PDA

View Full Version : Did I ruin my paint?

Dave5150
05-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Hi guys, I have a small dent in my door. I read that I could try to heat the area with a heat gun and then spray compressed air to see if it could have the dent pop out on its own. Well I guess I was a little too liberal with the heat. Not only did the trick not work, once I got outside my garage I noticed that the area had a yellowing to it. Tough to see on silver paint but a pic is attached.

I'm hoping I didn't ruin the clear coat but I suspect I did. Is my only option to have the entire door repainted?

Kicking myself :(

TTQ B4U
05-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Hi guys, I have a small dent in my door. I read that I could try to heat the area with a heat gun and then spray compressed air to see if it could have the dent pop out on its own. Well I guess I was a little too liberal with the heat. Not only did the trick not work, once I got outside my garage I noticed that the area had a yellowing to it. Tough to see on silver paint but a pic is attached.

I'm hoping I didn't ruin the clear coat but I suspect I did. Is my only option to have the entire door repainted?

Trick I've seen used but have never done is dry ice applied with care for 20 seconds then a heat gun and the ding "pinged" out like new. Again, never did that nor would I. The local PDR Place I know the fellow there and he's like $50 to pull one out. Cheap and worth it.

Rsurfer
05-22-2016, 02:34 PM

Get a PDR guy out and then try to buff the area out.

goldenlight
05-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Possibly??

Sizzle Chest
05-22-2016, 03:14 PM
It may have literally burned the clear...

Dave5150
05-22-2016, 04:26 PM
It may have literally burned the clear...

Yeah I'm afraid of that. I should have done way more research before blindly following youtube videos.

I guess my concern is how much this will be a problem in the future. Right now it doesn't look horrible. I notice it because I did it and also I'm anal, but I can live with it as it is... but if I did burn through the clear I'll at least need to brush on some clear to replace it so it doesn't get any worse over time right?

I'll probably just take it to a reputable body shop and see what they say, but again, I'm pretty pissed at myself for doing that.

WaxMaster1
05-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Yikes! Heat guns are well.........HOT! My guess is that you burnt the paint, but I'm not there in person. I would try a polish and if needed, a compound to try and see if the brown area comes clean. If not, where the damage is looks like you're lucky as a repair can be done without having to blend that left quarter panel. If you were closer to the rear of that door that silver would have to be blended onto the quarter to get an invisible repair.

LSNAutoDetailing
05-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Well, at least now for sure you'll have the dent fixed along with the paint by the body shop.

You should have contacted a place that offers dentless repair. They use special tools and techniques to get behind the body panel, and yes heat through friction, but not in the painted side.

I just had it done on two dings on my Mustang. I couldn't even tell you where the dings were now.

shadwell
05-22-2016, 05:39 PM
There are small vacumn (baby suction cup) dent pullers available in auto stores.. work well on small non creased dents where the panel metal has not been stretched..

You can aso remove the door trim and ease the dent from the back with a piece of wood with cloth over the end....

If neither of these work then you are into the hands of the professionals..

With your's i'd carefully hand compound the yellowed clear and see if you can remove it, then get the dent repair guy out..

Again polish after the dent is removed as the surface will be easier to polish well..

Best of luck

briarpatch
05-22-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing you burned the clear. The damage may be able to be repaired, as in the door being 're-cleared...but most body shops are gonna try and get u to pay for a repaint...along with fixing the dent

heathmc
05-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Well, at least now for sure you'll have the dent fixed along with the paint by the body shop.

You should have contacted a place that offers dentless repair. They use special tools and techniques to get behind the body panel, and yes heat through friction, but not in the painted side.

I just had it done on two dings on my Mustang. I couldn't even tell you where the dings were now.

What's the going rate on pdr? I have a couple of dings in my truck that I need to have repaired sometime.

Mike@ShineStruck
05-22-2016, 11:34 PM
I've seen said trick on a FB video a couple days ago..but it was on a plastic or w.e front bumper not metal panels

Hope you get squared away

kevincwelch
05-23-2016, 06:47 AM
What's the going rate on pdr? I have a couple of dings in my truck that I need to have repaired sometime.
Regionally dependent, of course.

If a ding is located in the middle of a large flat panel that is easily accessed, a single ding may be about $50-$100. If it's closer to a fold in the metal or your car is aluminum, the cost will be higher.

This cost me $1200 to have a PDR guy do:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/6076eb188064379ee68709170e283429.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/16f2eb074ca638b9a61e47a110dba5c3.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/62e09a8dd5e9875f6eadd8809eed4940.jpg

After:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/3e4b20605059315d4913433c600bea5c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/a183af42e089f458524f0ea541147e9c.jpg

(Sent from my mobile device.)

TTQ B4U
05-23-2016, 06:50 AM

Prolly will range from $50-80 per ding. You might get a break if they only access one panel. Depends on the size of the ding/dent too.