PDA

View Full Version : First timer seeking just a bit of advice

spiketoo
05-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Reading and watching, reading and watching - you know how when your bookmarks scroll off the page?!?

Ready for my first detail this week on my everyday car. Take 'decent' care of it but need to get some surface scratches out. Loaded up on a BOSS 15 and all the accoutrements.
So I need some advice on the best method for the pillars and bumpers short of getting a mini or an add'l 3.5 backing plate - not that those aren't viable options, just looking for some techniques on how best to work with what I have.

One scratch on one door pillar and a slew of them on the top shelf of the rear bumper which is about 4" or so in width. Everything says to keep the pads flush to the surface but not quite sure what the best methods would be to address these areas with 5" pad.

TIA! (https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=accoutrements&start=0&spell=1&biw=1536&bih=695)

GSKR
05-08-2016, 11:35 AM
It's doable with a 5 inch pad.on the pillars open the door so you can get at it without the risk of burning plastic or mouldings.also depends what pads you have and products as well.Dont use excessive heat on that bumper in one place to long,the paint could melt and it deosnt give you a warning like sheet metal.

DaveT435
05-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Depending on what kind of car there are probably a few spots you'll have to do by hand. I've got the smaller tools so it's been quite a while. You'll find the pillars are actually pretty easy. Just a matter of getting the right angle and pressure to keep the pad spinning. Be careful not to have much compound/polish on the pad or you'll have a mess. I always kept it at lower speeds. When all I had was my PC a lot of times on the smaller area of the bumper covers I would only have the edge of the pads on the area. That was with thick CCS pads though. I would be careful with the Boss pads. Again use lower speeds. You'll get the hang of it. Use good judgement if using this method. Not much give to the edges of that Boss pads. Hopefully someone will come along with some better tips, like I said it's been a long time since I did a car with just a 5.5 inch pad

ski2
05-08-2016, 11:46 AM
This is why IMO it's best to start with a conventional 8mm throw DA like a GG6, PC or HF all of which you can equip with a 3" or 4" backing plate and appropriate pads to tackle the small bits like pillars and bumpers etc. Then later go for a Rupes or Boss or Flex long throw polisher.

Paul A.
05-08-2016, 12:42 PM
For the rear bumper shelf, try opening the trunk to expose more surface area if you have any.

David Hayward
05-08-2016, 01:14 PM
The pad can overlap off of the panel as long as you keep it spinning. It will take some playing around but it's very doable. I used my boss 21 with 6 inch plate on a quick production job and, while not convenient, I used it on every spot. Time and money on the job didn't cover switching polishers for different areas. So it's very doable.