PDA

View Full Version : The infamous power of bird poo

Pages : [1] 2

RangerDetails
05-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Yesterday I got off work and noticed this massive bird poo on my roof48083

Seriously, I don't know what that bird ate but it must have been quite a lunch. I removed it as soon as I got home. Now today I noticed that it left me another gift on my front bumper just below my headlight. Removed it right away. But the damage was already done. It ate through my clear coat. 48084

So yeah, it is very important to get rid of bird droping as soon as possible.

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Sometimes if you treat those with some baking soda paste, and some people also advocate an IPA wipe, and you let them outgas a little, you can get some of that stain/etch to come out. I'm talking mostly about the cloudy appearance, probably nothing is going to change in the pitted area.

GSKR
05-10-2016, 06:28 PM
My neighbor gets up like 4am to sprinkle bird food on the street and the bottom of my driveway.Bird crap everywhere.

jmsc
05-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Ranger:

which lsp did you have on your cc?

RangerDetails
05-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Ranger:

which lsp did you have on your cc?

I put some CG Jet seal and CG Butter wet wax but it was in October of last year. I didn't have time to clay and put it back this year yet so there is most likely nothing left.

RangerDetails
05-10-2016, 07:19 PM
My neighbor gets up like 4am to sprinkle bird food on the street and the bottom of my driveway.Bird crap everywhere.

Haha what was he thinking?

David Hayward
05-10-2016, 07:35 PM

Dude I feel your pain. My old neighbor used to dump a total of a 5 gallon bucket of seed in the front and back yard twice a day and our houses nearly touched. Pigeons everywhere hundreds of them at all times. Glad I don't live there anymore lol.

FUNX650
05-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Yep...Bird poo is powerful;
just the thought of birds...
is enough to drive me nuts:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5WFBppsP9C8

Bob

RangerDetails
05-10-2016, 09:47 PM
So there is no way to fix that clear coat right?

RangerDetails
05-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Could I just sand and polish or even just polish?

FUNX650
05-11-2016, 08:46 AM
So there is no way to fix that clear coat right?

Could I just sand and polish or even just polish?
You've already stated that the clear-coat (CC)
had been eaten away...removed, as it were.

And...
Since polishing/sanding will wind up
removing even more CC...IMO: not
a viable solution.

Instead: You'll need to "fill-in", what
the bird poo has removed.

Bob

Hoytman
05-11-2016, 09:30 AM
Bob,
Jim Morrison didn't have anything on that guy. LOL!!!

Folks, I know bird poo is powerful stuff, but I have a real hard time believing that bird poo left on for a 24 hour period is going to totally eat through anyone's clear coat unless is was compromised before hand. Stain the paint? Yes. Etch the paint? Likely. Eat through it? I doubt it.

I've seen poo stains left on for weeks that thoroughly etched the clear coat, yet didn't totally compromise it...as in burn through the clear.

I won't say it couldn't happen, but it's highly unlikely in my opinion.

RangerDetails
05-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Well I'm not saying that it ate completely through(was I?), I'm saying that it did leave a mark that I cannot remove. Which I find quite sad since I try to take good care of my not-fancy-at-all-car and it's not even a year old yet.

ski2
05-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Since I started using Finish Kare 1000p I don't even worry about bird poo--car sat two weeks this winter with bird droppings on it for (what looked like) at least a week at the airport. Washed right off with waterless wash---good as new--no etching at all.

kevincwelch
05-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Lots of LSP options, but since using nano coatings and toppers, bird poop has been no match for the coatings (when removed in a timely manner).