PDA

View Full Version : How to explain detailing to average person?

Bill1234
05-05-2016, 09:41 AM
I feel like it is true we all love what we do here, except for the people who dont really know this hobby/industry well. Friends always will thank me for the great work I do but they often are confused on the whole process and I have a tough time explaining it to them. I also got a small customer base and I want them to feel just as good/ confident if not better and understand what is going on. How do you guys do this such as explaining the industry to people? I find it hard to do so when alot of it is logical common sense. I have to often use contracting as example as it is a thing alot of people want to do to their homes in the future. I guess just be passionate but dumb it down for them? What do you think mike?

ronkh57
05-05-2016, 09:59 AM
There was a great analogy comparing detailing to skin care & make up by Bonaventure detailing, but it's not on their web site anymore
So this will have to do.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/desktop/car_guy_logic_big_zpsssikvkpp.jpg

FUNX650
05-05-2016, 10:21 AM
IMO: It's kinda like this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=104758

Bob

Don M
05-05-2016, 10:25 AM
I have the same problem, I mean the ins and outs of a true "detail" are clear in my head, but sometimes I just don't have the words to explain it to a TRUE 'non-enthusiast' you know, the kind that aren't into ANY of the aspects of vehicle ownership.

Here's an example: I did this Honda Accord for a woman at work, it had (I thought) straight black paint. When I was done with the correction and polish, I found that it actually had blue accents (almost like metal flake) in the paint. so now the car was black, WITH a blue tinge to it Looked incredible. When I delivered the car 14 hours later, all I got was: "It looks nice." Nice, NICE! After 14 hours of claying compounding and polishing, all I rate is a nice?

I explained the whole process to her beforehand, I showed her the 50/50s before showing her the completed car, and still, it was just nice.

Just to show you all about how bad the car really was, here are a few pics from that detail:

#1 The clay bar after doing JUST 1/2 the trunk lid:

#2 The trunk lid after claying:

#3 50/50 of the hood after 1st compound

#4 Completed:

Does that look like it deserved just a "nice," or should it have gotten a "NICE!!!!!!!!"

ronkh57
05-05-2016, 10:27 AM
I find that a lot of people can't see the difference...

Don M
05-05-2016, 10:32 AM
That's why I prefer to detail a car for an enthusiast, either someone who is just 'into' cars, or someone who is 'into' detailing, but doesn't know "how" ... yet. THEY are the ones who appreciate the effort it takes to make a car outstanding. Especially gearheads, the ones who can build an engine blindfolded in the dark and have it make some ungodly amount of power, but are lost when it comes to the proper care of their paint (no offense intended to gearheads who can do both :) )

damaged442
05-05-2016, 10:59 AM
IMO: It's kinda like this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=104758

Bob

So much truth...

To some it is removal of contamination, scratches and swirls to achieve as flawless a finish as possible. To others, it is making a car clean and shiny. Yet to some, it's making a car not dirty.

I guess it all depends!

TTQ B4U
05-05-2016, 11:50 AM
The best way I've explained it to people who don’t really know or care is that a wash / wax that they traditionally perform is just that; nothing more than a wash and the wax adds a little shine removes some dirt but likely just and seals in the dirt and swirls.

Contrast that to a detail that decontaminates and truly cleans the paint and then adds in a polish that shines up the paint, removes all the swirls and imperfections and a true sealant that preserves the efforts and results achieved.

usmcpab
05-05-2016, 12:15 PM
I've tried my best to narrow down my clientele to the car enthusiast. I find that they to a better degree understand a detail vs paint correction, and value the work put into it. They are more than likely to take care of the finish. I do however get a good amount clients that want a "detail" for their daily. In that instance I either wil offer a clay/wax or an AIO. I learned early on that not everyone getting their daily drivers will appreciate and value a paint correction.

As far as explaining the difference, before I even get into explaining to a customer, I try to gauge their budget vs what they want done. Once I get this info, I simply inform the customer that an exterior detail involves cleaning and decontaminating the exterior, adds some shine and nothing more. Anything beyond that falls into paint correction. I explain the process and try breaking down for them Barney style for them. I use picture to better illustrate to customers the key differences. Visuals always helps, and sometimes all of a sudden a customer has a larger budget.

custmsprty
05-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Either male or female, I try to keep it simple. I say you know how you're wife/gf or to a woman how they exfoliate their skin then she adds protection? They say ah yeah. I tell them that's basically what I'm doing to the surface of their paint. Most men even get it LOL.