PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating for my customers?

heckhole
05-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Hey everyone,

I am looking to dive into the ceramic coating side of detailing. I have been in touch with a few companies that don't offer any products to the general public, only certified installers. While their pricing is friendly, they often protect the market and I have to charge a specified amount. I don't live in a market where I can do that - although I'd be the only installer in a 50 mile radius. It's just not feasible for my location.

So I'm asking, which ceramic coating from Autogeek would be a trust worthy, high quality coating that I could sell & install for my client base?

What are some of the do's & don'ts of ceramic coatings?

One of my personal vehicles is a survivor for it's age and the clear is thinning near the bottom of the doors & behind the wheels, typical spots, there is no real damage, just what appears to be years of the sand-blasting effect of dirty roads. You can't feel it, but you can see the thinning of the clear. The last major CC company I spoke with, told me a CC would be the perfect solution - but I was having a hard time believing it because of their explanation of how the CC 'chemically bonds' to the clear - and this worried me because I have no idea if that would be an issue if it were to bond to the base-coat. In all honesty, the car just needs to be shot with clear. I've seen this multiple times on cars I've cleaned up/glazed and would really like to offer a repair option.

LSNAutoDetailing
05-18-2016, 02:58 PM
In all honesty, the car just needs to be shot with clear.

You can't make up for what isn't there. If there is clear-coat degradation, it needs to be resolved.

Are you outside the US? I ask because I'm not sure what companies you'd speak to that AG doesn't carry... aside from being outside the US Market, which is why I asked.

So I'm asking, which ceramic coating from Autogeek would be a trust worthy, high quality coating that I could sell & install for my client base?

Any coating, be it McKee's, Pinnacle Black Label, Opt, CarPro, etc are all exceptional. As far as ease of use (if you're just getting into coatings), Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating is by far the easiest to apply. It's look is stellar as compared to any other coating, however, I've been told (no first hand knowledge) that Ver I falls short of longevity (and I'm talking short of a 2 year claim), thus they came out with Ver II.

What are some of the do's & don'ts of ceramic coatings?
You'll probably want to remove any defects (swirls/scratches) as part of the detailing event, thus Full paint correction.
Paint must be free and clear of polishing oils, each vendor has a product to do that (i.e. Erasure, Pinnacle BL Diamond Surface Prep Polish).
Don't get it wet within the recommended period of curing time.
Don't apply in sunlight
Make sure you apply in the documented temperature range that the instructions dictate
Cure in sun-light
Humidity and temp will dictate how much time before you remove from the body panel, mileage may vary you'll have to do test spots.
Each vendor will have it's own recommendation for applicators and removal towels.
YouTube is your friend...

Hope all this helps!

Mike lambert
05-18-2016, 06:01 PM
Excellent response!