PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Detailing - Tips Needed!

98LowRanger
05-24-2016, 10:22 PM
I recently detailed a customers BMW and he was thrilled with my work and wants to bring me at least 2 of his 3 bikes. The problem is that I have NEVER detailed nor owned a motorcycle of any kind before. I was wanting to hear some tips and tricks from those of you that do have experience with detailing bikes. I am not too concerned with the painted tanks/fairings as it should be treated as any other painted panel that is on a car (wash, clay, polish, protect with wax/sealant/coating). I have just heard that the paint can be thin on the foreign bikes. Here are his bikes for reference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/98LowRanger/13043388_10102118615115418_2339534766156674863_n.j pg
2015 Yamaha YZF-R1, Honda RC51

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/98LowRanger/1280867_10101950429361018_5330633011568394220_n.jp g
2014 Victory Cross Country

These are my main concerns/questions:

1) Can you still wash a motorcycle with a pressure washer or is this not a good idea? I use a 1800 psi electric pressure washer for my detailing so I don't feel like this would be too strong for even a bike.

2) I know they make stands to hold both the front and rear wheel while working on a bike, but I can't justify the cost for detailing just 2 bikes. Would it be safe enough to CAREFULLY detail the bike with just the foot stand holding it up? Last thing I want to do is lay a bike down while working on it.

3) I assume since much of the engine is exposed that they are a completely sealed unit? So as long as I don't clean the engine while it is hot, get water down the exhaust, and blow it dry immediately after I am done, it will be fine?

4) I know to avoid cleaning the chain, but any special precautions or products NOT to use on the wheels/brakes? Sonax wheel cleaner plus is my go to for deep wheel cleaning...is this ok to use around motorcycle brakes/wheels?

5) ANY idea on a ball park of what to charge per a bike for a full detail? I don't really have a clue, but was thinking to price it a little low since it will be a learning experience for me. Do you guys feel $100 per a bike is fair for a thorough wash, light one stage polish on painted parts, deep clean and protect seat, and apply sealant to paint?

6) Any other tips you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

kaliagent2001
05-24-2016, 10:42 PM
I've charged what you feel you should. I wouldn't suggest dressing the tires but just cleaning them. I also use the wash polish ag sells forget name though (s100 think). Small pads work great, 3/4 inch.

98LowRanger
05-25-2016, 09:28 PM
Thanks for your reply. I agree about not dressing the tires.

Can anyone else address the answers to my questions?

SANTA3013
05-25-2016, 09:37 PM
I've always detailed my Harleys on side stand without any problems. You don't want to put anything slick on the seat either. You should be ok with 1800 psi electric pressure washer but I wound not use anything with more pressure.

GSKR
05-25-2016, 09:38 PM
It's all in the prep.harley charges 250 for a detail.you can blow so much time on those things,there so intricate I'm thinking 175.00.

idriveblackcars
05-25-2016, 10:02 PM
My buddy comes by and uses my 2800psi gas pressure washer to foam his bike about once a month, no issues so far and the foam literally goes everywhere,covered.

oracle462
05-25-2016, 11:43 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDW6i9VIK4M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oracle462
05-25-2016, 11:50 PM
No need to buy stands

NO TIRE GEL

As for the chain, just pick up a can of Maxima chain wax. Should last you 10-20 lubrications all for about $7. It's recommended the chain should be cleaned and lubricated after riding in the rain, so I'd use the same logic for washes. I usually use a QD for most of my cleaning on the bike. Keeping it regular means I don't have to wash it as often.

I always wait until the bike is cool to touch if the engine is exposed, but they are capable of riding in the rain but the soap may dry in spots if the engine is hot.

Also, stay away from putting "shiny" products on the seat. We wouldn't want the owner sliding around unintentionally when riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EWtheDETAILER
05-25-2016, 11:58 PM
These are my main concerns/questions:

1) Can you still wash a motorcycle with a pressure washer or is this not a good idea? I use a 1800 psi electric pressure washer for my detailing so I don't feel like this would be too strong for even a bike.

You can wash a motorcycle with a pressure washer, but I feel this is over kill. Most motorcycles generate about 1/4th of the dirt cars do.

2) I know they make stands to hold both the front and rear wheel while working on a bike, but I can't justify the cost for detailing just 2 bikes. Would it be safe enough to CAREFULLY detail the bike with just the foot stand holding it up? Last thing I want to do is lay a bike down while working on it.

You can detail it off the foot stand no problem. You just need to be aware of your surroundings. Also anytime your moving the bike, throw your leg over it(like your riding) for optimum control.

3) I assume since much of the engine is exposed that they are a completely sealed unit? So as long as I don't clean the engine while it is hot, get water down the exhaust, and blow it dry immediately after I am done, it will be fine?

Never clean an engine while hot... yes blow it out after. I even recommend starting the bike and let it idle for a few minutes following the wash.

4) I know to avoid cleaning the chain, but any special precautions or products NOT to use on the wheels/brakes? Sonax wheel cleaner plus is my go to for deep wheel cleaning...is this ok to use around motorcycle brakes/wheels?

Use a mild degreaser or APC to cut oils/ grease in areas around the chain, but do not clean the chain or sprocket contact areas. Be careful on the Victory as some metals may be aluminum, avoid acidic cleaners. Sonax is safe.

5) ANY idea on a ball park of what to charge per a bike for a full detail? I don't really have a clue, but was thinking to price it a little low since it will be a learning experience for me. Do you guys feel $100 per a bike is fair for a thorough wash, light one stage polish on painted parts, deep clean and protect seat, and apply sealant to paint?

I feel $100 is fair. You will make some money and your customer will be likely to repeat business. None of the bikes have any heavy metal polishing. That's where the time really gets added quickly.

Good luck!

6) Any other tips you guys can give me would be GREATLY appreciated![/QUOTE]