PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone wash dealer lots by themselves?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Real Riders
05-12-2016, 08:40 PM
I hand washed, dried, and wiped down the wheels on 49 cars, trucks, suv's, and mini vans last week in 3 to 4 hour shifts. I still have these left and more and then I get to start all over again. Does anyone else wash dealer lots by themselves?

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/RealRiders2006/IMG_62511_zpscdbiy7t1.jpg (http://s118.photobucket.com/user/RealRiders2006/media/IMG_62511_zpscdbiy7t1.jpg.html)

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/RealRiders2006/IMG_62521_zpsxwgncpnu.jpg (http://s118.photobucket.com/user/RealRiders2006/media/IMG_62521_zpsxwgncpnu.jpg.html)

Sharply Dressed
05-12-2016, 08:51 PM
I haven't but have thought about it. I am curious what you use and your process.

Real Riders
05-12-2016, 09:04 PM
I haven't but have thought about it. I am curious what you use and your process.

Most lot wash companies I have seen use a water tank and pressure wash the cars and dry with a chamois (no washing). I hand wash each car, wipe down the wheels, and dry the car with a Water Sprite chamois. I can wash 3 to 4 cars an hour. I spend at least 15 minutes on each vehicle and more time on the full size trucks. i use a 100ft Craftsman hose, and in the future I will be using a bend and spray nozzle which is the best for dealer cars

custmsprty
05-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Just curious, what do they pay you per car? Dealerships are notoriously cheap.

Real Riders
05-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Just curious, what do they pay you per car? Dealerships are notoriously cheap.

I charge $5 each for all vehicles -- Hand Wash -- Dry -- Quickly wipe down wheels

GSKR
05-12-2016, 09:20 PM
I've done it back in the 90's its mind boggling work.If you hit a home run with a dealer 3.00 a unit,1.50 to 2.00 is the norm.Even at 5.00 your killing yourself for a tiny profit.

Eldorado2k
05-12-2016, 09:31 PM
I hand wash each car, wipe down the wheels, and dry the car with a Water Sprite chamois.

The Water Sprite. The mark of a true detailer that puts in alot of work... I've been meaning to pick 1 up, because eventually trying to keep up a steady supply of ready to go waffle weaves can become unrealistic.
In your opinion, does the Water Sprite scratch?

custmsprty
05-12-2016, 09:40 PM
The Water Sprite. The mark of a true detailer that puts in alot of work... I've been meaning to pick 1 up, because eventually trying to keep up a steady supply of ready to go waffle weaves can become unrealistic.

Do dealerships care about scratches and swirls? I could tell you a story about what I observed a couple years ago when I was shopping at a dealership and three guys were "washing" the cars on the lot. But I'll stop there, as the sun glistening off of the swirls on hundreds of cars was blinding.

Real Riders
05-12-2016, 09:44 PM
I've done it back in the 90's its mind boggling work.If you hit a home run with a dealer 3.00 a unit,1.50 to 2.00 is the norm.Even at 5.00 your killing yourself for a tiny profit.

I agree. Even at $5.00 a car there is not much money to be made but there is steady work that never ends. It is grueling in the hot sun every day

Real Riders
05-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Do dealerships care about scratches and swirls? I could tell you a story about what I observed a couple years ago when I was shopping at a dealership and three guys were "washing" the cars on the lot. But I'll stop there, as the sun glistening off of the swirls on hundreds of cars was blinding.

The used cars are all scratched so the dealer is not too worried. I am careful with all cars when washing. I use two buckets with Grit Guards with a microfiber wash pad. I also dry with ONR in a spray bottle to give more lubricity while drying

Real Riders
05-12-2016, 09:49 PM

I dried around 15 to 20 new cars this week with a Water Sprite with no problems. To avoid problems I spray the cars with ONR in a pump sprayer while drying to give more lubricity.

GSKR
05-12-2016, 09:58 PM
In your opinion, does the Water Sprite scratch?no it doesn't scratch.

Eldorado2k
05-12-2016, 10:04 PM

It's not just dealership cars that get dryed with Water Sprites... You could tell me about that time at the dealership, but I could tell you about a very well known detailer I had the fortunate opportunity to work for in the recent past.. It's not polite to name drop, but lets just say Mike Phillips knows him personally. Lol.
And what does he use as his drying towel? The Water Sprite:)

Funny thing happened once when I curiously asked about his choice in using it, [didn't matter if it was a Bentley or a Chevy. The Water Sprite was the drying towel after a full wash] He said, "there's always going to be a minimal amount of scraches induced while washing & drying a vehicle"... Did I fully agree with that statement? No. But who the heck was I next to him? Nobody, that's who. Lol. I was there to work [and learn], and learn I did... But ever since then I'm never surprised when I hear successful detailers mention the Water Sprite. Even AGO sells it:)

Real Riders
05-12-2016, 11:30 PM
It's not just dealership cars that get dryed with Water Sprites... You could tell me about that time at the dealership, but I could tell you about a very well known detailer I had the fortunate opportunity to work for in the recent past.. It's not polite to name drop, but lets just say Mike Phillips knows him personally. Lol.
And what does he use as his drying towel? The Water Sprite:)

Funny thing happened once when I curiously asked about his choice in using it, [didn't matter if it was a Bentley or a Chevy. The Water Sprite was the drying towel after a full wash] He said, "there's always going to be a minimal amount of scraches induced while washing & drying a vehicle"... Did I fully agree with that statement? No. But who the heck was I next to him? Nobody, that's who. Lol. I was there to work [and learn], and learn I did... But ever since then I'm never surprised when I hear successful detailers mention the Water Sprite. Even AGO sells it:)

I have dried thousands of cars with a Water Sprite over the years with no problems. I worked at a Chrysler Dealer for 20 years and we dried every car with a Water Sprite including the Plymouth Prowlers

GSKR
05-13-2016, 05:48 AM
The key to using water Sprite is keeping it clean.If not you will be dragging dirt residual all over the car and glass.I don't use it cause I have the habit of using it drying jambs which contaminate the water Sprite.using it out in the sun you can't fully dry a car with no spots,then you have to go over it with something else.I prefer towels one swipe and it's dry with no spots or streaks.But working in volume it's ideal washing at a car lot.