afternoon-dp-poli-coat-sealant.html

Slabrat
06-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Here are the fruits of my laborious weekend.

The pic in the woods below is the first day I had it

Next, the Mercedes gets it

PA DETAILER
06-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Looks good. Mine went in for new front pads/rotors this week. Cant complain. 45,000 out of factory brakes. Backs are good yet. Adjusted the rear backing plates and adjusted the leaf spring shims. Nissan gave it a complete check. All else is good. Also did a synthetic oil change last week. Back to work yesterday. WOW what a difference. Brakes/drives like new.