PDA

View Full Version : Living with waterspots

frankprozzoly
05-09-2016, 07:51 AM
I can see waterspots as I'm drying off 114. My car is outside 16 hrs a day. Obviously I can't polish every couple months. Is this just something I have to live with

Desertnate
05-09-2016, 08:06 AM
If you've got a good LSP on the car, I'd think the water spots are simply on the surface and would go away with the next wash. Where are these spots coming from?

My car sits out during the day as well while I'm at work which seems to lead to weekly washings and some weeks it's clean for less that 24 hours due to pollen and rain. Each time, simply washing it will remove the spots created from the rain. I could simply hit it with a waterless wash or a QD spray, but since the car is black I don't take any chances.

TTQ B4U
05-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Polish it up and just keep it sealed up. Even something like hydro2 will provide great protection and it really doesn't get easier than that product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

FUNX650
05-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Hi Frank,

What LSP are you using?

Bob

frankprozzoly
05-09-2016, 09:31 AM
I'm using megs 21 right now. I dry with duragloss or megs spray wax. It's hard to see the spots after the car is dry but they're there and I don't want them etching through. The spots are on the flat surfaces the water can't run off

frankprozzoly
05-09-2016, 09:32 AM
That doesn't make sense. I guess they're already etched since they're not coming off in the wash

motion732
05-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Could it be that the water you're washing with is element-heavy and that's what you're seeing when drying?

Maybe try a waterless wash next time, mixed with distilled water, so you'll at least know that any water spots at that point are not as a result of your washing.

frankprozzoly
05-09-2016, 10:12 AM
No, I'm using water from the cr spotless

FUNX650
05-09-2016, 10:21 AM
I'm using megs 21 right now. I dry with duragloss or megs spray wax. It's hard to see the spots after the car is dry but they're there and I don't want them etching through. The spots are on the flat surfaces the water can't run off

That doesn't make sense. I guess they're already etched since they're not coming off in the wash
•Trying the least aggressive measure first:
-Use one of these water-spot removers
(ex: I've had success with Meguiar's #47):

Results for Water spot removers - Search (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search/catalog-autogeek--keywords-Water_spot_removers--x-50--y-15)

-If this method doesn't work, then
go to a mild polish (like M205).
-Then, if needed, to a more aggressive
product like Ultimate Compound.

•(Once the water-spots have been removed):
-It does appear that the environmental
contaminates your vehicle is exposed to has
the proclivity to impart spotting when wetted...
-So try applying a coat of Finish Kare 1000P.

-Then:
Shouldn't be any need to use any of those
two "drying aids" when/after using D114...

Bob

frankprozzoly
05-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks Bob. I'll give those products a try. Is it possible that I'm not wiping hard enough. I'm always very cautious of how much pressure I'm using because I have it in the back of my head that I'm gonna scratch the car if I wipe too hard