PDA

View Full Version : Touch up of Uber Ceramic Coating

wil2007
05-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Applied coating for the first time yesterday.Once I got it out in the sun today, I noticed 2 sots on driver door that I think are either dry spots or high spots. What are my options to fix this?Do I need to redo whole panel. After all the prep and overall great results, I have to make this right. I tried to take a picture but could not get them to show. It is like 2 ghosts of the sponge applicator

rlmccarty2000
05-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Probably best to redo the entire panel. If you try to touch it up it will look uneven. Probably not the answer you were hoping for.

postaddict
05-08-2016, 11:46 PM
Applied coating for the first time yesterday.Once I got it out in the sun today, I noticed 2 sots on driver door that I think are either dry spots or high spots. What are my options to fix this?Do I need to redo whole panel. After all the prep and overall great results, I have to make this right. I tried to take a picture but could not get them to show. It is like 2 ghosts of the sponge applicator

Hi, as soon as my order arrives I will be applying uber as well. Can I ask how it went for you? Any tips for a novice?

wil2007
05-09-2016, 05:34 AM
Overall it went well. Lots of prep.As was advised to me,good work light. I think everything would have gone perfectly with better lighting

2011 Kona Blue
05-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Overall it went well. Lots of prep.As was advised to me,good work light. I think everything would have gone perfectly with better lighting

What lots of prep did you do?

wil2007
05-09-2016, 03:27 PM
What lots of prep did you do?

Wash,Iron X,Wash,Clay with Nanoskin,Clay with fine grade,polish with Menzerna SF4000,wipedown with Wolfgang Perfekt Prep

HazardousTR
05-29-2016, 09:13 AM
How would you redo a panel? Do you have to polish it out and then reapply? I have a few spots on my car with this problem as well so I'd really like to know.

Thanks

BudgetPlan1
05-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Eh, applied the Uber Ceramic to a black Vette about two weeks ago...noticed a high spot/smudge above one door handle about a week later when car finally made it outside. Took a white, 3" foam pad, dabbed some WG Finishing Glaze on it, buffed off the high spot by hand , hit spot with WG Paintwork Prep then some leftover Ceramic on one of those foam finger pads they include with kit per instructions. Blended right in, water sheds evenly over entire panel, no touch-up areas noted. Took about a minute or two. Your mileage may vary but looks fine to me with spot touch up.

HazardousTR
05-29-2016, 09:28 AM
Good to know it's pretty simple to correct. Looks like I have some work to do.

Thanks!

BudgetPlan1
05-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Good to know it's pretty simple to correct. Looks like I have some work to do.

Thanks!

Yeah, me too. Just found a spot on a black Subaru WRX that needs 'updating'...Doh! Funny how you don't see some of this stuff until the car is 'out in the wild' no matter how clearly you inspect after initial application.

wil2007
05-30-2016, 06:33 AM
As I looked truck over in sun, I found several spots.Hit them with Menzerna SF4000, perfect prep and recoated small areas. Blended in fine and very happy with product. Touch up proved to be very easy

HazardousTR
05-30-2016, 06:20 PM
Yeah, me too. Just found a spot on a black Subaru WRX that needs 'updating'...Doh! Funny how you don't see some of this stuff until the car is 'out in the wild' no matter how clearly you inspect after initial application.

Yeah especially when it's a black vehicle, the flaws show up a lot more. My black Challenger has a few spots I didn't notice until I got it out in the sun for a week.

Mike Phillips
07-05-2016, 07:37 AM
Just to chime in...

Probably best to redo the entire panel. If you try to touch it up it will look uneven.

I agree. For a perfect touch-up do the entire panel. That said, you can polish a small area and the chemically strip and the re-apply the Uber Coating and be sure to overlap past the polished area.

Hi, as soon as my order arrives I will be applying uber as well. Can I ask how it went for you?

Any tips for a novice?

Here's a full how-to write up that you could call a tip

Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96240-review-how-wolfgang-uber-ceramic-paint-coating.html)

In my opinion and experience, you really need a lot of high quality microfiber towels to chemically strip paint in order to properly prep it for the application of any coating.

Why?

Because as you're wiping a polished surface off assuming there are polishing oils to be removed, if they are coming off the paint and onto your microfiber towel then you need to be switching out to fresh towels. This means a LOT of fresh towels.

Each panels should be wiped two times and each time using a clean towels. A car with 9 panels would require 18 towels just for chemically stripping the paint.

A 4 door car has roughly 11 defined panels. There's also painted portions in the front and rear of the car that need to be chemically stripped if they are to be coated.

Roof
Hood
Trunk lid
Driver's side front fender
Driver's door
Driver's side passenger door
Driver's side rear fender
Back of car not the trunk lid
Passenger side rear fender
Passenger side rear door
Passenger side front door
Passenger side front fender
Front of car that's not the hood

If you compound and polish the car before coating it then you'll need microfiber towels for these two steps and you'll need microfiber towels for wiping off the high spots after applying the coating.

Just thought I would share this for anyone new to applying paint coatings.

:)