PDA

View Full Version : Water Tank Pump Question

mcglockin
05-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Hey everyone! So I had my mobile system out on its first job, and ran into a small problem. I have a 65 gallon leg style water tank and a 2.3gpm gas pressure washer. I had the about a 50 ft hose hooked up to the tank and pressure washer and the pressure washer sucked my hose flat. I ended up putting the pressure washer directly to the tank to finish the job. My question is does my problem lie in the length of the hose or do I need to get an on demand pump because the tank isn't pushing enough pressure? Thank you all for your opinions, or maybe if it's not too much you could give me some insight on your mobile set ups? Thanks again!

GSKR
05-24-2016, 08:25 PM
What do mean hose went flat.what color is hose,do you have a reel?

Firehouse Mike
05-24-2016, 08:41 PM
I am thinking if the 50' section was off the tank to the PW, you need a bigger pump. The pump rating is off the end of the pump, you will have loss at the end of the hose. with a 2.3 gpm PW i would run a 5 gmp pump with at least 40psi. I run a 3 GPM / 30psi thru a 20' hose to my 1.2 gpm electric with no issues. My gas 2400psi / 2.5 has a real hard time though...
I would shorten up the supply hose for sure, use a 3/4" ID hose for max flow.

GSKR
05-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Something is wrong somewhere.its a standard basic set up,I've never used a pump ever and had 100 ft hose for fleet accts.firehouse Mike gave you some basics for you to look into.I have a 3/8 blue 50 foot hose with a 65 gallon water tank and no promblems or pumps.what kind of pressure washer are you running.

Mantilgh
05-24-2016, 10:38 PM
This may be a dumb question but, does your tank have any kind of vent to prevent a vacuum?

Or maybe just replace your softer hose with a harder plastic/rubber hose that won't collapse as easily.

AutowerxDetailing
05-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Put your pressure washer as close to your water tank as possible and use a high-pressure rated hose to connect the tank and pressure washer. If you need more reach from the pressure washer to your work space just get a longer hose from the pressure washer to the wand.

mcglockin
05-25-2016, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the replys! I was using and older hose that probably wasn't rated for the applicaton. I just bought a heavy duty 5/8 hose that's 15 ft long. Hopefully that will work for now, with that hose and my pw hose I should have more than enough room to get around a vehicle. I think I'll definetly look into getting a 3/8 hose. And my tank has a vent thru the cap at the top, that was one of the first things I checked. Thank you all again for your responses!! I appreciate them very much

mcglockin
05-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Well I just purchased a 50 3/4 heavy duty hose. Reinforced inside so it won't collapse. If this doesn't work I guess I'll go the way of the pump. Hope it does!

DetailProDestin
05-25-2016, 07:59 PM
I've never needed a pump. I always made my own hose with that clear tubing from home depot or lowes. From the tank to the pressure washer, just make one loop, cut and connect. Good luck :xyxthumbs:

mcglockin
05-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Your talking about 10 feet? One loop as in coming off the spool from the store? Thanks for your response, and I love vacationing in destin! Love to have my car cleaned by you when I'm down there next!

215Detailing
01-05-2017, 01:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkNiexyXbk Mobile Car Wash: You Dont Need A Pump