PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used ONR or UWW+ on matte paint?

Mustapha
05-05-2016, 11:02 PM
I'm about to order a matte white or grey car (paint is called designo Magno Grey/Cashmere), and I'm wondering whether I can use the ONR or UWW+ bottles that I have? Apparently matte paint needs simple car soap and water without any agents to increase shine as used on gloss paint cars.

Also, any general positive/negative experiences with washing matte paint cars?

FUNX650
05-06-2016, 08:50 AM
I personally wouldn't use those two products
on matte finishes. I'll allege they contain those
("shine") agents, to which you reference above.

Then again:
Often it depends on how close to the OEM's
(original) "matte finish" a person wishes to
retain over the service life of the vehicle.

Bob

Nick McKees37
05-06-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm about to order a matte white or grey car (paint is called designo Magno Grey/Cashmere), and I'm wondering whether I can use the ONR or UWW+ bottles that I have? Apparently matte paint needs simple car soap and water without any agents to increase shine as used on gloss paint cars.

Also, any general positive/negative experiences with washing matte paint cars?

ONR is perfectly safe for use on matte finishes. It's only going to add gloss if the surface you're cleaning is glossy to begin with. :)

I'm sure ONR w/wax is as well, but it *might* be more prone to streaking and smearing on this type of finish. I would stick to the regular ONR.

FUNX650
05-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Also,
any general positive/negative experiences
with washing matte paint cars?
@OP:

Below please find an example of a typical
(what I'll call) "Release of Liability" form
the Dealership has the purchaser of a new
OEM vehicle having a "matte finish" sign
before delivery of the vehicle is effectuated.

{IMO:
This form, depending on which side of the
table you are sitting, can be interpreted as
being either a negative or positive experience.}

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=104811&size=1

Bob

Mustapha
05-07-2016, 03:03 AM
Glad to hear ONR is safe for matte! I bought the 128 oz/gallon size and would hate to let it sit unused given how great it's been for my current glossy car. I'll email Ultima directly and see what they say about their product.

I'll admit that liability form is intimidating, but I've read enough matte-owner reports that the paint isn't as delicate as snowflake. I've seen how roughly most people treat their cars and paint, so that form is likely targeted at that group and not the typical Autogeek/detailer car owner.

FUNX650
05-07-2016, 07:43 AM
I differentiate between the 'being safe',
and 'does/doesn't add gloss' factors.

Bob