PDA

View Full Version : Rupes Mini- pushing too hard or defective

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

kevincwelch
05-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Monica-

I just got this a few months back during a special, and I haven't noticed too many problems with it on horizontal surfaces. Like the R15, I think it does suffer from stalling on vertical panels or very curvy structures.

Unlike you, I've marched up from GG to the Rupes to the Flex and then the Mini. You may be moving in the opposite: entrenched in the flex and moving to a more light weight instrument (that's probably why your bis and tris are bigger than mine!). I think you may be applying too much pressure. As you probably don't, I don't prime the pad and I use the Rupes polishes with the Rupes pads on the mini.

DetailKitty
05-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Thank you all again for the responses.... I'm gonna say I'm sure I was applying too much pressure. This was the first time I've used it, so there is gonna be a learning curve.
But I figured I'd ask on here to make sure it's me and not the machine :)

Dylan@RUPES
05-13-2016, 03:56 PM
Interesting feedback - please keep us posted on your progress with it as you log more time. I generally don't have an issue with pad stall on the mini. Little bugger hums at a pretty high speed so as long as you keep the pressure proportionally light for the pad size it keeps on rotating (except for in those areas where panel contour or lines prevent it). It requires very little downward pressure as do all of our polishers. Let the machine do the work, don't press down too hard.

rlmccarty2000
05-13-2016, 05:12 PM
I agree with using little downward pressure. I've never used Flex products, but I have 3 Rupes machines and they will correct fast using very little pressure. I FG400 with the Rupes yellow is a strange combo, but might work. Menz products don't work well with Rupes pads due to solvent issues. I would stick to Rupes polishes.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
05-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Interesting feedback - please keep us posted on your progress with it as you log more time. I generally don't have an issue with pad stall on the mini. Little bugger hums at a pretty high speed so as long as you keep the pressure proportionally light for the pad size it keeps on rotating (except for in those areas where panel contour or lines prevent it). It requires very little downward pressure as do all of our polishers. Let the machine do the work, don't press down too hard.

I used that little bugger today ! On a countoured jaguar hood. Man i love that thing!

dlc95
05-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Yep, probably pressure. I after buffing out two vehicles with the mini, and Duetto, no reasonable stalling issues with either. One was using Keramik with yellow foam, and the other with yellow microfiber.

Even when I used the 3401 I didn't apply much if any additional pressure to the machine. Same with the pc. I never got into the "15 lbs of pressure" thing. Reason being that I got better results letting the pad spin as freely as possible. The sweet spot for me was "just under free spin" on the PC, and "weight of the machine" on the 3401. I mimicked how I used to use the rotary with them.

That's how I knew the Rupes line was going to be a very natural transition for me, and it was. I couldn't be happier using their system.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-13-2016, 07:52 PM
One of the most overrated tools I've ever bought.

Mark II 21 is bad a** though!!!

Hoytman
05-13-2016, 08:09 PM
So then...

You're saying if a person's interested in a 3"DA that the Griot's 3" is the better option considering the extra money saved?

custmsprty
05-13-2016, 08:26 PM
Yep, probably pressure. I after buffing out two vehicles with the mini, and Duetto, no reasonable stalling issues with either. One was using Keramik with yellow foam, and the other with yellow microfiber.

Even when I used the 3401 I didn't apply much if any additional pressure to the machine. Same with the pc. I never got into the "15 lbs of pressure" thing. Reason being that I got better results letting the pad spin as freely as possible. The sweet spot for me was "just under free spin" on the PC, and "weight of the machine" on the 3401. I mimicked how I used to use the rotary with them.

That's how I knew the Rupes line was going to be a very natural transition for me, and it was. I couldn't be happier using their system.

Exactly! Let the machine do it's job. Pressure is highly overrated. Not too mention it finishes down much better with less pressure.

custmsprty
05-13-2016, 08:30 PM
One of the most overrated tools I've ever bought.

Mark II 21 is bad a** though!!!

This was polished and finished out with my Rupes Mini. I have to respectfully disagree. It's been well worth the investment for me.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/frontend_zpsohqjla4o.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/frontend_zpsohqjla4o.jpg.html)

rlmccarty2000
05-13-2016, 08:44 PM
Wrapt, could it be user error? The mini is a very good polisher. It is by far the best 3 inch polisher on the market and is much better than using a PC as a 3 inch polisher. You should sell your Rupes mini, there are many detailers who could put it to good use.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Wrapt, could it be user error? The mini is a very good polisher. It is by far the best 3 inch polisher on the market and is much better than using a PC as a 3 inch polisher. You should sell your Rupes mini, there are many detailers who could put it to good use.
Sold it a long time ago.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-13-2016, 08:51 PM
This was polished and finished out with my Rupes Mini. I have to respectfully disagree. It's been well worth the investment for me.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/frontend_zpsohqjla4o.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/frontend_zpsohqjla4o.jpg.html)
All good. Polishing complex concaves, curves or narrow areas and it will stall like a new stick driver. PE8 is a much better option.

custmsprty
05-13-2016, 08:53 PM
All good. Polishing complex concaves, curves or narrow areas and it will stall like a new stick driver. PE8 is a much better option.

I have not experienced any stalling issues with my Mini. I have a PE8 too and rarely reach for it, like never LOL. Too each their own.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-13-2016, 09:40 PM
I have not experienced any stalling issues with my Mini. I have a PE8 too and rarely reach for it, like never LOL. Too each their own.
I'm very used to forced rotation, so I'm probably more sensitive to stalling issues. I can adjust my technique, but I'd rather not. I end up reaching for my 3401 instead.