PDA

View Full Version : Episode 4 - The AMBR Award - Troy Ladd's 1932 Ford Roadster Pickup

Mike Phillips
05-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Episode 4 - The AMBR Award - Troy Ladd's 1932 Ford Roadster Pickup (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/competition-ready-velocity-channel/101371-episode-4-ambr-award-troy-ladds-1932-ford-roadster-pickup.html)

Tonight it's Troy Ladd's 1932 Ford Roadster being prepared for the Grand National Roadster Show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef5StsfBx-c

TV Schedule for Competition Ready

Fridays at 7:30pm Eastern Time
Saturdays at 2:00am Eastern Time
Sundays at 9:30am Eastern Time

:)

Jaretr1
05-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Wow, that hotrod was a rolling piece of artwork!

Its to bad so much time of the show is used for the scene with Bob getting the phone call and then the meeting in the motorcoach. That several minutes worth of valuable on air time could be summed up in a few lines in an intro such as "this week Mike and his crew are headed over to Troy Ladds show to help him get this custom hot rod ready for the Grand National Hot Rod show". Thats all the setup we need! That wasted time could be used more for the work on the car, covering the show the car is going to, and the results of how the car does.

Hopefully if there is a season 2, we will get more meat and less fluff. Mike is to good at what he does to not get featured more in the show. Just my opinion.

SATracker
05-14-2016, 11:28 AM
What I like about the beginning part in the motor coach was the discussion about the car itself- the different types of surfaces and how each had to be addressed differently, the point of Mike being called in- auction? SEMA? hot rod show- all needing a little different outcome. At the hot rod show & SEMA, every inch of the car is inspected by obsessive people. At the auction, not so much.
Reading the various posts by detailers on this detailing show, I'm curious if fabricators are as tough on similar car shows.
I'm not sure what the idea behind Competition Ready was/is (meaning, I wasn't there in the planning)- but facts don't necessarily inspire or motivate people, but stories do. I can watch a Youtube video for 10 minutes are watch a guy buff a panel on a car. The shows on Velocity and Discovery that seem to "work" (for me at least) are partly story driven. Dan Short, "If we have to choose between you and your car, we're not choosing you." -Great line. Richard Rawlings is a show unto himself, not a lot on fabrication. Restoration Garage, amazing work but not more story than "meat", Iron Resurrection tells a story of buying and selling parts- how a car or motorcycle is envisioned before it's built; Bitchin' Rides is very similar.
Just some thoughts-

ViperGuy21
05-14-2016, 06:44 PM
I don't think that the show should be very technical, or even geared toward us 'geeks. But it's just not a good show....there's so much fluff and useless time. The show is about detailing right? The detailing work that was talked about and done in episode four was taping off the wheels and some metal polishing by hand. The paint was seen being buffed a little if, but that's it, just seen. If I watch a cooking show, there's more than a few minutes of cooking in the show.

Mike Phillips
05-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Sunday show comes on in 10 minutes...

:)

thesilverone
05-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Way too much fluff. The first 10 minutes were fluff, so we're left with 20 minutes. Talked about the hot rod show twice and how clean the car has to be (isn't that the point of the show????) and showing other cars in the show took another 5 minutes. The drama from the close deadline, and after all that hard work the car gets loaded onto a flatbed???? In my opinion, the show doesn't really provide any knowledge.for the average car guy.

shagnat
05-15-2016, 10:22 PM
I was wondering if others felt the same as I, and it appears by these post they do. I'd like it to be much more technical and less of an "infomercial" about the headline product(s). Yes, the type of product and brand are essential, but, too much "infomercial" type show. Plus, why the pretty lady?! Enough of the gorgeous women in these shows.... we all know why they're there, yes, great eye candy, but, that's not why I want to watch the show.

If changes aren't forthcoming, then I'll not be watching. js