PDA

View Full Version : Can there be too many tire dressing posts?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Riff
05-17-2016, 08:52 AM
I've been a huge fan of Tuf Shine for about 2 years now. Last week I received Ultima Tire and Trim Guard I planned on using for plastic trim and decided to do a comparison between the two on tires.

I had applied Tuf Shine last on March 20. It was mostly gone but I didn't do anything specific to remove it so I'm sure there was a little left. Just washed with Duragloss 902 and a stiff brush.

I was originally planning on one coat each but I was a little disappointed with the Tuf Shine so I kept going. I ended up with 3 coats of each.

All pics have UTTG on the left and Tuf Shine on the right.

One coat:

Two coats:

Three coats:

Setec Astronomy
05-17-2016, 08:56 AM
So what was your conclusion? It's hard to tell from the pics but even after 3 coats the UTTG still seems darker/richer (well, maybe at 3 coats they are comparable, but I'm interested in your real life opinion since it's sometimes hard to tell in pics). I'd like to see a weekly update, I'm sure the Tuf Shine will be the ultimate (ha ha, no pun intended) winner.

I don't have UTTG but I have WETS...I'm trying to think if I ever tried it on a tire, I don't think so because of its relative cost and the fact I have tons of tire dressings.

Riff
05-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Wups. Wrong picture. The last one in two coats should be this one.

Riff
05-17-2016, 09:20 AM
At one coat, the UTTG wins easily. Much darker and the perfect shine for me. They are very close at three coats.

I'm leaning towards UTTG now because it looks like I can get the shine I like in one or two coats where Tuf Shine needs at least three.

But it's just been one day and it was overcast all day so I couldn't get a good look at it in the sun.

I'll try to keep this post updated.

GSKR
05-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Wets is good on tires.The pros easy application on slotted design sidewalls with no excessive buildup.Easy 10 minutes to reapply after each wash and will last for 2 months on one application.I put it on my tires on my new merc and I didn't want to put anything on the tires that could backfire and cause a promblems.The cons a little tacky and attracts a little dust.I tried Blackfire trim sealant on a travel trailer tires and the big plastic case that encloses the propane.Nice product as well and dries real quick but to little of a dull look,once applied on tires you can't adjust the sheen you desire like wets overall 2 good products.

FUNX650
05-17-2016, 10:32 AM
If I'm not mistaken...
TuF Shine recommends a more
intensive tire prep, than the
one you used, before applying
their tire Coating.

Bob

MattPersman
05-17-2016, 11:47 AM
No...I could read tire shine posts all day cause we all keep looking for something that really works like we think it should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riff
05-17-2016, 03:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken...
TuF Shine recommends a more
intensive tire prep, than the
one you used, before applying
their tire Coating.

Bob

On my initial application 2 years ago I did an OCD style cleaning with the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner. First with the supplied Tuf Shine brush all the way down to a toothbrush to get in every nook and cranny. Since then, I only clean the tires with Duragloss 902 and a tire brush.

What I'm not sure of is, should I have removed the old Tuf Shine before applying the UTTG over it.

Mike Phillips
05-17-2016, 03:16 PM
To your question...

Can there be too many tire dressing posts?

The answer is "yes".

Everyone take note. After this thread no more threads or posts on tire dressings.

Violators will have their tires and tire dressings taken away.

:)

Riff
05-17-2016, 03:19 PM
To your question...

The answer is "yes".

Everyone take note. After this thread no more threads or posts on tire dressings.

Violators will have their tires and tire dressings taken away.

:)

Noooooooooooooo

Riff
05-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Btw, can we change the "like" symbol to a thumbs up or something? The heart is a little...I don't know, Valentiny. 😃

JeffM
05-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Is it the Ultima product that is now waterbased, but wasnt before? Hard to keep track of all the products.

FUNX650
05-17-2016, 06:39 PM
What I'm not sure of is, should I have removed the
old Tuf Shine before applying the UTTG over it.
To be fair, probably so.

Another way of looking at it:
You should be finding out...pretty soon.

Bob

Riff
05-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Is it the Ultima product that is now waterbased, but wasnt before? Hard to keep track of all the products.

I'm not sure. This is the first time I ever bought it and don't know if it was changed.

Setec Astronomy
05-17-2016, 07:15 PM

That's correct.