PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Zaino polish

E93to
05-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Hello. I am a noob when it comes to detailing. I have a question about polish and wax

For years, I've applied 2-3 coats of Zaino Z-5 PRO mixed with ZFX on my car before applying wax (Collinite 845). The polish has always been applied by hand.

Now I'm told applying such polish is redundant because it does the same thing as wax... Is that true?

Should I skip the polish, and do:

Glaze (Griot's Garage)
Seal (Wolfgang Deep Gloss)
Cure
Wax (Collinite 845)?

Thanks in advance!

Paul A.
05-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Z5 is a sealant and 2-3 layers of that is all you need to protect your paint. Unless you like the look of the Collonite on top of the Zaino, you don't really need 4 layers of what is the equivalent of "wax".

Zaino has always been criticized with calling their sealants "polishes" because most detailers refer to polish as a gloss enhancer prior to waxing, sealing or coating. Use of the descriptor "polish" has offered some confusion.

E93to
05-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Z5 is a sealant and 2-3 layers of that is all you need to protect your paint. Unless you like the look of the Collonite on top of the Zaino, you don't really need 4 layers of what is the equivalent of "wax".

Thanks for your input!

If I want unparalleled shine on my ca r (solid white), which process would you recommend? Would polish-glaze-wax make my car shine better?

E93to
05-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Ohh... That Zaino "polish" is actually a sealant... Gotcha.

What are some good polishes?

Would you recommend doing all four polish-glaze-sealant-wax?

Paul A.
05-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Unparalleled shine, for me, only comes with flattening my paint to level any imperfections with a machine. Swirls, scratches etc. need to be removed to let your paint reflect light perfectly. Once you've done that any LSP (last step product such as wax, sealant etc.) can be applied to protect that finish.

Z5 Pro was marketed as having some minor filling characteristics to somewhat mask any minor scratches. I would guess, if that is true, that after 3 layers you might see that benefit. Especially if you are not buffing down your paint with a machine firts.

My last question for you is how does it look to you when you're done. Many times we get caught up with what we "should do" and forget that what we are already doing makes it look just great!

E93to
05-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Unparalleled shine, for me, only comes with flattening my paint to level any imperfections with a machine. Swirls, scratches etc. need to be removed to let your paint reflect light perfectly. Once you've done that any LSP (last step product such as wax, sealant etc.) can be applied to protect that finish.

Z5 Pro was marketed as having some minor filling characteristics to somewhat mask any minor scratches. I would guess, if that is true, that after 3 layers you might see that benefit. Especially if you are not buffing down your paint with a machine firts.

My last question for you is how does it look to you when you're done. Many times we get caught up with what we "should do" and forget that what we are already doing makes it look just great!

Thanks for your input.

Z-5 DOES seem to have that "filling capabilities" since I see less hairline scratches after applying it. But it could be placebo effect.

After I'm done detailing, the car fantastic. On cloudy day, the car looks like it has clouds on the paint. Haha. But I want better shine... So I was wondering whether applying more products (mainly polish and glaze) would do the trick?

ScottB
05-08-2016, 03:40 PM
As offered Z uses the term Show Car Polish for its paint sealants (aka synthetic waxes). There is no abrasives and cleaners in the two main products. If you plan to polish, use a true polish that can remove swirls. A true polish is likely the step that brings the most to any paint. You will need to discuss machine or hand polishing, tools needed and towels to buff once you decide on the polish your using. Menzerna, Wolfgang, Megs and many more exist.