PDA

View Full Version : Collinite Insulator Wax vs. WGDGPS 3.0?

willowcat11
05-10-2016, 12:57 AM
There is just a TON of positive reviews out there for both of these products. Looks like they both have over 130 reviews here on Auto Geek.

For those who have the experience of using both of these products, I was wondering how they might compare up against each other.

What the pluses and minuses are for each, and why one would pick one over the other?

At this time, I am using WG 3.0 and haven't seen a single negative thing about it what-so-ever. But would like to hear other's experiences of using both products.

Thank you all, and have a great week!

Ray

glasslaker
05-10-2016, 06:44 AM
I've been using Collimate 845 for years with excellent results on my DD. I started using WGDGPS 3.0 a few weeks ago on my wife's black Tundra and I'm impressed with the initial results. The WG removes easier than the 845 and I haven't noticed any white residue on trim or seams like I get with the 845. However I feel the 845 beads water better. The beads are very tiny and tight with the 845 and larger, more spaced out with the WG. I don't know if that matters just an observation.

I'm curious which one lasts longer. Actually, considering the quality of both products perhaps 845 topped on WGDGPS 3.0 would be a good combination.

FUNX650
05-10-2016, 07:19 AM
IMO:
•They both are excellent products
in their own particular LSP category...
-WDGPS as a Finishing Sealant
-Collinite #845 as a Finishing Wax

Bob

brettS4
05-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Yeah, not much to say beyond either will be an excellent choice depending on your preferences. DGPS is probably a little brighter and wipes off easier. Collinite might have a slight edge in durability.

If you were going to layer the two, you'll need to do DGPS and then top with Collinite, tho. Always put sealant under wax. I kinda think of sealant like varnish. You can wax a varnished surface but you can't varnish a waxed surface.

SeanChav
05-10-2016, 08:47 AM
I was wondering with 845 if it would "degrade" or get compromised at a quicker then normal rate in a hot dry climate like Phoenix, AZ?....I been debating on slapping some on for my summer protection but not if it's gonna "melt" away after a month or two

BadgerRivFan
05-10-2016, 08:54 AM
I was wondering with 845 if it would "degrade" or get compromised at a quicker then normal rate in a hot dry climate like Phoenix, AZ?....I been debating on slapping some on for my summer protection but not if it's gonna "melt" away after a month or two

Not to thread jack... But if you're looking for summer protection for a "candy white" colored car in the valley of the sun, it would be tough to beat FK 1000P (IMHO).

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html)

The price point of FK 1000P would would be comparable to Collinite 845 as well. I've used all 3 (845, DGPS 3.0, and 1000P) and you can't go wrong with any of them!

glfnaz
05-10-2016, 09:36 AM
Hey Sean I have some 467 and 915 if you want to borrow a tin.

SeanChav
05-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Not to thread jack... But if you're looking for summer protection for a "candy white" colored car in the valley of the sun, it would be tough to beat FK 1000P (IMHO).

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html)

The price point of FK 1000P would would be comparable to Collinite 845 as well. I've used all 3 (845, DGPS 3.0, and 1000P) and you can't go wrong with any of them!

I'm sorry for kind of thread jacking also OP.

I actually had a tin of fk1000 but I recently sold it to a friend of mine cuz I had/have a slew of LSPs as it is, and I didn't want any to go to waste....plus I read some reviews of fk1000 staining trim....I actually have SPNS on it right now but just wanted to change things up a little....that and I like the aggressive beading that collinite gives.

Hey Sean I have some 467 and 915 if you want to borrow a tin.

Hey thx Brad, I might take u up on that offer....I'm gonna give the 845 a try and see how I like it personally.

Hope everything's good with u :)

4u2nvinmtl
05-10-2016, 11:03 AM
FK1000P does stain trim but why would you wax trim anyways?

VeloNYC
05-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Because, when my car came with 15% matte plastic trim applying 915 made it look uniform glossy.

SeanChav
05-10-2016, 11:21 AM
FK1000P does stain trim but why would you wax trim anyways?

I'm not looking to wax the trim, but if I happen to get some on it I don't want to have to worry about staining