PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Advice

Pages : [1] 2 3

jforget1
06-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Looking to start doing some work on the side and was wondering if some of you guys/gals could take a look at the packages I am looking at starting with and let me know if this seems like appropriate pricing.

Wash and Vacuum
This package is designed as a maintenance regimen after waxing.

·Wash and hand dry
·Bug and tar removal
·Exterior trim and tires cleaned and shined
·interior and exterior glass cleaned
·interior carpet and seats vacuumed,
·interior vinyl and leather wiped down. Compact Cars and Pickups $40
Large Cars, Pickups and Small SUV's $50
Mini-Vans, Full Size trucks, and Large SUV's $60
Express Detail
Included: Everything from the Wash and Vacuum Package, plus the following
Hand applied Quick detail spray on exterior
Rain-x applied to all exterior glass
Vacuum of carpets, floor mats and upholstery
Leather and vinyl is wiped free of dust and debris and protectant
Recommended on a monthly basis.Compact Cars and Pickups $65
Large Cars, Pickups and Small SUV's $85
Mini-Vans, Full Size trucks, and Large SUV's $105
Premium Detail

·Everything from all previous packages, plus the following:
Clay bar contaminant removal for entire exterior
·Exterior is machine polished with a pre-wax cleaner to remove contaminants
·Exterior is machine polished to removed swirl marks and scratches
·Exterior is machine polished shine using high quality finishing glaze
·Machine applied protective sealant or a long lasting carnauba wax, depending on the color of the paint, or personal preference.
·The interior carpet, floor mats and upholstery are vacuumed and cleaned
·The interior carpet, floor mats and upholstery are shampooed and scrubbed
·Vinyl is protected with a matte finish UV protectant.
Compact Cars and Pickups $125Large Cars, Pickups and Small SUV's $150
Mini-Vans, Full Size trucks, and Large SUV's $200

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 11:27 AM
package 1
interior carpet and seats vacuumed,
The interior carpet, floor mats and upholstery are vacuumed and cleaned

This may cause some confusion to the customer. To them it all may seem like the same step, but you say it is in addition to the other packages. I think that your prices are fairly good, but your last package could be too low. Have you done the #3 package before? How long did it take you. That should take around 6-7 hours depending on how the condition of the car is. I think you could be charging a little more there.

jforget1
06-25-2006, 11:35 AM
package 1
interior carpet and seats vacuumed,
The interior carpet, floor mats and upholstery are vacuumed and cleaned

This may cause some confusion to the customer. To them it all may seem like the same step, but you say it is in addition to the other packages. I think that your prices are fairly good, but your last package could be too low. Have you done the #3 package before? How long did it take you. That should take around 6-7 hours depending on how the condition of the car is. I think you could be charging a little more there.

I will take a look and fine tune the text. This is really a first draft. I have not done 3 before but you may be right, maybe I will bump that up. Thanks for the advice.

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 12:15 PM
It all depends on your clients too. If you work in an affluent neighborhood, you can charge a little more. If you work in a neighborhood where an accord is a "nice" car and reserved for the richest people, you may have to adjust your prices. Practice practice practice. Also, think about how much you want to make an hour. If you want to make 20 an hour, and you figure package 1 will take 2 hours, then 40 bucks.

jforget1
06-25-2006, 12:29 PM
It all depends on your clients too. If you work in an affluent neighborhood, you can charge a little more. If you work in a neighborhood where an accord is a "nice" car and reserved for the richest people, you may have to adjust your prices. Practice practice practice. Also, think about how much you want to make an hour. If you want to make 20 an hour, and you figure package 1 will take 2 hours, then 40 bucks.

Again thanks for the tips, it is all helpful. I really think this is going to be a fun venture.

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 12:39 PM
No problem. Just ask if you have questions. Everyone here is more than willing to offer our advice and all it takes is the courage to ask.

Kelso
06-25-2006, 12:46 PM
i would invest in some wax that you could use as an "express" wax . a lot of people probably wont think they need all the clay and polish and just want a coat of wax on. so either that, or you better be a damn good salesman.

i would also put together a premium interior detail and a seperate exterior detail. also i would create a price list of basically every single thing you could offer. prices should vary on condition of the vehicle slightly. claying a cay every six months will be easy. claying one that has never been done, and was last waxed 5 years ago, is not. they really shouldnt be getting hte exact same price in my mind. its a lot more work.

jforget1
06-25-2006, 12:49 PM
I already have my list with a number of additional items I could do and I have them listed as starting at, but I like the idea of having just the interior and exterior packages.

Thanks for the tips,

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 12:49 PM
When I first got into detailing, I clayed my car, and it wasn't that bad. Car had never been clayed to my knowledge, and no wax in who knows how long. It may be different in different areas of the country, I don't know. Most people think that it is the wax that makes their car look good. Really, I would say it is 90% prep work (polish and such) and 10% wax. If you are a good enough salesman, you can sell them your prep work, but if you aren't just slap on some wax and make them happy. The goal is to go above and beyond with your work, but I think the best way to do that is with polishing and making it look close to perfect.

jforget1
06-25-2006, 12:52 PM
When I first got into detailing, I clayed my car, and it wasn't that bad. Car had never been clayed to my knowledge, and no wax in who knows how long. It may be different in different areas of the country, I don't know. Most people think that it is the wax that makes their car look good. Really, I would say it is 90% prep work (polish and such) and 10% wax. If you are a good enough salesman, you can sell them your prep work, but if you aren't just slap on some wax and make them happy. The goal is to go above and beyond with your work, but I think the best way to do that is with polishing and making it look close to perfect.

What do you think would make good detailing packages to offer at least for the wax/paolishing type steps?

jforget1
06-25-2006, 12:55 PM
I have this on my sheet 3-Step Paint Restoration - swirl removal, polish and protect. Makes the paint look like new.

Maybe I make the 3 package just have a pre-wax and a wax coat and if someone want the glaze level using the option above, which is starting at $75 on top of the package.

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Well your #3 package is a good one. That is likely to be your "Ultra", "Luxury", "Premium" package. You won't do many jobs that are more time intensive than that. Basically, you are completely redoing their car. Wash, clay, polish, protect. Are you looking for products to use or just what steps to do?

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 12:57 PM
I have this on my sheet 3-Step Paint Restoration - swirl removal, polish and protect. Makes the paint look like new.

Maybe I make the 3 package just have a pre-wax and a wax coat and if someone want the glaze level using the option above, which is starting at $75 on top of the package.

?? I don't know what you mean by glaze level. If you can sell glaze for 75 dollars, you are a VERY good businessman!!

Kelso
06-25-2006, 12:57 PM
some people just wont be sold to though. and its their loss completely. generally do a "test spot" and get them involved. make them run their hand across it and they will be like omg do the rest. plus if you do it in a noticable area, they will have to see that really nice lookng area all the time, and then the rest of it is only meh

my 1995 bmw looked good when i bought it so it had been waxed quite a bit during its lifetime but i dont think it was ever clayed. it took me a very very long time.

on my next order i am definately getting this:
http://www.autogeek.net/paintwork-clay-pad-applicator.html

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Would be good to save time. I don't know, something about claying, I just like to do it by hand. I could never imagine doing it with a PC. You have to feel when you can move on, and so on. Another time saver is to clay while washing, so you only have to dry the car once.