PDA

View Full Version : Tree sap AND bird doody damage

Steelghost
05-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Hey folks. So here's the story. I bought a 2013 Outback about 6 months ago. To my dismay, when I took it home what I though was just surface dirt and a couples poos on the hood was etched in tree sap and bird poo damage. Check out the pics. I have a Porter Cable DA buffer. I have orange and white lake country pads. I've used a clay bar and some light polish which knocked a lot of it down a bit but a lot of this stuff is really into the clear. I know that I'm not going to be about to get all this stuff out but I want to see what the BEST I can do myself looks like before I got in to get the hood resprayed and cleared. fortunately most of this is only on the hood.

What kind of compound to you guys recommend that is really aggressive that works well with a DA?

what do you think about wet sanding?

Is there a product that can fill some of the pitting? I noticed after polishing and waxing the residue sits in the voids and makes the issue more noticeable. Thanks in advanced guys!

Steelghost
05-14-2016, 03:14 PM
higher resolution pics

shagnat
05-28-2016, 12:05 AM
Ouch! Looks like Meguiar's 105 or Mezerna 400 with an orange pad.

Setec Astronomy
05-28-2016, 06:18 AM
Unfortunately really bad etches like that go thru the clear and the base down to the primer, and there's not much you can do. Filling the pitting...I suppose you could try a coating, you would need to get it really clean, tape off the rest, and try a few coats of coating, allowing a bunch of time to harden in between. Or clear touchup really thinned down--just be aware that single component clear touchup paint usually yellows over time, although you wouldn't see it on that color. Just spitballing.