PDA

View Full Version : ONR & Uber Rinseless Wash longevity

Pages : [1] 2

AllanS
05-22-2016, 09:10 PM
A LOT of reading, my first thread post (be easy on me plz!)

I am about to delve into the world of Rinseless Washes! (Totally new & scary world for me!)

I am interested in feedback on how many cars can be washed with ONR or Uber Rinseless. I know that Yvan from OPT says that his shop will wash a day-load or more on 1 batch (per bay). I am trying to decide on which to buy - a lot of people REALLY like the Uber. (No mention that I saw on the site or in forums as to how many cars you can wash with a batch.)

As an enthusiast, can I make a batch (using distilled water) & store for a few weeks (Gamma lid)? Do several cars (within "cleanliness" parameters)? I know ONR will loose it's blue tint, but how long will either product be good for? (The website description on Uber says you can wash your car & toss onto shrubs or something! Seems to me to imply 1 use.)

Also, can a dilution be made to use as for DA-ing (re-moisten your work area or pad prep)? Possibly QD dilution???

Thanks for your feedback.

- Allan

PS - Hope this is posted to correct forum.

TTQ B4U
05-22-2016, 09:48 PM
A LOT of reading, my first thread post (be easy on me plz!)

I am about to delve into the world of Rinseless Washes! (Totally new & scary world for me!)

I am interested in feedback on how many cars can be washed with ONR or Uber Rinseless. I know that Yvan from OPT says that his shop will wash a day-load or more on 1 batch (per bay). I am trying to decide on which to buy - a lot of people REALLY like the Uber. (No mention that I saw on the site or in forums as to how many cars you can wash with a batch.)

As an enthusiast, can I make a batch (using distilled water) & store for a few weeks (Gamma lid)? Do several cars (within "cleanliness" parameters)? I know ONR will loose it's blue tint, but how long will either product be good for? (The website description on Uber says you can wash your car & toss onto shrubs or something! Seems to me to imply 1 use.)

Also, can a dilution be made to use as for DA-ing (re-moisten your work area or pad prep)? Possibly QD dilution???

Welcome to the addiction and no worries on the Rinseless side of life. Once converted you won't likely go back. Nothing to be scared about either. Both the ONR and Wolfgang products are awesome. I give the edge to the Uber product and use it myself.

I use a modified version of the Gary Dean method (see this post (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/100197-rinseless-wash-how-dirty-will-you-go.html#post1368697)) to wash my vehicles thus only using about 2 gallons in total to wash a single vehicle. That leaves nothing left. I'll explain more later. However, in terms of using a two bucket method and a wash mit, I suppose you could wash more than one but I personally am too anal retentive to do that.

Product wise, I pre-mix Uber up in 1 gal bottles and usually keep 2-3 already to go without issue. They have sat around for 1-2 weeks with no apparent impact. This helps me get-going quicker when I decide to wash.

I do also use my products mixed according to their instructions as detail mist and yes to have provided some pad prep/re moistening where needed.

pheerix
05-22-2016, 10:18 PM
No problems mixing up a gallon of QD/waterless wash solution and storing long term. Just make sure you use distilled water.

Legumes
05-22-2016, 11:04 PM
I've had no issues using pre-mixed onr with distilled or non-distilled water up to a few months later. It will lose it's color and some of the originsl scent after a period of time but still performs the same. I just used up a spray bottle of it mixed at a quick detailer ratio that was from December earlier this week and it worked great. Cut right through the greasy fingerprints on my toolbox and left it looking nice and shiny again.

AllanS
05-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks for your replies.

With the usual batch of 2-3 gallons (with distilled water), how many "maintenance car washes" can be reasonably done?

Setec Astronomy
05-23-2016, 11:44 AM
I really tried not to get sucked into this.

I see some people are answering a question you didn't ask, which is sure, rinseless washes store.

But I'm with pdqgp, 1 wash for me and I pour the dirty/rest out.

What you're asking is kind of a complicated question, really, and part of it depends on what technique you are using, and what your reasons are for asking the question. If you're using a grit guard, you don't have to worry much about returning any "heavy" dirt/grit to your car, but the solution will get progressively dirtier and will begin to dirty your drying towels, and it's also hard to see when the car is clean (since you might have to do multiple passes, you want to get all the dirt off before you dry).

I personally usually use a two-bucket method with rinseless, I only mix up a half gallon (I usually prefer to wash wheels/tires conventionally, and you may need more than a half gallon with a very large or very dirty vehicle), and I use 2 gallons in a rinse bucket with a grit guard mixed up at 1/4 strength (to reduce dilution of the wash bucket).

In this way the wash bucket stays pretty clean and you could save it for next time but because I mix up a small amount there isn't usually much left. So are you asking about this purely for economic reasons?

Also you should be aware that ONR vs. Wolfgang Uber Rinseless is kind of an apples to oranges comparison, as the Uber definitely seems to have some sealant that it leaves behind, and perhaps would be better compared to ONRWW.

AllanS
05-23-2016, 04:55 PM
I really tried not to get sucked into this.

I see some people are answering a question you didn't ask, which is sure, rinseless washes store.

But I'm with pdqgp, 1 wash for me and I pour the dirty/rest out.

What you're asking is kind of a complicated question, really, and part of it depends on what technique you are using, and what your reasons are for asking the question. If you're using a grit guard, you don't have to worry much about returning any "heavy" dirt/grit to your car, but the solution will get progressively dirtier and will begin to dirty your drying towels, and it's also hard to see when the car is clean (since you might have to do multiple passes, you want to get all the dirt off before you dry).

I personally usually use a two-bucket method with rinseless, I only mix up a half gallon (I usually prefer to wash wheels/tires conventionally, and you may need more than a half gallon with a very large or very dirty vehicle), and I use 2 gallons in a rinse bucket with a grit guard mixed up at 1/4 strength (to reduce dilution of the wash bucket).

In this way the wash bucket stays pretty clean and you could save it for next time but because I mix up a small amount there isn't usually much left. So are you asking about this purely for economic reasons?

Also you should be aware that ONR vs. Wolfgang Uber Rinseless is kind of an apples to oranges comparison, as the Uber definitely seems to have some sealant that it leaves behind, and perhaps would be better compared to ONRWW.

Thanks for the detailed reply. (no pun intended)

Would be using a GG in single bucket with Big Red Sponge. Several MF plush drying towels. (wheels / tires done separately)

Not PURELY economic, but was under the impression that 1 batch can do several car washes if car isn't too dirty (esp if using a GG).

Didn't know that WGUR was closer to a wash/wax product, I must have missed that product description! (Though most say it has a slick feel after.)

Thx

Setec Astronomy
05-23-2016, 05:19 PM
So let's just say you mix two gallons of solution in your single bucket with Grit Guard. Yes, if the car isn't too dirty, you could get by with doing 2 or maybe 3 washes without changing the solution (or perhaps more). That might have a benefit if you have a stable of 2 or 3 cars that you're going to wash at the same time, but if you're washing 1 car once a week, I don't really see the point of not pouring it out after you're done and starting fresh the next week.

I know Yvan promotes continual reuse of the product, but how many cars in a row does he wash in his shop in a day? 5? 10? 20? And then he probably pours it out at the end of the day (I hope). It's not like he doesn't have plenty of product; he says he buys ONR in 55 gallon drums.

This really comes down to personal preference; I think you've really got to try it yourself and see what your tolerance level is for the "dirtiness" of the wash solution.

pheerix
05-23-2016, 05:37 PM
I do the multiple towel method and I've gotten it down pretty consistently to using 1.5 gallons each wash so I only make up 1.5 gallons and have very little waste afterwards.

Mike Honcho
05-23-2016, 06:27 PM
I do the multiple towel method and I've gotten it down pretty consistently to using 1.5 gallons each wash so I only make up 1.5 gallons and have very little waste afterwards.

+1

Mike Honcho
05-23-2016, 06:29 PM
And what little I do have left over I put in a little pump sprayer and presoak the car the next time I wash.

cyclops
07-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Reused Uber mixture for the first time today. Stored it in the garage for one week and after unscrewing the lid noticed little blobs of Uber had formed on the top of the water and sides of the bucket. It is the middle of summer where outside the temp was north of 105 all week and of course much hotter in the garage so stands to reason.

Just out of curiosity mixed it all very well sprayed van down with a presoak and used it on the test mule, silver company van. It worked perfect, no streaks nice and glossy, if anything maybe not as slick as normal but also did the wash in direct sunlight.

Bottom line even if cooked for a week seems to still work well.

FUNX650
07-23-2016, 04:50 PM
As an enthusiast,
can I make a batch (using distilled water)
& store for a few weeks (Gamma lid)?

Do several cars (within "cleanliness" parameters)?
I know ONR will loose it's blue tint, but how long
will either product be good for?

(The website description on Uber says you can
wash your car & toss onto shrubs or something!
Seems to me to imply 1 use.)

Also, can a dilution be made to use as for DA-ing
(re-moisten your work area or pad prep)?
Possibly QD dilution???

To me:
When it comes to products that use modern
polymer technology (as these RWs/WWs make
claim to)...

It boils down to their polymers':
1.) degradation reactions; and,
2.) their stability (control of these
deteriorative reactions)

•Among some of the more degradative,
deteriorative reactions that occur are when:
-polymers are subjected to heat and
mechanical stress;
-and when they're exposed to oxygen,
sunlight, other atmospheric contaminates.

•So, IMO:
-The longer you keep your clean RW/WW
solutions---when not in use---stored in:
-closed containers (you mentioned Gamma Lids);
out of the Sun; and in a not too hot environment...

-Then the longer they'll remain
viable car-washing solutions.

Bob

Real Riders
07-23-2016, 07:05 PM
My neighbor uses ONRww to wash his Corvette. He uses the Garry Dean Wash Method and the solution lasted a year in his bucket with a lid

Loach
07-23-2016, 07:11 PM
I do a lot of quick cleaning on the front of the test car with Uber in both rinseless and waterless dilutions. With the rinseless solution, I was going about 2-3 days before I dumped it out to make another batch. When mixing it up with tap water and not using a separate rinse bucket to dunk the grout sponge or microfiber, it was going about a 3 day period before it started smelling funky with a build up of grimy solution on the inside walls of the bucket. Even with the gamma seal. Without the gamma seal, the bugs loved the stuff and I would find a bunch of them stuck in there the next day. It also gets hot and humid in the garage overnight so I'm sure that environment mixed with the light contamination combined with the tap water is a bit of torture for the life of the rinseless solution. So if you're going to do it, sealing it up with a gamma seal and using a dedicated rinse bucket or the Garry Dean microfiber method might save it for extended use. With the waterless dilution mixed with distilled water, it works great, smells great and it's been months since I filled that bottle up.