PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this grill

Pages : [1] 2 3

oboroballa03
05-17-2016, 07:03 PM
The owner of this truck had a guy detail it and you can see from the pic what happened. Looks like a chemical/cleaner dried on the black plastic and the owner wants to know if i can fix it because the previous detailer is denying it and isn't willing to try and fix it. So my question is...what would be the best option to try to fix it? I have never had anything like this before and the only product i have for trim right now is the mothers back to black cleaner and the restorer. It has worked decent on other projects but they were minor. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated thanks.

custmsprty
05-17-2016, 07:12 PM
Basket case, nothing will permanently restore that mess that I know of.

mwoolfso
05-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Forever Black restores a dark, black, finish on sun-faded bumpers and body moldings. Forever Black permanently dyes black plastic, rubber and vinyl. (http://www.autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html)

Mantilgh
05-17-2016, 07:23 PM
If it's as bad as it looks, I would tape the tape off around it and use a strong mix of APC and a brush, or maybe even a green pot scrubber. Then use something like Solution Finish(haven't used it) or the TW trim product.

If it doesn't look somewhat even after cleaning it really well, you might be better of painting it.

The TW product is similar to acrylic paint IMO.

shadwell
05-17-2016, 07:25 PM
i'd have it painted....

GSKR
05-17-2016, 07:27 PM
I would drench that in apc,and let it dwell on there pretty good like 15 minutes .crank up the pw with a white tip and closely blast it off.Hold the tip about 3 inches away not so close that you will pierce the material.stay off the ford oval symbol.start with 1500 psi and adjust psi if need be.

David Hayward
05-17-2016, 07:35 PM
Yea my choices would be to scrub real real good and then try solution finish. If not that, and I typically never suggest the product, but maybe this could be a good plastidip candidate.

dpk20x
05-17-2016, 07:40 PM

Pm sent

GSKR
05-17-2016, 07:45 PM
You can't scrub that it's textured.If you try to scrub you will be riding all the texture and not removing the wax between the valleys of the textured surface.Thats a easy promblem there.

ascarbo27
05-17-2016, 07:56 PM
You can't scrub that it's textured.If you try to scrub you will be riding all the texture and not removing the wax between the valleys of the textured surface.Thats a easy promblem there.

if you used a tooth brush or a brush of any kind it wouldnt get between the "valleys"?

GenesisCoupe
05-17-2016, 08:02 PM
i'd scrub with APC first, but don't do in sun (obviously) and don't let it dry.

I did an Avalanche with the crazy amount of plastic trim, i put CQUK on it and to this day the owner is super happy with the results..it's been 2 years since application of the coating on the trim. Perhaps try that?

GSKR
05-17-2016, 08:11 PM
if you used a tooth brush or a brush of any kind it wouldnt get between the "valleys"?
Yes it would but it's not that effective on removal.a pot scrubber will wreck that and potential show abrasion when dry.The quickest no touch method is a pressure washer with a apc with a lot of alkaline in it.

SYMAWD
05-17-2016, 08:36 PM
If you can't clean it, I would suggest that the owner just plasti-dips it.

TTQ B4U
05-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Forever Black restores a dark, black, finish on sun-faded bumpers and body moldings. Forever Black permanently dyes black plastic, rubber and vinyl. (http://www.autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html)

+1 for dye based solutions.

I've not used this exact product but a competetive one and it's last for several months including through winter and it's showing no signed of issues. I will be trying Forever Black next as I plan on doing my neighbors van.

The cowl was so faded and nasty it was like gray/white in areas.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Minivan/DSC00967_zpswmewbouh.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PDQS4/media/Minivan/DSC00967_zpswmewbouh.jpg.html)

oboroballa03
05-17-2016, 09:13 PM
I have meguiars super degreaser and apc. I also have some La Totally awesome i guess i cant make it any worse unless i scrub too hard but i will just have to try some things and see if any will work. I will update and let you guys know if i find a good fix thanks again.