PDA

View Full Version : 0000 grade steel wool to chrome up chrome badges & such?

mycarmycar28582
05-09-2016, 07:23 PM
I got some 0000 grade steel wool, and I used some on my exhaust but the results didn't come out mindblowing, they came out good but not mindblowing... I used some WD-40 (because I ain't got any other elbow grease) & rubbed all the carbon build up off with steel wool then I used metal polished on the dual exhausts but my results didn't come out like how other people's results do. What did I do wrong? And plus There are some chrome badges I want to touch up with steel wool but don't know how to EXACTLY do it, same goes with a chrome mustang horse, you know that little horse with the chrome housing around it you'd see on the grills of older mustangs... but anyway just in general, how should you go about touching up chrome with 0000 steel wool?

mycarmycar28582
05-09-2016, 07:48 PM
That's the mustang horse on the grill I was talking about... I didn't do anything to touch it up yet.

And those are the results I got from my flowmaster exhausts (ignore the dust and such, car was driven for a couple days after the detail)

LEDetailing
05-09-2016, 10:06 PM
I would be careful around the Mustang logo on the 90's-2000's mustangs. IIRC, That is just plastic coated with a chrome type film (no metal). The 0000 steel wool may permanently damage that plastic. I would use a medium/lighter cut polish on those type of emblems but not 0000 steel wool. I maybe totally wrong , just don't want to see you damage any part of your car.

Don M
05-09-2016, 11:28 PM
I would be careful around the Mustang logo on the 90's-2000's mustangs. IIRC, That is just plastic coated with a chrome type film (no metal). The 0000 steel wool may permanently damage that plastic. I would use a medium/lighter cut polish on those type of emblems but not 0000 steel wool. I maybe totally wrong , just don't want to see you damage any part of your car.

My old Suzuki had the same type of "chrome" on the grill and steel wool DID destroy it. I agree that he would be better off using a polish that also has a chemical cleaner aspect to it as well as abrasives to get the best results safely

Calendyr
05-10-2016, 05:06 AM
This is true for a lot of "chrome" on modern vehicles. The only thing I would use steel wool on is the exaust. Anything else you should stick to cleaning products and light polishes.