PDA

View Full Version : DA work without claying?

AZpolisher15
05-06-2016, 06:03 PM
I'd like to put a coat of wax on my dads black Nissan maxima. A Daily driver and I don't wanna spend a whole lot of time on it. Am I asking for trouble by skipping the clay step before applying Mirror Bright Polishing Wax with a GG6? The car is 3 years old and never been clayed before. I wax it once a year by hand with no problems- but with a DA.... What say you?

custmsprty
05-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Go for it.

Kamakaz1961
05-06-2016, 06:32 PM
If it were me clay. I bet you it will feel like sand paper with the baggie test. If you want to wax without claying go ahead, but remember it is only 1/2 done or maybe 1/4 done right.

AZpolisher15
05-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I realize it's not ideal. But I'm a busy guy these days. I'd like to just run over after he washes it, apply a quick coat of wax, and be done with it for the year. I'd handle my own car differently. But dad just wants to see some beading when it rains. I was just concerned about pig-tails and such when working with a DA without claying.

Thanks, guys!

FUNX650
05-06-2016, 07:06 PM
•The Meguiar's Mirror Bright products are
meant to evoke "Old School" memories.

•My memories of the "Old School Era"
does not include using automotive Clay.
(can't use something not yet invented)

Yet:
I'd first wash/dry; next I'd slather on some
old school Car Wax; then, using my trusty
"wheel", I'd buff it to a shine I could see
the seam of Betty Lou's nylons in it!!

Bob

custmsprty
05-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I realize it's not ideal. But I'm a busy guy these days. I'd like to just run over after he washes it, apply a quick coat of wax, and be done with it for the year. I'd handle my own car differently. But dad just wants to see some beading when it rains. I was just concerned about pig-tails and such when working with a DA without claying.

Thanks, guys!

You'll be fine bit don't expect more than a few months of protection with that product and definitely not a year.

TTQ B4U
05-06-2016, 07:16 PM

If you're not going to polish it and really amp up the shine, I would get some CarPro TRIX (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/60668-review-carpro-trix.html)giving it a good decontamination (works great), wash it again quickly with your favorite detergent/soap and then while it's wet it, seal it up with Hydro 2 (http://www.autogeek.net/hydro2.html).

That's what I'd do until you get some time, perhaps for fathers day, to clean it up for him.

The Guz
05-06-2016, 07:52 PM
I'd clay as well. It won't add that much additional time to clay and the apply polisihng wax with a polishing pad to give you a little bit of correction. Basically treat is like a compound. Should take you about 4-5 hours to do the job on a maxima.

GSKR
05-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Spray wax it for now and be done with it.Do it properly when you have time.Its kinda takin a shower with a rain coat on,must clay most important part of the job.

AZpolisher15
05-06-2016, 10:09 PM
I'd clay as well. It won't add that much additional time to clay and the apply polisihng wax with a polishing pad to give you a little bit of correction. Basically treat is like a compound. Should take you about 4-5 hours to do the job on a maxima.

Jeez, Guz! I was thinking more like 20 minutes! :)
(I'll save the 4 hours for my own vehicle)

The Guz
05-06-2016, 11:39 PM
Jeez, Guz! I was thinking more like 20 minutes! :)
(I'll save the 4 hours for my own vehicle)

What can I say. I go all out for my dad.

Spray wax it for now and be done with it.Do it properly when you have time.Its kinda takin a shower with a rain coat on,must clay most important part of the job.

If that's the case then do this.

AZpolisher15
05-07-2016, 12:24 AM
What can I say. I go all out for my dad.

If that's the case then do this.
I was joking. I'll clean it up for him nicely. I just don't have the time these days with work and school to spend a half a day working on it. I wish I did, as I'd much rather be detailing! Can you recommend a speed on my GG6 for applying the Polishing Wax? Im going to try a LC white pad (flat) for starters. Hoping I don't get hazing so I can make use of whatever abrasives are in the product. But if not, I'll just use a black pad. Just not sure about speed.

The Guz
05-07-2016, 01:05 AM
I was joking. I'll clean it up for him nicely. I just don't have the time these days with work and school to spend a half a day working on it. I wish I did, as I'd much rather be detailing! Can you recommend a speed on my GG6 for applying the Polishing Wax? Im going to try a LC white pad (flat) for starters. Hoping I don't get hazing so I can make use of whatever abrasives are in the product. But if not, I'll just use a black pad. Just not sure about speed.

I know you were and so was I.

Probably speed 4 or 5.

Paul A.
05-07-2016, 10:00 AM
I, like Bob, come from an "old school" history and way back before claying was even thought of nevermind introduced as a mandatory step. After we washed with maybe dish soap and maybe dried it off with an old bath towel, we would lay on the Simonize and rub it off! We thought it looked fantastic and knew we had some wax on it.

Nowadays you can't even think about laying down some wax, sealant or (God forbid) a coating before a full wash, decon with Iron X and clay or nanoskin. And that's just to get it ready for the machine work before even THINKING it's ready for wax.

I say you are still doing a good thing by at least going old school and getting some protection on that paint. You can always return later when you have more time and do everything in between.