PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar residue left on microfiber cloths?

Alan1
05-06-2016, 07:16 AM
Hello all,

Recently put 2 coats of klasse sealant on my car. Went ahead and washed my cloths in tide free and did a 2nd cycle in vinegar. Cloths smelt a little like vinegar when I pulled them out. Came out very nice though after I dried them. So I went ahead and washed the car with the mitt that was in the wash and dried that car. Well the car doesn't seem to have the "pop" as it did when I put those 2 coats of sealant on.

Can vinegar residue on my cloths take off the sealant when I washed and dried the car?

Thank you

Setec Astronomy
05-06-2016, 07:48 AM
What car wash did you use, and at what dilution rate?

Alan1
05-06-2016, 07:59 AM
Meguiars shampoo plus. About 2 cap fulls same amount I normally do.

Setec Astronomy
05-06-2016, 08:01 AM
I consider it unlikely that any vinegar residue had anything to do with it...or did you use like a whole bottle of vinegar in the wash?

Alan1
05-06-2016, 08:11 AM
haha no it was about 1/2 cup of vinegar. The car beads nice still just doesn't have that acrylic look to it. Can hardwater strip sealants?

Setec Astronomy
05-06-2016, 08:19 AM
It's more likely you left something on top of the sealant. Car wash soaps (and other soaps) contain surfactants which by design or accident are/can be left on the surface to alter beading, gloss, optics, etc. Or could be hard water residue or some combination of the two.

Just speculation of course because I can't see what you're seeing.

FUNX650
05-06-2016, 08:19 AM
More likely to be residues from the car
wash shampoo that's responsible for the
change in the appearance of the KHGSG
you are experiencing...not the vinegar's.

•Was the vineragy smell still present in the
microfiber towels/mitt after they were dried?
(mine never have it after their dried)

•How long of a time period elapsed between
the KHGSG application and the car wash
session you listed?

Note:
-LSPs, over time, will lose their "luster".
-As Mike Phillips has said: "If you want
your vehicle to have that just-Waxed-look,
then go ahead and Wax it".

Bob

Alan1
05-06-2016, 08:26 AM
It was about 3 days after the 2nd coat of klasse is when I washed it. Just applied the Klasse this past weekend. The cloths didn't smell like vinegar after they were dried, but once my drying towel got wet from the car I could smell a little bit of vinegar on it

uhohitsstevo
05-06-2016, 08:47 AM
I heard 2 coats of sealant actually dulls the look the sealant gives. If you want two coats it's recommended sealant then wax.

FUNX650
05-06-2016, 09:00 AM
I heard 2 coats of sealant actually dulls
the look the sealant gives.

If you want two coats it's recommended
sealant then wax.
Uh oh...
On several occasions, I've heard (actually it's
read) differently. Here's one such occasion:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/81110-how-many-coats-klasse-sg-topcoating.html

Go figure; amiright?

Bob

The Guz
05-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Shampoo Plus has conditioners/gloss enhancers in it which leaves something behind on the surface. You could be seeing the effects of the shampoo as previously stated.

Alan1
05-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Shampoo Plus has conditioners/gloss enhancers in it which leaves something behind on the surface. You could be seeing the effects of the shampoo as previously stated.

That might be it, ill try to wash the car with a different soap and see if the same results happen. Didnt feel as smooth when i got done drying the car, just squeaky clean.

I mixed some klasse sg with some 303 speed detailer. 1/2oz klasse to 8oz speed detailer. Works really well. gave the slick feel back and gave it a little more "pop"