PDA

View Full Version : Mark II Washer Mod Where To Get?

Pages : [1] 2

VT675
05-14-2016, 04:22 PM
I've had my Rupes 21 MK II for a while now, was it supposed to come with a washer like the G21?

I didn't see one in the box, if not where can I pick one up from?

Thanks

ski2
05-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Rupes does not supply or recommend the use of the washer mod. I believe you need an 8mm washer if you really need it. Kevin Brown has a video on how to make your own for the Mark 1. Try Google.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2016, 05:21 PM
M8 washer will do the trick.

VT675
05-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Yeah I know Rupes' stance on it and I think it's silly. I've been using the Flex for 5 years now and thought giving the Mark II 21 a try. So far, I'm not really impressed. The Flex corrects better but I'm not fatigued after 10-20 hour detail using the Rupes. I had hoped by using the washer mod I can bring it closer to Flex correcting level, without the fatigue incorporated using the Flex.

VT675
05-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Sweet, M8 washer, any modifications required to it? Thanks.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2016, 05:57 PM
Sweet, M8 washer, any modifications required to it? Thanks.
No mods needed.

custmsprty
05-14-2016, 06:13 PM
No mods needed.

:iagree: Yeah, what's the point?

How much power is enough? Might as well go with a rotary.

Not too mention the more aggressively you grind away the more clear or paint you remove. Least is better IMHO.

Dylan@RUPES
05-15-2016, 09:49 AM
The first question that comes to mind is "WHY?"

The only reason anyone ever needed a washer mod was to maintain pad rotation in areas where it would otherwise stall and they couldn't compensate with technique. Have you found that you're experiencing pad stall with the Mark II? If so what speed? We recommend running the tool at speed 3-4 and that gives you 2-3 increased speeds to compensate for stall should you encounter it.

Also worth mentioning in regards to those saying "M8 washer" - we've had a rash of tools being returned for repairs because users have imbalanced backing plates, severe wobble, or simply cannot get the plate off of the tool. When they arrive in most of these cases it turns out the user has placed an UNMODIFIED ROUND WASHER on the tool. The actual washer mod developed by Kevin Brown is a washer that has been cut down to match the pin and fit into the recess on the stock backing plate, not just a simple M8 washer.

Note the shape of the recess in the backing plate:
http://product-images.highwire.com/11455484/980027n-lhr12e-rupes-backing-plate-velcro.jpg

usmcpab
05-15-2016, 10:10 AM
I never had any problems with my 21 mkii. Whenever I noticed the pad begin to stall on a curve Id adjust the angle at which i approached a curve and the pad would maintain its rotation. Just takes some practice on technique.

Marc08EX
05-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Whenever I noticed the pad begin to stall on a curve Id adjust the angle at which i approached a curve and the pad would maintain its rotation. Just takes some practice on technique.

I totally agree on this. Technique adjustment is all that's needed to avoid pad stalling. Of course this won't work for very aggressive curves... The mini 75E or other 3" setups will be needed for that. Even if the Mk II can power through panels aggressive curves, I honestly don't think it will be doing much polishing since the pad won't make full contact anyway... I mentioned all these in my Rupes vs Boss polisher review too.

VT675
05-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Dylan, I've been using the 21 on flat or slightly curved panels and I have the Flex setup for deep curves. I use speed 3-4, sometimes 5 but I find with 5 I get a lot of dusting and the polishing oils evaporate quicker from the heat.

Since getting the Rupes, a normal two step or multi-step paint correction has turned into 1/4 - 1/2 additional steps in order to get the correction I'm looking for over the Flex VRG. I feel that if I was able to put down a smidge more pressure on the 21, I could fill that very small correctional gap because right now, if I apply pressure on the 21 it does bog down very slightly.

I've already decided 110% on the washer mod. Just need to know where to get it now.

idriveblackcars
05-15-2016, 05:45 PM
Kevin just hooked me up with one a while back with one of my orders
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160515/e2560a6a208a703e9ed4033626fff419.jpg

I don't use it all the time but when I do the machine does appear to feel smoother but the panel doesn't get any warmer.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-15-2016, 06:13 PM
When you get used to forced rotation, you become spoiled. Most who don't like the 3401 don't deny its performance, but the way it fights you when polishing. MUCH more energy needed for sure, but, it's well worth it to me. It really comes down to user preference.

VISITOR
05-15-2016, 08:32 PM
When you get used to forced rotation, you become spoiled. Most who don't like the 3401 don't deny its performance, but the way it fights you when polishing. MUCH more energy needed for sure, but, it's well worth it to me. It really comes down to user preference.

:iagree:

Methodical
05-29-2016, 05:36 PM
The first question that comes to mind is "WHY?"

The only reason anyone ever needed a washer mod was to maintain pad rotation in areas where it would otherwise stall and they couldn't compensate with technique. Have you found that you're experiencing pad stall with the Mark II? If so what speed? We recommend running the tool at speed 3-4 and that gives you 2-3 increased speeds to compensate for stall should you encounter it.

Also worth mentioning in regards to those saying "M8 washer" - we've had a rash of tools being returned for repairs because users have imbalanced backing plates, severe wobble, or simply cannot get the plate off of the tool. When they arrive in most of these cases it turns out the user has placed an UNMODIFIED ROUND WASHER on the tool. The actual washer mod developed by Kevin Brown is a washer that has been cut down to match the pin and fit into the recess on the stock backing plate, not just a simple M8 washer.

Note the shape of the recess in the backing plate:
http://product-images.highwire.com/11455484/980027n-lhr12e-rupes-backing-plate-velcro.jpg

Are you saying they literally just stuck a round washer between the backing plate and the machine (that's what it looks like in the photo)? If so, wow. Maybe there needs to be a sticky on the washer mod to help prevent others from mistakenly ruining their machines.

How did they take it when you told them, sorry, but you ruined the machine?