PDA

View Full Version : Which color pad to use.

2011 Kona Blue
05-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Quick question guys! If I were to use Meguiars Ultimate Polish after using a compounding polish, which pad should I use. A white polishing pad or green polishing pad, blue, black??? Or should I use and orange pad with the polish?

Can I use a micro fiber finishing pad for the Megs Ultimate Polish. Also, what speed setting should I be on when doing this? In have been using speed 4 for the polish part.

2011 Kona Blue
05-17-2016, 12:03 AM
I'm a bit confused. Let's take the HD polish for example. If polish is also for some cutting properties then wouldnt I want a cutting pad when using this? Which pad should we use with polish like HD Polish? Green, white, orange, black???

TTQ B4U
05-17-2016, 05:07 AM
Quick question guys! If I were to use Meguiars Ultimate Polish after using a compounding polish, which pad should I use. A white polishing pad or green polishing pad, blue, black??? Or should I use and orange pad with the polish?

Can I use a micro fiber finishing pad for the Megs Ultimate Polish. Also, what speed setting should I be on when doing this? In have been using speed 4 for the polish part.

I'm a bit confused. Let's take the HD polish for example. If polish is also for some cutting properties then wouldnt I want a cutting pad when using this? Which pad should we use with polish like HD Polish? Green, white, orange, black???

IIRC you're using a standard DA buffer like the PC-7424 right? Just clarify if you would which buffer as that will impact which pads we should discuss. I'm going with standard stuff here.

Pads and polishes work together. Pads perform different from each other on the basis of how they’re constructed. I use Hex-Logic made by Buff and Shine. Their pads and the standard thickness B&S flat pads are like honeycombs. The Orange is more aggressive and has larger honeycomb like structure and are firmer in density. White and black have smaller structure and are softer in density.

When you apply pressure to a pad that is firmer it allows the compounds in the polish to cut more, thus why orange is a cutting pad. A white pad is softer thus won't cut as much as the pad is flexing and the polish doesn't transmit as much "cut" to the paint. Make sense?

In the end you could use an orange pad and see more cut, white less cut, black has virtually no cut so it won't do much with Ultimate Polish in terms of removing defects. Make sense?

Speed wise for polishing, usually 4-5 on a scale of 1-6.

This chart should help cover things a bit more: Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buffing-pad-chart-lc.htm)

2011 Kona Blue
05-17-2016, 05:13 AM
IIRC you're using a standard DA buffer like the PC-7424 right? Just clarify if you would which buffer as that will impact which pads we should discuss. I'm going with standard stuff here.

Pads and polishes work together. Pads perform different from each other on the basis of how they’re constructed. I use Hex-Logic made by Buff and Shine. Their pads and the standard thickness B&S flat pads are like honeycombs. The Orange is more aggressive and has larger honeycomb like structure and are firmer in density. White and black have smaller structure and are softer in density.

When you apply pressure to a pad that is firmer it allows the compounds in the polish to cut more, thus why orange is a cutting pad. A white pad is softer thus won't cut as much as the pad is flexing and the polish doesn't transmit as much "cut" to the paint. Make sense?

In the end you could use an orange pad and see more cut, white less cut, black has virtually no cut so it won't do much with Ultimate Polish in terms of removing defects. Make sense?

Speed wise for polishing, usually 4-5 on a scale of 1-6.

This chart should help cover things a bit more: Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buffing-pad-chart-lc.htm)

Thank you sir. For polishing a vehicle, you are correct. I would use my Porter Cable 7424xp

Calendyr
05-18-2016, 01:49 PM
I have not seen much difference in the performance of green and white pads. So for polishing I would say both work very well. If you do more than one polishing step then you might want to use the white one for coarser polish and the green one for finer polish. Otherwise I think you choice of polish will have more impact on the result than choosing either ones of these pads. The orange is my go to for most of my work. I do a lot of AIO and I like to do it on orange pads most of the time unless the paint has very little swirls. I pretty much never use the yellow pads. As for the finishing pads, Mike would be the person to ask. I use Red pads most of the time. I have some blue pads but have yet to use them. I believe the blue are better for waxes, not too sure.

If you are purchasing pads (and is why you are asking the question) I would suggest this: Get Orange pads for compounding, heavy polishing and AIOs. For polishing white or green will work very well. And for finishing, Red ones work awesome.

heckhole
05-18-2016, 02:09 PM
I want to mention that while there are pads specified for each step of a compounding/polishing job - each cars paint reacts different to any given combination of pads/compounds/polishes. You should have an assortment of these pads from compounding pads, to polishing, to finishing pads. You can follow the cookie-cutter steps and if you aren't satisfied or are experiencing issues - experiment. You'll find the combo you need for success.

Zubair
05-18-2016, 02:30 PM
The Orange LC or BnS are fantastic all in one/general purpose type pads that provide both cut and gloss. They have more cut than green or white pads and gloss about the same. I find the orange to be my most reached for or popular pad on compounds,polishes and AIO's. It's an all rounder that finishes lsp ready. One can never have too many orange pads of any kind.

2011 Kona Blue
05-18-2016, 03:19 PM
I have not seen much difference in the performance of green and white pads. So for polishing I would say both work very well. If you do more than one polishing step then you might want to use the white one for coarser polish and the green one for finer polish. Otherwise I think you choice of polish will have more impact on the result than choosing either ones of these pads. The orange is my go to for most of my work. I do a lot of AIO and I like to do it on orange pads most of the time unless the paint has very little swirls. I pretty much never use the yellow pads. As for the finishing pads, Mike would be the person to ask. I use Red pads most of the time. I have some blue pads but have yet to use them. I believe the blue are better for waxes, not too sure.

If you are purchasing pads (and is why you are asking the question) I would suggest this: Get Orange pads for compounding, heavy polishing and AIOs. For polishing white or green will work very well. And for finishing, Red ones work awesome.

So, should I be using the orange LC pads for my AIO? I been using my green pads for the AIO? What about finishing MF pads for an AIO?

blkSRT
05-18-2016, 03:26 PM
That's why a test spot is important. Different products and pads are going to react differently depending on the car.