PDA

View Full Version : New member asking for advice on plan of attack -

Jeeprz
05-17-2016, 02:05 AM
Hi peeps!
I've been lurking, reading and hopefully learning for sometime but just signed up because I recently purchased my first DA polisher kit after being inspired by your posts and results and I want to get a bit more serious about my detailing.
Let me start off by stating that the victims (cars) I will be working on are daily drivers parked outside in the country in a gravel driveway in Ohio year round 24/7, and also that I am realistic and I don't expect car show results due to me being new to what I consider advanced detailing and the conditions I am constrained with.
Another issue is that I am restricted to well water with a heavy iron content, or going to a car wash.

This is what I currently have to work with;

Meg's Gold class car wash concentrate (already had it)
Meg's clay bar kit with quick detail spray (already had it)
Meg's NXT 2.0 tech wax (already had it)
Meg's swirl x (already had it)
3M compound, swirl remover, and a bottle of polish or sealer or wax - I don't remember the exact names but I've had these bottles for YEARS like 15 plus? in an unheated garage so maybe the should just be tossed?
About 20 light green microfiber cloths - think washcloth or hand towel size, that I got on closeout at target auto section about 6 years ago, not used much and only for the cars, wash at the laundromat with soap only.
3 heavier yellow fluffy microfiber towels, Megs I think.

*NOTE - The stuff I marked "already had it" I used by hand on my Saturn last year and was not really impressed by the results

What I just bought;

Griot's Garage 6 inch Polisher (3rd Gen) HD 25' cord with 6 in backing plate.
Dual Action 5” Flex Backing Plate
16 oz. Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Compound
16 oz. Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish
5.5 inch CCS Orange Light Cutting Pad
5.5 inch CCS White Polishing Pad
5.5 inch CCS Red smart finishing pad
Collinite 915 12fl. oz.

Let the games begin!

First Victim = 1998 Saturn SC2 dark factory metallic green with 160k.

This is my personal daily driver, it's my beginner "test" car so If I mess it up I won't cry about it - I can literally destroy the finish and I will just re-shoot it satin black and call it a learning experience. If you know Saturn's you know the body panels are mostly plastic so it still looks pretty good for its age and I really like the dark forest metallic green, and I honestly think I can make it "pop" again for what it is..
It has factory orange peel, light to medium scratches, swirls marks all over in the sunlight, small rock chips on the nose and hood but not too bad considering its age.
I've had it about 6 years, I went over it with the Meg's products I mentioned about four years ago and again last summer - my 18 yo nephew has been in possession and driving it for the last three months, and now the clear coat has about six spots on the factory rear wing that are failing, chipped and peeling about the size of a dime/nickle each, I'm thinking it's due to something he did because of how long I had it and of course when I got it back it was on fumes and filthy inside and out.

My plan of attack;
Due to my well water and my cars current trashed condition, take it to the DIY bay car wash and soak it with the wand - no touch and no bushes - foam it up good and let it soak to get the big stuff off (someone either puked out the passenger door going 60 mph or dumped a pop or something - think flames, but not cool paint job flames)
Come home and hand wash "correctly as I can" bucket style with the Meg's gold class wash and microfiber.
Clay it with the meg's clay and quick detailer, or even just more concentrated Meg's gold wash soap mix to make it go farther with the clay.
Next bust out the new shinny Griot's 6 inch Polisher, swap the 6in backing plate for the 5 inch plate, orange ccs pad, and blackfire src compound.
Next switch to the white ccs pad, and blackfire finishing polish.
Next switch to the red ccs pad for the Collonite 915
Hand wipe the wax off with the light green microfibers I have, or possibly get a microfiber bonnet to take it off with the Griots (I don't have any yet).
Finish with a hand polish of the Meg's (I think) thick fluffy gold micro fibers towels, then let it cure in the shade and depending on the outcome give it a couple more coats of the 915 with cure time in between, or the next days as time and weather allows.

My choice of the the Collonite 915 was due the the reviews across the web and the conditions the victims I work on will have to endure.

I welcome any and all comments or suggestions, but keep in mind I currently have limited options and resources so while suggesting that I go Dodo juice or "insert that crazy good wax" will be appreciated, it will be out of the scope of my post and budget for my skill level, and the environment my victims have to survive in.

Anyway if you've have read this far I thank you, I am a car guy at heart with De Tomaso pantera tastes, and a PBR budget (No I don't drink PBR, New Belgium fat tire tonight 8).

Next Victim = My mothers 2013 Nissan Rogue, factory burgundy metallic red, bad factory orange peel, very few scratches, lots of swirl marks. factory sticker under the hood say's "HARD CLEAR COAT, USE ONLY APPROVED REFINISHING PRODUCTS", like that helps right?