PDA

View Full Version : What's going on in this picture?

raheelc
05-13-2016, 11:34 PM
Hi Mike,

I hope you're doing well. I was recently taking a look under the hood of my 2010 range rover sport and noticed something unusual with the paint on the driver's side fender which isn't present on the passenger side. Was wondering if I could get your input as to what may be happening (or anyone else's opinions/expertise).

There are numerous lines running in the paint, its kind of hard to explain, the pictures will give a clearer idea of what's going on. These lines don't extend down onto the exterior paint of the fender, they abruptly stop at the curve of the fender, where it begins to slope downward. Here are some pics:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160514/1af1edab79edef5d1f38e5c38870cc0b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160514/17533a1f72dfa96dd6ac165f7508ef89.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160514/0d03d7bcf89f68c5f8e3292d8ce5c0b4.jpg

This is not present on the other side, and its not fragile/brittle/chipping off anywhere.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ViperGuy21
05-14-2016, 01:31 AM
I actually have this on my back bumper and assumed it was from a minor incident(backing into something at very low speed), but would like to see what other, more experienced, people have to say
only other thing I can think of is heat/over exposure to light/UV rays because before I got my car it sat everyday with the back end getting direct sunlight for ~10years

raheelc
05-14-2016, 01:51 AM
I actually have this on my back bumper and assumed it was from a minor incident(backing into something at very low speed), but would like to see what other, more experienced, people have to say
only other thing I can think of is heat/over exposure to light/UV rays because before I got my car it sat everyday with the back end getting direct sunlight for ~10years

Thanks for the response. As far as being from a minor incident, I don't think it has been in an accident, as the vehicle has a clean record, and is also a Certified Pre-owned vehicle from Land Rover (Pretty sure any vehicle that has been in an accident is automatically ineligible for CPO status. I could be wrong on this point though, and dealers are obviously known for shady practices sometimes).

Also, for the heat/UV light, not sure if that could have been the reason because when the hood is closed this part of the vehicle is covered by the hood, so it doesn't receive any direct light/sun. The vehicle is parked outdoors everyday though.

Crispy
07-23-2016, 03:33 PM
This is clearcoated cracking. The only option is repaint. The panel must have been repainted at some point. You can look it up on Google under paint defects cracking( sorry don't know how to link).

Matt@Revive
07-23-2016, 03:42 PM
The fender must have been repainted at some point. I was a Land Rover tech for 10 years and have never seen factory paint do this.

As far as the CPO inspection, the dealer only has Carfax to reference if the accident wasn't reported they have no way of knowing. The only way to know for sure would be with a paint depth guage.

2black1s
07-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Definitely cracks. That part of the fender has been repainted - factory paint doesn't do that. In the close-up pic it looks like you can actually see a tape line where the repaint was done. Looks like only the jamb portion of the fender was repainted. There's only one way to fix it and that is to strip the cracked finish and repaint it.

FUNX650
07-23-2016, 04:03 PM
•Looks like what I've heard called, over
the years, by these various names:
-Cracking; Checking; Crazing; Crow's Feet.

•The "Fix"?:
-Needs properly prepped;
and then re-sprayed.

Bob

GSKR
07-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Those inner fenders are dry misted clearcoat.That was a definite repaint.

GSKR
07-23-2016, 07:44 PM
•Looks like what I've heard called, over
the years, by these various names:
-Cracking; Checking; Crazing; Crow's Feet.

•The "Fix"?:
-Needs properly prepped;
and then re-sprayed.

Bob
Love the hi temp great stuff.

FUNX650
07-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Love the hi temp great stuff.
:dblthumb2:

Bob

Nth Degree
07-23-2016, 10:51 PM
As stated, it has been repainted at some point. A respray is the only fix. Since it is only on the top and covered by the hood when closed I would recommend just letting it be unless it really bothers you or starts to flake off.

raheelc
07-24-2016, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Glad to know what's actually going on. Yeah, I'll be leaving it alone for now since its only under the hood, and as long as it doesn't start to flake.

Any suggestions on how to prevent/delay it from flaking?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk