PDA

View Full Version : Newb Questions Compound

TeeRific
05-16-2016, 11:13 AM
I have what seems to be light oxidation on a rear quarter panel. Not visible when looking at it but can feel it. It's like going from smooth clear coat to a paper feel. I used an orange pad with Wolfgang swirl remover but no luck. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of using M105 with the CSS yellow pad with a PC7424.

Zubair
05-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Have u tried claying first?

TeeRific
05-16-2016, 11:43 AM
yes, I did clay it first.

TTQ B4U
05-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Has that panel ever been repainted that you know of? Can you tell by looking at it if it has? Have you tried wet sanding any of that area with say 2000 grit?

TeeRific
05-16-2016, 12:07 PM
No repaint. Only the bumper cover has been replaced and painted, not the quarter panel.

TTQ B4U
05-16-2016, 01:04 PM
No repaint. Only the bumper cover has been replaced and painted, not the quarter panel.

bingo. overspray is my guess. shop likely painted the cover on the vehicle.

Use Meguiar's white clay not the yellow one. I'm sure other brands have various clay options too, I just know either white or yellow. Different ones will be labeled for their level/grade of use. Get one that covers overspray.

I always keep a little can of goof-off around too. Great for helping removed all kinds of stuff.

TeeRific
05-16-2016, 08:46 PM
That was it. I originally went over it with the nano skin and then a clay bar when the nanoskin had no effect. The clay bar didn't do anything after going over it a couple times. After your suggestion I pulled the clay bar back out and really worked a small section and it started getting smooth again. I really had to work it. I'll see if the goof-off helps things when I go back at it tomorrow.

I would think the swirl remover and orange pad would have removed it???

Thanks for the help.

TTQ B4U
05-16-2016, 09:27 PM
That was it. I originally went over it with the nano skin and then a clay bar when the nanoskin had no effect. The clay bar didn't do anything after going over it a couple times. After your suggestion I pulled the clay bar back out and really worked a small section and it started getting smooth again. I really had to work it. I'll see if the goof-off helps things when I go back at it tomorrow.

I would think the swirl remover and orange pad would have removed it???

Thanks for the help.

Glad it worked out!

Overspray can be tough. Especially if the car isn't freshly coated. Paint tends to really bond good thus the polymer clay compound is really needed. Mike has a video that shows how tough it can be.

Just wipe what little remains with some goof off and then clay again if needed. Finish it with a nice polish and you're done.

Crispy
05-30-2016, 09:06 PM
I use lacquer thinner as first step on fresh overspray. I spray on paper shop towel and brush off until it feels smooth. Caution do not use on fresh paint as it will etch to the point of needing resanding. I then clay and apply Ultimate Compound by hand.