PDA

View Full Version : Best protection for chrome

Pages : [1] 2

bullitt1939
05-21-2016, 06:32 AM
I live in north Louisiana and it is very humid here. I am looking for the best way to protect and preserve chrome. I have heard putting wax on top once it is polished helps, but I have not tired this.

Bunky
05-21-2016, 06:53 AM
I often use just a spray wax on chrome like on chrome wheels after a wash. It seems to last more than one would think and makes cleaning them easier.

GSKR
05-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Collinite products work good.The key is to keep on top of it being in humid environment.

bullitt1939
05-21-2016, 10:59 PM
I often use just a spray wax on chrome like on chrome wheels after a wash. It seems to last more than one would think and makes cleaning them easier.
It is mainly for our show cars we have a lot of chrome under the hood.

bullitt1939
05-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Collinite products work good.The key is to keep on top of it being in humid environment.
What products have you tried and does this polish and protect?

GSKR
05-22-2016, 06:36 AM
What products have you tried and does this polish and protect?
Deosnt polish but protects pretty good.you probably can just get by with a cleaner wax or check out mothers they have that sector covered.If the chrome is like new I would just apply collinite.I use oooo fine steel wool with glass cleaner to get the humidity crud or grime off then apply collinite .

GSKR
05-22-2016, 06:49 AM
Come to think I have optimium chrome metal polish in my work truck,very mild cleaning agents and protects.I don't use often because of the settling on the bottom,I can shake it 30 times but don't have the patience.works pretty good just leave it upside down like a ketchup bottle.

bullitt1939
05-22-2016, 06:51 AM
Deosnt polish but protects pretty good.you probably can just get by with a cleaner wax or check out mothers they have that sector covered.If the chrome is like new I would just apply collinite.I use oooo fine steel wool with glass cleaner to get the humidity crud or grime off then apply collinite .

I was doing some reading on Collinite Metal Wax and it is a cleaner and protectant all in one. I have never tried this product, but we have about 20 cars so may give this a try. I am also a fan of Poorboy products, but I haven't tried the chrome polish nor do I think it offers any type of protection other than polishing.

GSKR
05-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Man I forgot that collinite has that product there you go.

GSKR
05-22-2016, 07:21 AM
I have a client who has 30 classic cars stored in a hangar at a private airport.These are top notch restorations .so every 2 or 3 months I go there and clean that humidity grime off of ever car and the inside has ac and still gets on the cars.The best thing that works is plain water,it cuts the grime on everything.spraywax just moves it around causing a oily film.on te bumpers I use glass cleaner on all the chrome hubcaps mirrors and that anaodized aluminum.its a pita and dread going there.and the cars are all covered .

BillyJack
05-22-2016, 07:50 AM
I've been using the Collinite #850 Metal Wax on my El Camino for many years, on the chrome as well as stainless and aluminum. 850 is not as aggressive as many other polishes, so nasty areas may need a stronger polish at first, or #0000 steel wool with the 850, but the legendary Collinite protection lasts nearly forever. My truck has been retired from daily use and is now a garage queen, so a once a year treatment is all it needs to keep everything nice.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/kaminokids/El%20Cam%20forum%20pics/calendarrfcropped2.jpg

Bill

GSKR
05-22-2016, 08:59 AM
I'm Gonna add that to my arsenal thanks for the info.

Whitewater25
05-22-2016, 09:30 AM
If the chrome isn't in bad shape,you might be able to use Fleetwax on it. The metal wax works to remove light rust and other stuff but it is lightly abrasive. Fleetwax also hold up longer. We use Fleetwax on the polished stainless on the motor yacht I work on. We apply a heavy coat and don't remove it for deliveries of 3 days or more and then wax it off after arrival. It really protects the metal from the salt spray during rough transits and then for several months after we remove it. We also have the Insulator wax on board but I have the crew use Fleetwax because it holds up longer. It is a multi use product.

JRP
05-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Has anyone tried Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Concours Metal Sealant by Wolfgang on chrome.

I got it in a mystery box. Just have not had opportunity to use it.

Seal in the mirror-like shine on all polished metals.

davidc
05-22-2016, 11:47 AM
I would use the 845, 476S or 885 if the chrome is in good condition. If there is a problem with the chrome then 850 topped with any of the LSP's. 850 is not meant to be used constantly unless you have chrome problems regularly. 850 is meant to clean up the problem.
From Collinite's site

2a.
NOT for use on:

Clear coat paint or painted metals

*Clean metal surfaces where the cleaning agents/abrasives found in the No. 850 Metal Wax are not required.

Surfaces NOT recommended above, as testing has yet to be extensively conducted. Refer to Collinite
directly with application inquiries.

Dave