PDA

View Full Version : Need help cleaning up the paint on my 2 cars....what products/pads to use?

KDR83
05-09-2016, 10:09 AM
I had both cars detailed this weekend and honestly after all said and done, not too happy with the results. Nothing against the detailer, I just don't think he thought the damage was as bad as it was....

I have a 2004 Lexus LS430, black.... it looks like the previous owner parked under the sprinklers for a while and the water spots actually etched themselves into the clearcoat of the car on the roof and trunk. The car also has a ton of light scratches, ones that don't even catch your nail but make the car look a little worn. What are my best options for getting rid of fine scratches and etched water spots, Mequires M100 with a cutting pad? I don't think I want to go as aggressive as wet sanding the roof and trunk...but maybe I have to? I was told by the detailer that he used M105 with a finishing pad and he wasn't able to put a dent on the stains nor most of the scratches.

2nd car I have is a 2003 Dodge Viper. It looks like the quarter panel and the passenger door were repainted at some point. The clearcoat finish is dull/milky on those 2 panels. The detailer did the same thing, m105 with finishing pad, m205 with finishing pad and something else....it looked great for about 24 hours but the dull finish came back. Would going more aggressive help? I've also tried mequires ultimate compound with the same results, looks great for a few hours but later gets dull again.

Heisenberg
05-09-2016, 12:13 PM
:Picture:

Any pics? Little strange M105 wouldn't touch the defects as you say, and they certainly wouldn't just appear again after 24 hours.

Was this done by hand or machine?

The Guz
05-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Looks like the finishing pad with M105 was not enough to get the job done.

KDR83
05-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Hey sorry for the late reply.

It was done with a machine, I am having the detailer come back with and try it again with a cutting pad, if the cloudiness still comes back I will just accept the fact the panels probably need to be repainted to get them to retain their shine. I have a feeling it's due to not aggressive enough of a pad simply as I had a bunch of faint scratches on the LS430 and none of them were removed during the detail, none of them catch my nail so I would think a 105 with a cutting pad should do the trick on them?

pictures of the viper...
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/polishdude1/CTS-V/20150808_185931_zpsyyhgafsa.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/polishdude1/CTS-V/20150804_190731_zps9wrchvhx.jpg

it looks a little better after the detail but not much, right after he

KDR83
05-20-2016, 10:28 AM
the top picture shows the difference when I just by hand go over it with mequires ultimate compound (bottom of pic), it goes away but comes back, exactly what happened when the detailer did the area