PDA

View Full Version : waxing and glazing..

Pages : [1] 2 3

buddiiee
10-14-2007, 08:43 PM
I know this is a bone question but, can you glaze over wax? would that help whatsoever?

budman3
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Would it help what? Looks? Protection? Durability?

-Anything except for wax over a wax will not last at all and will just wash or evaporate off in no time. I doubt it'd look any better either.

richy
10-14-2007, 10:00 PM
You can apply a glaze like Danase's or ## WMF but they do not last at all. Only do that if you're going to show it or something.

Jimmie
10-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Guys have talked of using Megs#7 over wax at car shows. It will not last more than a day or two.

TOGWT
10-15-2007, 03:17 AM
a) Danase Wet Glaze is a pure gloss enhancer i.e. on-abrasive and with a low solvent content; it’s made with acrylic polymers that form a covalent bond to the paint surface, polymers also allow it to be topped with a wax or sealant without any bonding issues - http://
b)Zaino Clear Seal (Z-CS) is a polymer product that will bond to a wax or oil-based product, ZCS is just a clear glossy layer without much of a look of its own, but locks in the look underneath it, which makes it ideal to ‘seal’ a glaze type product - http://

buddiiee
10-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Yea, i wasnt talking about any more protection, just shine. I did a wax job about a month ago with a synthetic wax, and was lookin for a little more shine and swirl mark hider. was hoping maybe 3m's imperial hand glaze would make her look a touch shinier at the car show. I dont really want to wax again. the hand glaze is much easier to use than my wax, which ALWAYS swirls, and goes on uneven. so in your guys opinions, glaze is ok over wax? cool.

julian
10-18-2007, 12:34 AM
I think I'm on topic here...
I'm new to products and their usage, but I thought a glaze was used for restoring oils in the paint or clear coat after buffing with compounds.
My current project followed this process after compounding..
I used Meg's #80 then followed with Meg's #7 show glaze.
Then DG 105 w/o the DG 101 'cause I did not want to remove the glaze..
I then topped with Natty's Blue Wax over all.
I didn't think glaze over wax was applicable..(It's not what it was meant for)
I think over the wax, you would use more wax or a QD with wax for that show winner.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

ScottB
10-18-2007, 08:47 AM
A pure glaze is used after polishing or versus on a well maintained finish to provide some light fillers (hiding small swirls) and to amp up the wetness or gloss. These products have no protection and usually cannot handle the environment for more than a couple hours at best. Alot of show cars use them alone just prior to show knowing its gone.

You can use a wax over a pure glaze to protect and try and capture some of the additional wetness. Sealants cannot cure to these oils and become a mess. Also sealants like 105 that even have a light cleaner are likely to remove all efforts for glaze. So tread lightly. On most finishes with the proper steps, a glaze isnt really needed any longer. Consider wash --- clay --- polish --- protect.

Also as offered with so many new qd'er+ type products with additional gloss, spray wax, and other additives to mimic wetness, you might just wanna use those over fav wax or sealant.

Anthony Orosco
10-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I think I'm on topic here...
I'm new to products and their usage, but I thought a glaze was used for restoring oils in the paint or clear coat after buffing with compounds.
My current project followed this process after compounding..
I used Meg's #80 then followed with Meg's #7 show glaze.
Then DG 105 w/o the DG 101 'cause I did not want to remove the glaze..
I then topped with Natty's Blue Wax over all.
I didn't think glaze over wax was applicable..(It's not what it was meant for)
I think over the wax, you would use more wax or a QD with wax for that show winner.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

There are no oils to replace in paint. You can't "feed" paint nor can you nourish paint. That's a myth perpetuated by clever marketing back in the early Zymol days, and sadly it continues today.

In my personal opinion glazes are a waste and more trouble than help.

Clean and prep the paint then seal it. Proper paint prep is what gives you the shine, depth and gloss in paint.

Anthony

da1nonlychino
10-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Question... If i use XMT finishing glaze, can i use Poorboys EX-P to seal? or would it be a mess. I was going to try but since you're warning I'm reconsidering Feed back please

P1et
10-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Can you glaze over a wax? Absolutely.

P1et
10-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Question... If i use XMT finishing glaze, can i use Poorboys EX-P to seal? or would it be a mess. I was going to try but since you're warning I'm reconsidering Feed back please

You can use EX-P to seal. Looks good, just the most awful durability.

Anthony Orosco
10-18-2007, 12:05 PM
The reason I do not like or use a glaze is I find that the oils of most glazes float around on top of the paint thus making wax or sealers difficult to lay down properly.

Now I have not used ALL glazes but those that I have, like 3M hand glaze, #7, Menzerna, Hi-Temp and One Grand, have all given me grief so I personally do not like them or use them. I would just make sure your paint is properly polished and then seal it.

Now what some people do is polish, glaze, wait 24 hours before waxing over the glaze. They feel this allows the oils to evaporate so they do not have any issues when they wax. Does that work? I have no idea as I don't have the time to go through that process but you may want to try it.

One person told me they polish their car, then glaze it then wash it with DAWN to remove any excess oils then wax it. I then asked them if they glaze it again since the DAWN removed all the glaze? They just smiled and said...."Never thought of it that way"

Anthony

Junebug
10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
I have only used two glazes, XMT and Danase Wet Glaze (which Bob freely admits is ##) - I wasn't all that impressed with XMT, kinda thin and didn't do much. The Danase Wet Glaze, I tried two ways, first after polishing and before topping - kinda disappeared and I couldn't see the shine the glaze gave the paint after I applied a sealant. Then I waited a week, washed, waxed and applied the Glaze and damn! Thats the ticket, looks lasted a good 2 weeks and as easy as it was to use, I'll do it every month.

da1nonlychino
10-18-2007, 02:03 PM
You can use EX-P to seal. Looks good, just the most awful durability.

... awful durability, that's depressing. How long have you read it lasted or experienced?