PDA

View Full Version : Regret Buying UDM

Catman
10-15-2007, 10:28 AM
I recently bought the UDM (and Menzerna kit) ...I must say that I'm quite unhappy with the UDM. The first thing I noticed when I removed it from the box is that it was not nearly as ergonomically friendly as the PC. I had used a PC on a couple of occasions but had never had 'hands on' with the UDM, but took everyones advice as it being a 'better' machine. The other issue I had was when I tried to put the handle in the left side hole, it would not go in. Apparently quality control is a little loose ...the hole in the plastic cover was not lined up with the hole in the metal housing ...I had to take my Dremel to make the hole a little longer. Now I'm worried about other (hidden) QC issues. I now realize that I should have bought the PC since I have had excellent results with PC tools over the past several years. I used the UDM on Sun and it did an acceptable job.

Am I being too anal?

thanks,

>^..^<

budman3
10-15-2007, 10:42 AM
The PC and UDM are very similar. The UDM is barely thicker than the PC so I'm not sure what you mean in that aspect. It'd be hard to distinguish a PC and UDM if someone handed me one with my eyes closed. I do believe that the UDM was rushed to the market and I can only assume that it'll only get better with time ... kind of like buying a new model year of a car - there will be problems that need to be worked out.

Since it doesn't seem like you've used the machine a lot, give it a few more chances. Keep an open mind and even then if it still doesn't work, I'm sure someone would be interested in trading the UDM for a PC or something along those lines.

P1et
10-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I have never used a UDM, so I cannot make a direct comparison, but personally, I would trust a well-established tool company like Porter Cable versus a company that just made their first tool.

Catman
10-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. My impression of the UDM is something I would expect from Harbor Freight ...overall it just feels / looks 'cheap'. Being a musician, I am sensitive to fit / finish / feel and appreciate (expect) a quality tool / instrument. As budman3 said ...I only have around 4 hours with it yesterday. I have some waxing to do today ...I'll see how it does. It is likely to find its way to Ebay. I think one thing I don't like is the 'oval' shape versus the round shape of the PC.

>^..^<

Mike T
10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Did you try contacting AG or speaking to Meghan about these issues? I'm happy with my UDM.

dontsleeponit
10-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I have a UDM, but have never used a porter cable for comparison. I had the same problem with the handle, but it didnt matter to me because I took the handle off all together and cant see any reason for me to put it back on. If you haven't done so already, contact meghan about the updated on off switch, its tighter and lower profile then the original.

So far im happy with its performance and ease of use. As far as it being compared to a tool from harbor freight, im going to have disagree with that big time. Ive used plenty of power tools from that place, and the UDM is miles ahead of anything they've got, bottom line.

I too was worried about buying a tool made by a brand new company, but from everyones reviews and the with the way AG stands behind what they sell, I went for the UDM. Besides, from what I have heard about the company porter cable these days, their products are not being made in the same factories anymore and the quality has gone down hill. Again I dont know if that appl;ies to the 7424 or not, just what I heard from a number of people that know better then me.

Pats300zx
10-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I recently bought the UDM (and Menzerna kit) ...I must say that I'm quite unhappy with the UDM. The first thing I noticed when I removed it from the box is that it was not nearly as ergonomically friendly as the PC. I had used a PC on a couple of occasions but had never had 'hands on' with the UDM, but took everyones advice as it being a 'better' machine. The other issue I had was when I tried to put the handle in the left side hole, it would not go in. Apparently quality control is a little loose ...the hole in the plastic cover was not lined up with the hole in the metal housing ...I had to take my Dremel to make the hole a little longer. Now I'm worried about other (hidden) QC issues. I now realize that I should have bought the PC since I have had excellent results with PC tools over the past several years. I used the UDM on Sun and it did an acceptable job.

Am I being too anal?

thanks,

>^..^<

I totally disagree with your review of the UDM. I have been using the UDM since it first came out. I even got a chance to use the prototype version. To me its steps ahead of the PC. Its more powerful and vibrates alot less.

As far as quality control goes to compare it to HF is very unfair. I have had nothing but great service. I have used it on a ton of details and it has held up exceptionally well. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

wytstang
10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Besides the darn off/on switch I'm very happy with my UDM. I like being apply to apply pressure with out bogging down the motor (I'm heavy handed). Also I've heard about the miss aligned hole for the handle and tried mine and it fit just fine. Maybe it's hit of miss o that one, I don't use the handle to begin with so if it didn't no big deal.

Old Pirate
10-15-2007, 02:07 PM
The only problem i had was the on/off switch, which is now fix, so far i haven't had any problems.................:cheers:

blkexcoupe
10-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I had issues with the on/off switch and the casing, but when I changed out the switch I corrected the casing misalignment too. I've used both the PC and UDM, both are very similar, but when it comes to full speed polishing the UDM is a lot faster.

trlblazer3
10-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I think the form/fit/finish to be almost identical on both machines. I've yet to encounter a single problem/issue with my UDM. I wouldn't even begin to compare the UDM to Harbor Freight, I don't think that's fair to the UDM. Performance-wise I find the UDM to be much better when compared to the PC. I would contact AG if you have any issues, they might be able to do something for you.

Pats300zx
10-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Besides the darn off/on switch I'm very happy with my UDM. I like being apply to apply pressure with out bogging down the motor (I'm heavy handed). Also I've heard about the miss aligned hole for the handle and tried mine and it fit just fine. Maybe it's hit of miss o that one, I don't use the handle to begin with so if it didn't no big deal.

Just contact them and they will ship you out a new replacement switch. I got mine in like 2 days. I installed mine in under a minute. It totally corrected the problem.

Catman
10-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have not talked to Meghan ...I just chalk this up to experience. I realize now that I should have bought a 'name brand' tool. I am pickier than most when it comes to things like this. I still stand by my comparison to Harbor Freight ...I paid MORE for the UDM ...and got Harbor Freight quality. If the UDM had been priced at half the price of the PC I would not question anything. It looks like the handle issue has been known ...but nothing has been done to correct the situation. I don't know if my switch needs replacing ...I do know that it was annoying to operate.

>^..^<

pt91
10-15-2007, 08:42 PM
I sold my pc and used the cash to buy the udm. don't regret it a bit. upgraded the on/off switch and it works nicely. the plastic upper casing slides up if it is not snapped in place so maybe that was the issue with the hole alignment. I believe that the udm is a modified pc so you basically have a hot rod pc. you could easily trade the udm for a pc on forums that allow trades.

wytstang
10-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Just contact them and they will ship you out a new replacement switch. I got mine in like 2 days. I installed mine in under a minute. It totally corrected the problem.
Thanks I found it on there website and should have one here by the end of the week. I've been putting it off since I haven't used it much but now I am and ate some SIP. I NEED it now lol.