PDA

View Full Version : Keeping trash out of microfiber from washer & dryer?

mrstop
05-09-2016, 02:26 PM
I try and take care to keep trash and debris out of my microfiber cloths. However, it seems that every time I wash I get bits of trash in my MF cloths. I'm assuming they are coming from the washer & dryer. Any recommendations (outside of a separate washer & dryer) to keep this from happening?

DetailKitty
05-09-2016, 02:45 PM
When you say "trash and debris" what are we talking here?

1. I'd say to make sure you are washing them in a separate load (this may be a "duh" statement but I have to say it).
2. Also make sure your lint trap is clean and check your washer for anything left behind. Sometimes I have hair from a "dog load" I do of towels, so I will run a rinse cycle before putting the net load in.
3. I inspect all my towels when they come out and make sure they are free from foreign objects.
Someone on here once said the use a lint roller on them.

mrstop
05-11-2016, 10:24 AM
The debris looks to be bits of leaves or small "splinters." I'm not sure exactly what they are. It's a pain to pick them out afterwards.

Yes, I wash the microfibers separately and clean out the lint trap in the dryer. I don't notice anything else in either the washer and dryer, but I'll inspect closer next time. I was wondering if it could be coming up from inside the washer, or maybe from the felt around the drums? Anyway, I'll try the added rinse cycle next time to see if that works.

cardude2000
05-11-2016, 11:29 AM
The debris looks to be bits of leaves or small "splinters." I'm not sure exactly what they are. It's a pain to pick them out afterwards.

Yes, I wash the microfibers separately and clean out the lint trap in the dryer. I don't notice anything else in either the washer and dryer, but I'll inspect closer next time. I was wondering if it could be coming up from inside the washer, or maybe from the felt around the drums? Anyway, I'll try the added rinse cycle next time to see if that works.

Dude. I was literally picking out about two dozen tiny wooden 'splinters' from my large MF drying towel yesterday. I have absolutely no idea how they got in there. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone 7s using Tapatalk

thesilverone
05-11-2016, 02:55 PM
I use a lint roller on them after being washed. Keep them in a zip lock bag when not in use.

FLAVIOBR
05-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Hi friends, this has happened to me many times and just found this solution

DannyTexas
05-18-2016, 06:07 AM
I too have noticed this with my microfiber towels. All have been purchased through AG. I have the monster purple towels for drying and and waggle towels for glass. I wash them in a light amount of soap, in the washer separate from any other article of clothing or towels. Then dry them in a lint free dryer by themselves.
After washing the car and then drying with microfiber towels it leaves tiny "hairs" like the microfiber is coming off. Its vey noticeable when I clean the glass then go inside the vehicle to inspect and see a thousand tiny lint looking hairs everywhere from a microfiber that was freshly washed and stored.
So do these things start to come apart over time and leave the hairs behind when you use them? What is the life cycle of these drying towels? I bought the Guzzler and Monsters towels, about 4 of them a year ago and have used them a lot.
Is the a product of cheap microfibers or over use and age? Again, I purchased the expensive ones direct from AG and didn't skimp so I thought.
Thanks
Danny

Mike Phillips
05-18-2016, 08:15 AM
You know I wrote a whole section dedicated to this issue in my book on boat detailing.

How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-boat-book.html)

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/532/Boat_Cover.jpg

Why?

Because I wrote a section on how to remove scratches out of plexiglas and flexible plastic windows often found on boats. Upon writing this section I thought,

Not only do I need to tell guys how to remove scratches out of plastic windows but I need to show guys how to avoid them in the first place and this all starts with the things that touch the plasitc and this means towels.

The nutshell version is

Have a dedicated clothes hamper for nothing but microfiber towels.
Only wash microfiber towels with like microfiber towels.
Only dry microfiber towels with like microfiber towels.
Fold towels with a flat weave side and a fluffy weave side so the fluffy weave side is on the inside, not the outside.
Store clean microfiber towels in a dedicated cabinet, Tupperware container or gallon-sized zip-lock bag in your car or boat

And of course, always inspect your towels before you wipe anything with them.

The Robert DiTerlizzi Method (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/79586-robert-diterlizzi-method.html)

But yeah... I all the laundry here at Autogeek and as careful as I am I still find contaminants in my towels. Just think how bad they would be if I were not careful.

:)

parshooter
05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
I occaisonaly find the same things in a towel or two after washing. I'm thinking they get there between the time they are used on the car and before they get into the washer machine.

heckhole
05-18-2016, 02:12 PM
I've battled this myself - and I have no reason for these wood splinters, or whatever debri to be in my microfibers. It's obviously coming from my machines - somehow they are getting into my washing machine or dryer. So what I do now is - quick rinse the washing machine with nothing in it & vacuum out the dryer vent, give it a quick spin with nothing in it and since I've done that I haven't run into any mystery debris in my microfibers.

DetailKitty
05-18-2016, 02:16 PM
I get these from time to time. I pick them out by hand. I do what I can to prevent them form being picked up. All we can do.

andy2485
05-18-2016, 02:23 PM
clean your washer, and run it with nothing in it.

mrstop
05-19-2016, 12:56 PM
I was beginning to think it was just me. Sounds like we need a support group!

Thanks for the idea of the laundry/lingerie bag. I like how that one has a finer mesh than many I have seen. I'll have to see if I can find one in the US that is similar.

Hi friends, this has happened to me many times and just found this solution