PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting wheels!

StealthXJ
05-16-2016, 08:38 PM
Today I replaced my spark plugs in my 2001 Jeep Cherokee and planned to rotate my tires. I decided to deep clean all four wheels and tires on the backside. I'm pretty sure that as long as the vehicle has existed the wheel tubs tubs have never been cleaned, so I really had my work cutout for me! Attached are the before and after shots. I used Zep Citrus cut 4:1 and straight 505 on the tires. I used a stiff scrub brush on the wheels, rinses, sprayed again with Citrus and scrubbed even more with a red scotch pad. It took me forever! I probably could have worked on them even more, but they came out much better than they were!

Have you all ever come across such a nasty wheel tub while detailing? If so, what products and tools do you use? Also, how do you charge a customer accordingly? A lot of the spots on the wheels I know would require reconditioning, which is not something that I know how to do. I'm just curious how you all would approach this situation if you were contracted to do a complete detail, including the entire wheel. Thank you!

Setec Astronomy
05-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Um...that's about normal, that's etched in and won't come off. Those areas probably weren't painted.

GSKR
05-16-2016, 08:58 PM
That's nothing.If you had the right products 5 minutes per wheel.

StealthXJ
05-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Um...that's about normal, that's etched in and won't come off. Those areas probably weren't painted.

I think a lot of it is heavily etched in as well.

GSKR, you really think so? I did order some Tarminator, so I may try that when it come in. What would you recommend? What tools? Richy and others seem to love 505 and Citrus, and overall I am pretty happy with the purchase. For something so extreme, however, I'm sure something stronger is needed.

Business side, how would you approach this?

GSKR
05-16-2016, 09:22 PM
Diluting Home Depot products was your first mistake.There pretty much weak using full strength.I don't get involved with taking wheels off,but if I was faced with that scenario apc first then a acid based cleaner to remove the crud then lacquer thinner for the tar all with a pressure washer.

StealthXJ
05-16-2016, 09:46 PM
I do not own a pressure washer yet, but I'll look into one. Also, I take it that you are not a fan of using Zep products? They get awesome reviews by a ton of well respected people on here. Lacquer thinner, now that's interesting. I may not take wheels off for customers, but I'm just curious.

GSKR
05-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Zep products are consumer grade products.There not professional grade strength to much agitation with those products,I don't agitate anything.

StealthXJ
05-16-2016, 09:55 PM
What products have you found to be the best for wheels?

GSKR
05-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Forum rules

StealthXJ
05-16-2016, 10:07 PM
I'll pm you.

Your PM box is full.

Fast Eddie
05-16-2016, 11:45 PM
Those wheels are jacked up and I see wheels like that all the time, especially at the restoration shop I work at. Your going to spend WAY more than 5 minutes per wheel getting them satisfactory and even then they won't be perfect. And many Zep products are straight up pro grade and better than many so called "professional" products you can buy on the internet. Zep citrus isn't my favorite, 505 is OK but the industrial purple is VERY strong. Zep carpet cleaners are some of the best I have used.

GSKR
05-17-2016, 06:00 AM
Zep industrial is strong but way to caustic.and if not careful on some parts of the car where paint is thin bye bye paint.also Presoaking damage and will remove painted stripes quickly.on some models the grill is flat textured un cleared paint that is usually grey and that product will etch the heck out of it.Thats a product you have to continually ask your self is it safe to use on different parts of the car especially on non clearcoated areas such as trunk jams gas cap filler and underneath to hood.also not to mention components under the hood,decals will be erased quickly.Bought that product many of times when I'm in a jam and it's definetly user precaution.

GSKR
05-17-2016, 06:05 AM
Those wheels are jacked up and I see wheels like that all the time, especially at the restoration shop I work at. Your going to spend WAY more than 5 minutes per wheel getting them satisfactory and even then they won't be perfect. And many Zep products are straight up pro grade and better than many so called "professional" products you can buy on the internet. Zep citrus isn't my favorite, 505 is OK but the industrial purple is VERY strong. Zep carpet cleaners are some of the best I have used.
5 min a wheel is defenetly doable with the right products,although I don't take wheels off but I get the wheel 98 percent clean from the face and into the barrels with no hand scrubbing at all.