PDA

View Full Version : Detailing as a college student

Kegan
05-06-2016, 12:44 AM
Currently in college, also working part time retail but hoping that I could make a successful job doing detailing on the side. I want to do mobile detailing, which will require me to use customer power/water. I have doing detailing as a hobby for about ~2 years, but really leaning towards making this side gig happen. A lot of family members, and friends who have got their car detailed from me have always told me to get some business cards made or put my name out there. As far as products and polishers go I have Rupes 15/21 Mark II, and Flex 3401. For prices I have always done a full vehicle inspection depending on what the customer wants, then give them a quote. I really hope that I can get this side gig going, in hopes of making a full time job out of it. I have a bunch of questions that need answers, and hope that you guys that are successful in the industry, or even doing this as a part time job.

1. Is it ok to use the customers water/power for washing, and polishing?

2. Is there someone you guys recommend for graphic designing, and printing business cards? I don't have a logo or business name yet; initials are NA if someone could come up with something. lol

3. Do customers prefer mobile payments, rather than cash? I am open to using any mobile payment system such as Square to make a customer’s life easier, and also attract customers.

4. What social media/marketing platforms should be used to get the word out there?

5. How do you guys price your jobs? I normally just quote a flat price, rather than hourly prices, open to any suggestions.

6. Will I need to be insured, if I'm doing this as a side gig (hobby) rather than a full business?

7. Should I get stickers printed to put on customer’s vehicle (with permission) to promote business?

Overall, I am looking forward to getting this part time job going, and hope I can attract a lot of customers. I have looked into working with other detailers in Houston, but I can't find any that are good. Most of them will take anyone, and hand them tools to start working on cars. I like to keep things professional in a sense, and offer what’s right for customers. In advance thanks for reading this post, and also know that I am open to any suggestions.

usmcpab
05-06-2016, 01:31 AM
1. It is okay. Many customers won't mind at all, after all your offering them the convenience of detailing their vehicle at their home.

2. I don't have someone to refer you unfortunately.

3. I take mobile payments just to add to the convenience factor, but mostly all of my customers have paid me in cash

4. I'd suggest Instagram/Facebook

5. Once I inspect a vehicle I can kind of gauge how long it will take, once I get that estimate I give a flat rate. I try to average around the 40-50hr rate.

6. Although you're doing this as a hobby, the term better safe than sorry comes to mind.

7. Word of mouth will be an effective way to promote business. I'd suggest something perhaps for your vehicle to promote business as well.

WashEngineer
05-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Answers to your questions are in bold

Currently in college, also working part time retail but hoping that I could make a successful job doing detailing on the side. I want to do mobile detailing, which will require me to use customer power/water. I have doing detailing as a hobby for about ~2 years, but really leaning towards making this side gig happen. A lot of family members, and friends who have got their car detailed from me have always told me to get some business cards made or put my name out there. As far as products and polishers go I have Rupes 15/21 Mark II, and Flex 3401. For prices I have always done a full vehicle inspection depending on what the customer wants, then give them a quote. I really hope that I can get this side gig going, in hopes of making a full time job out of it. I have a bunch of questions that need answers, and hope that you guys that are successful in the industry, or even doing this as a part time job.

1. Is it ok to use the customers water/power for washing, and polishing? If they allow it, then yes. If not, then no. I don't use water (I'm a waterless detailer) or the customers resources personally, so I can't comment on the chances of you succeeding with this model.

2. Is there someone you guys recommend for graphic designing, and printing business cards? I don't have a logo or business name yet; initials are NA if someone could come up with something. lol FedEx printing or Moo.com are great resources for business cards. Vista prints works too. Unless you have a local print shop you want to use, any of those are good choices...I've used them all. FedEx is best for speed, Moo has the best quality, Vistaprints is best overall value. As far as a logo, just put the name of your business in a cool easily readable font, or if this is REALLY tripping you up, have someone do it on Fiverr for $5. For your name, just pick something. You can ALWAYS change it later. This is cool thing about having your own business. It's your's so you can do whatever you want.

3. Do customers prefer mobile payments, rather than cash? I am open to using any mobile payment system such as Square to make a customer’s life easier, and also attract customers. My customers 100% prefer credit cards...but have both options available. Getting a reader doesn't cost you anything and you only pay them when you do customer transactions. Personally, I wouldn't use Square because they charge a higher rate for credit card use vs. payanywhere and some of the other credit card vendors out there.

4. What social media/marketing platforms should be used to get the word out there? This is going to depend on your specific target customer...but you can't go wrong with facebook. My specific TARGET customer for my consumer side is women age 35-50 who are busy...and those women are on facebook and pintrest after 5pm on most weekdays. For my "commercial" side of my service I use LinkedIN and also facebook...some of those customers use twitter as well. I suggest you figure out who your VERY SPECIFIC target customer is first and go from there. Are you going to start with targeting businesses or consumers? What kind of consumers are you targeting? There's a thread you would find really helpful about stupid mistakes a lot of us made when we first started out > http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/99563-what-not-do.html

5. How do you guys price your jobs? I normally just quote a flat price, rather than hourly prices, open to any suggestions. Flat price...I've NEVER done an hourly rate. I use an hourly rate internally for myself and employees but never advertise that. I've seen some people who have been successful with an hourly rate but I personally have not.

6. Will I need to be insured, if I'm doing this as a side gig (hobby) rather than a full business? If you go without insurace, you're washing 100% at risk. My suggestion is that you NEVER drive a car unless you have to. I've heard and seen some CRAZY horror stories of detailers who have messed up a car just parking it or backing it up. In my business with myself and my employees is that we do not drive any cars, PERIOD. We let the customer move the car or it stays in its spot. This may not work since you're planning on using water in your business, but keep that in mind. When I started out, I didn't have insurance and once I could afford it, I got it first thing. Keep in mind also, that when you're driving your car to and from a detail and you get into an accident, your car insurance company may not cover the damage.

7. Should I get stickers printed to put on customer’s vehicle (with permission) to promote business? Since you're just starting out, I would say NO. Swag, sigs, vinyl wrapping, and all that other stuff can come later once you're actually making some real money. There's a post in the "what not to do" thread that addresses this >> http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/99563-what-not-do.html

Overall, I am looking forward to getting this part time job going, and hope I can attract a lot of customers. I have looked into working with other detailers in Houston, but I can't find any that are good. Most of them will take anyone, and hand them tools to start working on cars. I like to keep things professional in a sense, and offer what’s right for customers. In advance thanks for reading this post, and also know that I am open to any suggestions. It sounds like you've found a need in your market and a unique selling proposition over other detailing outfits. You actually know what you're doing vs. the other detailers. The question is, do the customers of these outfits feel the same way. Your customer mindset in PEFECT...EVERYTHING you do is to add value to your customer, ALWAYS And forever. Many business owners (including myself at the beginning) forget that very important principle. If you have more questions or need clarification on what I've posted, please ask on here or send me a PM or Email. We're all here to help! "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now"

Last note I'll leave you with is, I started my detailing business while I was in college, so if you have any specific student-business questions, let me know anytime!

pilotpip
05-12-2016, 09:01 PM
For question 2:

Does your college have a business school or marketing program? You may be able to approach a professor about help developing marketing. A student may be willing to help at a low cost because it helps them build their portfolio.

custmsprty
05-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Renny Doyle.

Start here, read it cover to cover then read it again and keep it handy:

How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business, car detailing book, best auto detailing books (http://www.autogeek.net/car-detailing-book.html)

WashEngineer
05-26-2016, 09:36 AM
What college are you attending?