PDA

View Full Version : You just can't beat the Flex 3401...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

WRAPT C5Z06
05-24-2016, 08:45 PM
I've had a love/hate relationship with it, but for a while now, I've really grown to like it! You cannot deny the FORCED ROTATION!!! Once you get used to it, free spindle DA's become annoying, IMO. Stall, stall, stall! Although, more energy is expended using the 3401, it's well worth it. You can POWER through a detail; the pad never stalls at all!! I've tried VERY hard to like the long throw DA's, but I always find myself going right back to the Flex 3401. For those who may be considering it, do realize it will take some getting used to the TORQUE!! The polisher has a mind of its own. It will try to control you, but you must control it. On the flip side, there a good amount who don't like it, but I'm not one of them!!

Jeremy1976
05-24-2016, 08:47 PM
I really want one. I have a Torq 10fx right now.

2011 Kona Blue
05-24-2016, 09:04 PM
I've had a love/hate relationship with it, but for a while now, I've really grown to like it! You cannot deny the FORCED ROTATION!!! Once you get used to it, free spindle DA's become annoying, IMO. Although, more energy is expended using the 3401, it's well worth it. You can POWER through a detail; the pad never stalls at all!! I've tried VERY hard to like the long throw DA's, but I always find myself going right back to the Flex 3401. For those who may be considering it, do realize it will take some getting used to the TORQUE!! The polisher has a mind of its own. It will try to control you, but you must control it. On the flip side, there a good amount who don't like it, but I'm not one of them!!

I ordered the Flex 3401 and have had it for a week now. Didn't get to use it yet. Lol

spazzz
05-24-2016, 09:04 PM
I like mine even more since I took the handle off.
It hampered my vision of the panels.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-24-2016, 09:06 PM
I ordered the Flex 3401 and have had it for a week now. Didn't get to use it yet. Lol
Yea, I hear you. Takes some getting used to. Some never get used to it. :/

I like mine even more since I took the handle off.
It hampered my vision of the panels.
You can still grip it without the handle? Do you use a side handle?

hoyt66
05-24-2016, 09:13 PM
Love this polisher ! Rocks it out! I agree with op, going back to my pc is just annoying. I demoted it to solely scrubbing tires now .

MIsnowman
05-24-2016, 09:15 PM
I love my Flex 3401 as well. I use/used a rotary a lot, so going with the flex and the forced rotation was a no brainer for me. The opposite rotation direction took a little getting used to, but after a couple jobs I adjusted. My biggest complaint (not a big deal) is the cord comes unplugged really easily. I use mine to polish a lot of large farm equipment and the slightest pull on the cord unplugs it from the extension cord. Now I tie a knot around the plugs to keep it from unplugging and all is good.

expdetailing
05-24-2016, 09:21 PM
Swapping out the OE backing plate with the Lake Country 4" and using Lake Country 5" Hybrid pads makes controlling it many times easier.

spazzz
05-24-2016, 09:32 PM
You can still grip it without the handle?

I don't have a problem. I hold it the same way as the PC without a handle.

Swapping out the OE backing plate with the Lake Country 4" and using Lake Country 5" Hybrid pads makes controlling it many times easier.

Very True.
The 6" microfiber discs with the stock plate take a little getting used to.

WAXOFF
05-24-2016, 09:49 PM
I have 2 the red and the pink. " Once you Flex nothing else has muscle"

Hermes1
05-24-2016, 09:52 PM
I am liking mine quite a bit, definitely an upgrade over a standard RO. Only question is why I did not get one sooner.

kaliagent2001
05-24-2016, 11:06 PM
I love my pink flex (thanks ag) so much it made my decision just to buy a used one in which seems like its in great condition. I also thanks to ag bought the lake county plate like one other member mentioned ( can't wait to use it though the rating was not pleasing). Also like one other fellow member my decision to go with the 3401 flex in the first place was my experience growing up working with rotary machines.

haris300
05-24-2016, 11:51 PM
When I first started using my 3401 I was a little upset because it was difficult to get used to and I always felt fatigued at the end of the job. After a few more corrections the forced rotation became second nature to me and I stopped getting so tired from polishing. Sure it has a learning curve, but once you master it you'll never want to put it down :)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-25-2016, 01:05 AM
I agree Mark. The forced rotation of the 3401 is King. This will allow you to power through a detail without worry about pad stall on the various curved panels we all come across. The 3401 will continue to spin to matter what kind of shaped panel you encounter. You could sit on the 3401 and the plate never stops rotating.

For me, I will NEVER use a free spinning DA for correction work. That's better suited to the PE14/3401. The free spinning DA is only useful in finishing work IMO/IME.

Zubair
05-25-2016, 01:57 AM
I have a buyer on my 3401 as I been using the PE-14 and Rupes 15 mostly, but everytime I decide to use the 3401 it puts a smile on my face and I can't not have one in my arsenal. Its more tiring to use than my other polishers as its louder and vibrates more but on my energetic days its the most fun. Purchasing the Flex 4 3/8 backing plate was a wise decision for me as I now can use 5.5" pads, the LC 4" bp makes the polisher too heavy, wobbly, just doesn't feel natural as the pad vs polisher distance is increased. I am going to hold onto the 3401 especially since the new LC Force pads are coming out which replaces the Hybrids.