PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication for rupes??

ulrads1
05-15-2016, 12:39 PM
I recently purchased a rupes 21es. According to the owner it was only used 3 times ever, I'm guessing he meant 3 times a day. I spent a day or so trying to clean it. I used degreaser on the cord, and tried to remove any rust I found. My question is, I've read that there should be some grease added to this machine around the shroud? I am not sure where the grease would go, I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. Also, what kind of grease? Thanks in advance

http://s32.postimg.org/jn4261lwx/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/jn4261lwx/)

VT675
05-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Wow that looks worse than my Flex after years and years of daily abuse.

idriveblackcars
05-15-2016, 01:11 PM
When I owned a flex I used air tool lubricant. Not sure but I bet you could use it for the Rupes. Mine is pretty new and is greased down pretty good but I would put an extremely light coat on the ring around the counter weight.

Dylan@RUPES
05-15-2016, 01:14 PM
The backing plate contact with the shroud should be lubricated with dielectric grease, but you can substitute vasoline if needed in a pinch. Just run a light coating of it on the edge of the shroud, then when you attach the backing plate manually rotate it a few times to spread it out and you're good.

dlc95
05-15-2016, 01:17 PM
You want to use dielectric grease.

1. Remove backing plate.
2. Take a very small dab of grease, and spread it along the edge of the shroud.
3. Reinstall plate.
4. Operate machine to spread grease before installing pad/using on vehicle.

In the event there is too much, you'll see it build up around the outside of the shroud, on the plate. I wipe it off with paper towel. Should be good to go after that.

dlc95
05-15-2016, 01:19 PM
The backing plate contact with the shroud should be lubricated with dielectric grease, but you can substitute vasoline if needed in a pinch. Just run a light coating of it on the edge of the shroud, then when you attach the backing plate manually rotate it a few times to spread it out and you're good.

Sorry Dylan,

I must have been formulating my response when you posted yours.

idriveblackcars
05-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Great info! Do you guys think a new machine will need this? I assume it's more maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlc95
05-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Great info! Do you guys think a new machine will need this? I assume it's more maintenance

I believe they are lubricated at the factory. My first Duetto was gently used, and worked beautifully until I cleaned it.

The shroud eventually chewed itself away, and I was left with a free spinning plate.

Once I found out it was supposed to be lubed, I got a new shroud, and tube of grease! Runs like a dream - no washer.

idriveblackcars
05-15-2016, 01:31 PM
I believe they are lubricated at the factory. My first Duetto was gently used, and worked beautifully until I cleaned it.

The shroud eventually chewed itself away, and I was left with a free spinning plate.

Once I found out it was supposed to be lubed, I got a new shroud, and tube of grease! Runs like a dream - no washer.

Nice, I do have a washer in mine and the machine is pretty well greased(only 2 months old). I wish I could use mine more but I ran out of cars to polish lol. I don't do it for a living just my cars and family and friends so my machines don't get too much usage.

Thanks for the info!

ulrads1
05-15-2016, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will run to the parts store to find the grease. It definitely was not in like new condition but I'm glad it works fine. I tested it using the only oversized pad I had, cleared swirls effortlessly compared to my PC. It just wasn't too pretty. I ordered some 7" rupes pads to see what this bad boy can really do.

Dylan@RUPES
05-15-2016, 02:08 PM

The shroud is lubricated from the factory, but it will require refreshing occasionally. Its a regular maintenance item, same as blowing out the housing to remove compound dust.

donbeezy
05-15-2016, 02:17 PM
The shroud is lubricated from the factory, but it will require refreshing occasionally. Its a regular maintenance item, same as blowing out the housing to remove compound dust.

good info. what else should be done for regular maintenance? I really should RTM

dlc95
05-15-2016, 07:09 PM
Nice, I do have a washer in mine and the machine is pretty well greased(only 2 months old). I wish I could use mine more but I ran out of cars to polish lol. I don't do it for a living just my cars and family and friends so my machines don't get too much usage.

Thanks for the info!

If you already have a washer installed separating the shroud from the plate, greasing the shroud is of no advantage.

Mike Phillips
04-17-2019, 02:09 PM
For everyone that will click on and read this thread into the future....

How to lubricate the shroud on long stroke polishers (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/122545-how-lubricate-shroud-long-stroke-polishers.html)

:)