PDA

View Full Version : Rupes Mini- pushing too hard or defective

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DetailKitty
05-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Ok gang, I used my Rupes Mini for the first time over the weekend and I'm confused and disappointed.

It kept stopping the DA rotation... meaning it would just spin vs oscillate while I was using it. I don't feel like I was pressing on it too much. But if I put ANY pressure on it it would do this.

Thoughts?

RaskyR1
05-10-2016, 12:22 PM
It is definitely easier to stall then the 8mm tools with similar 3" pads. What pads were you using on it?

Mike@ShineStruck
05-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Yeah mine stalls pretty easy even on flat surface..inwas hoping it gave me same impression as my G21..but it didn't
I wish it had a turbo button.. For when it stalls, I just press/hold it to power through at max speed

I've been looking into getting a certain clone to compare
Or perhaps trade for a duetto and get kamikaze backingplate

David Hayward
05-10-2016, 12:40 PM
I noticed the same thing myself when i first used it. But I was used to my flex and pushing hard to correct. Then I realized this thing cuts like crazy without much pressure. I was able to use a 3 inch Meg's mf cutting pad on it to get 2200 wetsanding totally clear on a bumper and I barely had to apply pressure and it cleaned up the wetsanding in 4 section passes.

mbkite
05-10-2016, 01:04 PM
I am in the same boat my mini stall so much I gave up on it maybe this year I'll try again
Good to see David's post

David Hayward
05-10-2016, 01:25 PM
I wasn't happy with it till i gave it a run with the Meg's mf pads. It leaves a bit of haze with them that cleans up great with the rupes yellow pads. The blue rupes pads were good on flat areas and left a real nice finish. Only thing I dislike about the blue pads is that I dinged one on an emblem and once a small piece came off the pad was throwing little blue pieces all over.

dlc95
05-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Could be pressure, but it could also be the angle. Depending on the pad, these machines can be particular about technique. Once dialed in, it's well worth the time investment. Especially coming from PC type machines, even more when coming from a 3401, like Rasky was saying.

To qualify, that's my experience with Mr. Duetto. The Mini literally just showed up at the front door about a half hour ago. I'll be testing it tonight, and taking it on a job tomorrow morning. I'll let you know my take on it.

JeffM
05-10-2016, 03:40 PM
MY GG6 spins like a top with a 3" pad....weird a machine would be so under powered.

swanicyouth
05-10-2016, 04:47 PM
What pads and polishes are you using? The Rupes pads and polishes are a bit different than typical DA stuff. Menz polishes may be too gummy for this type of machine IME/ IMHO. I also notice sometimes until a pad goes a few buffing cycles - it doesn't spin that well.

The odd thing is (if I am reading your post correctly), is you say it spins - but doesn't oscillate??? Usually the problem is the pad won't spin - just jiggle.

Another thing that really helps is a single spray of a pad lube each time you add polish to the pad. More than 1 spray is too much, IMHO. I use Wolfgang - but any detailing spray prolly will work.

I also noticed my original Rupes 15 seem to "loosen up" after a while. After a bit of use - it spun better.

I don't own a Rupes Mini - but have used one before with Rupes pads and polishes - it seemed to spin quite well to me.

Kamakaz1961
05-10-2016, 04:49 PM
No offense to the Mini-DA's (Griot's and Flex Kompakt included from 1st hand experience), but it seems I am missing something here on probably my technique. I was somewhat disappointed on the Mini-DA's I have used. It's hard to teach an old dog a new trick. So to my amazement; I converted my PC7424XP to a 1" to 3" and 4" DA. I do not know what happened, however, it works very well with a smaller BP and Pads. It corrects smaller areas with ease. Since the PC is about the same size as the Kompakt it was just a ergonomically sound. I sold all my Mini-DA's and did not get the Rupes (which was next on my list) because the PC does so well with a smaller BP.

JeffM has the same experience with the GG6. My point being, if you have a PC or GG 6, try converting it to a smaller based DA and I am sure you will be pleased.

custmsprty
05-10-2016, 04:56 PM
I have both a GG6 and had a PC and tested both with 3" set up. The PC was way more stable. The GG6 is a rattle trap with a 3" bp and will vibrate your wrist to death in no time at all. When I tested those two I had my Mini, and I went right back to my Mini. I'd say the PC is good with the 3" BP. Me personally as I value my wrist and joints, I wouldn't do it on a GG6 and use it for 30-40 minutes straight and not expect major wrist pain the next day.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
05-10-2016, 05:47 PM
What pads are you using kitty ?

DetailKitty
05-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Thx for all the responses gang! I got ZERO notifications :mad:

Anyway...

This was the first time I used the machine... brand new out of the box. I used the yellow foam pad it came with, and I was using Menzerna FG400.
I'm sure my technique with it will need some fine tuning. I may do as some of you said and get some Meg pads for it to try out, but I just wanted to see what it did out of the box.

LOL- I'm quite sure I was applying too much pressure... my go-to machine is my Flex. Hell, I tried a GG Boss the same day and I stopped that thing several times as well. Apparently I'm an animal :laughing:

KMG
05-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Sorry I missed this past weekend, I had a car I was working on and was trying to get finished. You can't use the mini like you use your Flex. Even though this is a smaller tool, it still has a 12mm throw and will do quite a bit of correction with minimal pressure. I use my Mini a ton for things with both 3 and 4" pads. You will need to run it at a bit higher speed then you would with a bigger machine though. It takes awhile to get used to using large throw machines.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
05-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Thx for all the responses gang! I got ZERO notifications :mad:

Anyway...

This was the first time I used the machine... brand new out of the box. I used the yellow foam pad it came with, and I was using Menzerna FG400.
I'm sure my technique with it will need some fine tuning. I may do as some of you said and get some Meg pads for it to try out, but I just wanted to see what it did out of the box.

LOL- I'm quite sure I was applying too much pressure... my go-to machine is my Flex. Hell, I tried a GG Boss the same day and I stopped that thing several times as well. Apparently I'm an animal :laughing:

I know your a flex user, you do not have to apply that much pressure on a long throw orbital, it does the work for you.

You have to find the sweet spot with pressure and spinning, you have to realize

Flex 8mm

Mini 12mm is almost twice the orbit

Boss 21mm is almost 3x the orbit.

So its getting stuff done faster.

You dont have to apply as hard as pressure as you do the flex !