PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Ozium in a vette air cond system?

Pages : [1] 2

ltoman
10-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Folks!
I think this is one for fellow vette owners. Recently, when I start my car and first turn on the air, the smell coming out of the vents is moldy.

Mind you, the car is immaculate even if I have not posted here lately I am still OCD; I live in dry conditions and she stays in the garage.

I called the dealer. They told me to run the system with no on in the car and spray ozium into the front vent, where the air comes in from. I bought it, but I have yet to go out there and do it.

They say this is a common problem.
They said it must be because it is on recycle, but I hate recycle.

Any input here guys n gals?

thanks,
LT:buffing:

Jimmie
10-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi Lauren. Good to see you back. Next time that you talk to the dealer ask how to access your interior filters. Probably under a cover with a couple of screws. Clean or replace those when you do the Ozium.

ltoman
10-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Lauren. Good to see you back. Next time that you talk to the dealer ask how to access your interior filters. Probably under a cover with a couple of screws. Clean or replace those when you do the Ozium.

Hi Jimmie,
You are so cool. :-)

I sprayed it through the front like they told me to do, so we will see how she smells tomorrow. If not, you are very right - I will need to get under the hood.
You think, for the amounts these puppies cost they would not smell of mold.
I should not have to buy Ozium.
Toyota, where are my NEW SUPRAS??????!

Gratefully,
Lauren

YoMike
10-14-2007, 10:29 PM
When you use your AC, turn the AC off but leave the fan running {on high if possible} a mile or so before you know you'll be shutting down the car. This will dry out all the condensation on the coils and won't promote mold.

orngez
10-14-2007, 10:32 PM
yah...my honda had the same problem...so did my first 350z...its just one of those things that are almost impossible to engineer around...its just the nature of AC systems to build condensation which then can create mildew/mold....they say good practices are to turn the ac of a couple minutes before you stop driving...and cleaning out the air filters...and spraying mildew cleaner into the intake vent usually found in front of the windshield....

ltoman
10-14-2007, 10:35 PM
When you use your AC, turn the AC off but leave the fan running {on high if possible} a mile or so before you know you'll be shutting down the car. This will dry out all the condensation on the coils and won't promote mold.

Ah, thank you!

ltoman
10-14-2007, 10:36 PM
yah...my honda had the same problem...so did my first 350z...its just one of those things that are almost impossible to engineer around...its just the nature of AC systems to build condensation which then can create mildew/mold....they say good practices are to turn the ac of a couple minutes before you stop driving...and cleaning out the air filters...and spraying mildew cleaner into the intake vent usually found in front of the windshield....

I have never had this happen, nor has anyone in my family or my husban's. I am very surprised. My Hondas never did it....weird.
Thanks for the input!:righton:

YoMike
10-14-2007, 10:48 PM
When you no longer feel cool air coming out of the AC system than it's safe to say no condensation will form on the coils. It's the temp difference that cause the moisture.

budman3
10-14-2007, 10:49 PM
My GF had a very musty smell coming out of her vents in the Corolla. I located her cabin air filter (behind the glove box), put a new one in and now the smell is gone. The Ozium stuff would work if the smell is in the vents somewhere but it'll only mask the smell if it is indeed the filter. BTW there's only 35,000 miles on her car and the filter was gross.

orngez
10-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I have never had this happen, nor has anyone in my family or my husban's. I am very surprised. My Hondas never did it....weird.
Thanks for the input!:righton:

my brother had a honda at the same time as well and his was fine...my new 350z doesnt have the smell at all...just the luck of the draw i guess...my mom's 1988 volvo had it bad...always smelled like a bathroom at the beach

ltoman
10-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Ok, used Ozium as dealer instructed, and still stinks!!
What do I have to pull apart?

budman3
10-15-2007, 11:55 AM
I have no idea where the cabin air filter is on Vettes but it is probably behind or underneath the dash somewhere. It should be easily accessable ...

Jimmie
10-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I have no idea where the cabin air filter is on Vettes but it is probably behind or underneath the dash somewhere. It should be easily accessable ...

:iagree:. If there is a Chevy dealer nearby I'd drop into the parts dept. and inquire about the cost of a new filter (not expensive). Also ask how to access the old filter. He'll be able to get the info. on where it's located.

joe.p
10-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Lauren, have you looked at your owners manual ? ... or call the Chevy dealer as jimmie mention..the filters run $60.00 +..maybe twice that price from the dealer ...

ltoman
10-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Ok, I will tell hubby it is time to buy me a new one. Thanks guys. Car only has 6300 on it. LOL