PDA

View Full Version : Doing paint correction on repainted panels

Rod73
05-09-2016, 02:54 PM
I am curious about the approach professional Detailers take when polishing car panels that are repainted. Generally you are getting healthier paint thickness numbers even though that can also mean thicker base coat. I've heard from some because their is so much more paint polish away and from others be more cautious. I am curious what the forum members thoughts are on this?

RaskyR1
05-09-2016, 05:16 PM
It's a crap shoot and will vary from shop to shop. I've seen replaced panels have noticeably lower readings then the OEM panels and Ive seen very hefty readings too. Unless it's a restored vehicle or show car I would expect the body shop to apply the least amount of paint/clear that is required to be UV stable and/or meet he manufacturers recommendations for film thickness. It's all about material $$$ so why would they apply more then they have to. A show car that is intended to be wet sanded and polish would be different.

Just my $.02

lawrenceSA
05-10-2016, 02:46 PM
I've got a BMW 'practice' bonnet in my garage that was repainted (and has subsequently been tortured with plenty of sanding and polishing) and I struck through the clear at 165µ in one dime sized section, which most would consider a 'healthy' thickness....so as always, the approach should be to use the least aggressive method possible to achieve the desired outcome.... always try leave as much paint on the car as possible.