PDA

View Full Version : Customer spilled lobster stew months ago, stench is awful!

Zee19
05-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Hey Mike, thanks for answering all these question I can't tell you how much this forum has helped. So the title says it all. A customer spilled milk, fish, and lobster meat in a car in december 2015. The smell is baked in to the carpet by now. They are paying me to get rid of the stench (it's awful). I shampooed the spot for about 3 hours using a bisell portable shampooer, foaming carpet/upholstery cleaner, and used a full bottle of Meguires odor elminator in it. The smell is obviously still there but about 75% of what it was. I suggested they do the same thing every week for about 2 months. Any suggestions on what else to do?? Thanks again.

Father87
05-11-2016, 10:40 AM
I'm of no help in this besides trying a odor smoke bomb thing? Just wanted to say one year I went to the Keys for lobster season, after separating the tails from the bodies we left the bodies in a bucket. The next day it was the most awful smell. I have thankfully forgotten the odor since but it stayed with me for a long time.

Zee19
05-11-2016, 10:46 AM
I was looking into a product called zeo trap that takes a couple weeks. Other than that it looks like vinegar and citrus based cleaners but I have no idea how they will effect the carpet

ScubaCougr
05-11-2016, 01:30 PM
The smell may have seeped into the padding or migrated throughout the vehicle. Try pulling up the carpet and cleaning (or better replacing) the pad in that area. Aerosol odor bomb or ozone generator may be needed.

Michael
Great Reflections Detailing
Vancouver WA

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Zee19
05-11-2016, 01:59 PM
I think pulling up the carpet is beyond my paygrade. Do you have a link or anymore information on ozone generation?

Rsurfer
05-11-2016, 02:23 PM
I think pulling up the carpet is beyond my paygrade. Do you have a link or anymore information on ozone generation?

That may also be beyond your pay grade. Try an enzyme that kills the bacteria rather then covering it up.

Zee19
05-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Such as?

Rsurfer
05-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Such as?
Sorry can't say, as AG does not sell the product. Try Google.

Zee19
05-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Sorry can't say, as AG does not sell the product. Try Google.
Oh, I didn't know AG monitored the forum for products they didn't push. Good to know though, thank you